Gabriel Davis on this year's Superbowl: couldn't watch it, wants to be in it

Article from Orlando Sentinel on our Gabriel Davis.  Mostly "hometown boy" chatter with some interesting bits.  Overall, sounds like a young man with his head screwed on Super straight:

Gabriel Davis didn’t watch the Super Bowl. It hurt too much. Davis and the Buffalo Bills fell one victory shy of making it to the big game, and he preferred to ignore Tom Brady winning his seventh Super Bowl ring.

“I couldn’t watch it because it made my stomach hurt,” Davis said, “I feel like we should have been there.”

Davis was mentored during his rookie year by Cole Beasley, John Brown, Isaiah McKenzie and Diggs, among others, who created an incredible experience for Davis in the Bills receivers’ room.

“It was such a great room,” Davis said. “That room was the tightest, I feel, in the whole NFL. I learned a lot of things from the guys in front of me. … These guys are different when it comes to playing receiver and I just tried to pick up everything that I could.”

Davis takes nothing for granted.

“I knew I was so blessed to have the opportunity and I looked at my helmet every single morning, happy to be there … with an NFL helmet on an NFL team,” Davis said. “I know I belong in this league and I’m gonna show it every single year.”

He has a tremendous work ethic and a strong desire to work harder than anyone else. Davis entered the NFL very self-assured.

“I was confident. I took it very seriously. I was around a lot of pros at a young age, so I kind of felt like I already knew how it went,” Davis said. “Everybody’s human and everybody puts on a pair of pants the same as me and I feel like with that mindset, you can go out there and compete with anybody, no matter how big their name or what they’ve got going on above you.”

“A college coach once told me that you won’t find brotherhood or family in college ball, and I feel like I have been blessed to find that in high school and in college ball and now in the NFL.”

Also from One Bills Live, turns out his HS coach was former Bills TE Lonnie Johnson!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 9

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Davis was mentored during his rookie year by Cole Beasley, John Brown, Isaiah McKenzie and Diggs, among others, who created an incredible experience for Davis in the Bills receivers’ room.

How many young WRs can say this??!!  Great team.  Great culture.  GO BEELS!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Good. Spoils to the victors. Work hard and watch it from the field next year. 

Love this guy!

I hope he is playing.....not watching ;) 

Just funning a little.....I love Gabby too  :)

His play was way above my expectations....we haven't had that type of production from a later round receiver since Stevie J  :)

• Like (+1) 2

It's unfortunate to hear that he didn't view the Superbowl.  Makes him look like an immature idiot.  It's painful so he's not going to do it - grow up.

It's the pinnacle game of his profession.  He shouldn't need to be told to watch and learn at every opportunity.   He's young, lets hope this is the last time he says something so stupid.

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 9

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It's unfortunate to hear that he didn't view the Superbowl.  Makes him look like an immature idiot.  It's painful so he's not going to do it - grow up.

It's the pinnacle game of his profession.  He shouldn't need to be told to watch and learn at every opportunity.   He's young, lets hope this is the last time he says something so stupid.

I bet you're just a blast at a party.   

By the way, watching a commercial football broadcast, especially the Superbowl, is absolultely one of the least efficient ways of learning from a game.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also from One Bills Live, turns out his HS coach was former Bills TE Lonnie Johnson!

Friggin' Lonnie is teaching people how to play football and Bucky Brooks is deciding what players won't be draft busts.

Stranger than fiction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I bet you're just a blast at a party.   

By the way, watching a commercial football broadcast, especially the Superbowl, is absolutely one of the least efficient ways of learning from a game.   

It's tough love.  The Superbowl may not be the best way to learn the game, but it is reasonable for him to expect questions from his local press.  This year he came off as the lovable fool, that needs to stop.

He shouldn't be caught again with the  "I don't know I didn't watch it" response.  With that response he's less qualified than most here on an opinion of the pass interference calls.   The "too painful" thing needs to go.  Diggs was applauded for doing the exact opposite with his stunt of watching KC celebrate - self inflicting pain like a man.

This year he gave a rookie response, next year, no excuses.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It's tough love.  The Superbowl may not be the best way to learn the game, but it is reasonable for him to expect questions from his local press.  This year he came off as the lovable fool, that needs to stop.

He shouldn't be caught again with the  "I don't know I didn't watch it" response.  With that response he's less qualified than most here on an opinion of the pass interference calls.   The "too painful" thing needs to go.  Diggs was applauded for doing the exact opposite with his stunt of watching KC celebrate - self inflicting pain like a man.

Where did he say "I don't know I didn't watch it"?  Certainly not in the OP link. 

Never mind, proceed with your theories, they appear to be beautifully untrammeled by any links to reality.  From now on,  I will watch them (to be sure they don't cross the lines) only from a safe distance.

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The "too painful" thing needs to go.  Diggs was applauded for doing the exact opposite with his stunt of watching KC celebrate - self inflicting pain like a man.

Self-inflicting pain is a sign of superior manhood?

• Haha (+1) 1

Beane got us a good one in Davis, Gabe is self driven, and will have success.  Whiny remarks by a fan on this board about not watching the game are laughable on a good day.  Good on Davis for his actions, he is not answerable to the press or whiny fans. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane got us a good one in Gabriel Davis, I like that he has the sack to be honest in that he didn’t watch the SB, lots of folk didn’t watch it.  (the ratings where in the toilet) Gabe is self driven, and will have success.  Whiny remarks by a fan on this board about not watching the game are laughable on a good day.  Good on Davis for his actions, he is not answerable to the press or whiny fans. 

I like G Davis, doesn't mean I like everything he does.

Don't be applauding Davis for saying he didn't watch the pinnacle game in his profession.  You sound like a groveling idiot, in full spin mode, who can't admit a mistake.  Instead, how about we say Davis is a rookie who made a mistake.

• Vomit 1