Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The post I was referring to wants to trade up .. do you want to give up first and third for him?  

Absolutely. Look at the 3rd rounders this regime has drafted. Phillips, Knox, Singletary, Moss. I know that's a bit of an oversimplification since there are some good players drafted in the 3rd round. But we don't need contributors, we need day one difference makers. I'll gladly give up a 3rd to make sure we get one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Absolutely. Look at the 3rd rounders this regime has drafted. Phillips, Knox, Singletary, Moss. I know that's a bit of an oversimplification since there are some good players drafted in the 3rd round. But we don't need contributors, we need day one difference makers. I'll gladly give up a 3rd to make sure we get one.

Good teams need to find cheap contributors in the third round to fill the less sexy holes at DT, G and maybe even CB2...

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Good teams need to find cheap contributors in the third round to fill the less sexy holes at DT, G and maybe even CB2...

Yeah but we're trying to go from good team to championship team. We have enough contributors. Plus this year it's more difficult than ever to scout mid to late round players. You're betting on guys with limited college tape, no combine, limited player visits and pro days. Versus trading up for an x factor like Toney or Owusu-Koramoah where you know they can make game changing plays on day one. No amount of extra contributors would have beaten the Chiefs last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Mac lasts as long as I have him but whether that is late first or early 2nd I am not sure. Saints, Steelers, Bears and Patriots are the contenders I think to trade up for him.

Great work, BTW!

I agree.  He goes sooner.

I think it will be tough for the Eagles to pass on Smith and take Waddle.  People would go nuts.

Fields is a huge risk.  Half of his TDs last season came in 2 games.  He got destroyed by an Alabama D (he'll face one every Sunday).  He has 30 or more attempts 4 times in this career.  Ryan on the Falcons has averaged 36 attempts per game....for the past 11 seasons.

Daniel Jeremiah has your same first 5 lol!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but we're trying to go from good team to championship team. We have enough contributors. Plus this year it's more difficult than ever to scout mid to late round players. You're betting on guys with limited college tape, no combine, limited player visits and pro days. Versus trading up for an x factor like Toney or Owusu-Koramoah where you know they can make game changing plays on day one. No amount of extra contributors would have beaten the Chiefs last year.

Fair enough about this year being an outlier with the covid situation impacting the draft process... thats a valid point....

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Great work, BTW!

I agree.  He goes sooner.

I think it will be tough for the Eagles to pass on Smith and take Waddle.  People would go nuts.

Fields is a huge risk.  Half of his TDs last season came in 2 games.  He got destroyed by an Alabama D (he'll face one every Sunday).  He has 30 or more attempts 4 times in this career.  Ryan on the Falcons has averaged 36 attempts per game....for the past 11 seasons.

Daniel Jeremiah has your same first 5 lol!

But I don't think the Falcons are going to throw as much under Smith. They are going to be a variant of the Shanny stretch zone but with more inside zone runs. That means plenty of half field reads for Fields and throws off play action. That is the offense he has to go into IMO. Basically the majority of the NFL now is either running the Shanahan variant of the WCO off the stretch zone or variant of the pro spread. If Fields went to a pro spread team I'd be worried for him. If I was the GM of one of those teams he'd almost be off my board. But I think he has a reasonable chance to succeed in a WCO off the stretch zone. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But I don't think the Falcons are going to throw as much under Smith. They are going to be a variant of the Shanny stretch zone but with more inside zone runs. That means plenty of half field reads for Fields and throws off play action. That is the offense he has to go into IMO. Basically the majority of the NFL now is either running the Shanahan variant of the WCO off the stretch zone or variant of the pro spread. If Fields went to a pro spread team I'd be worried for him. If I was the GM of one of those teams he'd almost be off my board. But I think he has a reasonable chance to succeed in a WCO off the stretch zone. 

Is that his forte though?  Quick reads on short fields?  He seemed exposed by Alabama and even NW.  He's not a creator/quick thinker like Murray, I don't sense.  

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We are a championship team....just not a championship winning team. Yet.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is that his forte though?  Quick reads on short fields?  He seemed exposed by Alabama and even NW.  He's not a creator/quick thinker like Murray, I don't sense.  

They will be single defender reads. That is what the Shanahan system does. I think he will need to improve as a timing thrower but I think it is his ability to read the whole field that gives me pause for thought playing in a scheme that asks him to do that. If you can simplify that for him... especially early... I think he has enough physical talent to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

The post I was referring to wants to trade up .. do you want to give up first and third for him?  

Sorry if I misread that....no I would not want to give up that much draft capital for a WR when we have a good group now

Now.....if someone was to fall into our lap?  Or even in a trade down?

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

not a chance in hell.. he is slipping into the mid teens now. Enteinne might not even be there. 

I am wondering why you feel that way when RB's havent exactly been doing that in previous drafts

• Like (+1) 1

Fascinating.

Great stuff, Bill.

I see a few doubting they'd go CB in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised at all by CB, Edge or a physical OL as their three biggest needs, with three or four others in play if the BPA is obvious at that position.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Sorry if I misread that....no I would not want to give up that much draft capital for a WR when we have a good group now

Now.....if someone was to fall into our lap?  Or even in a trade down?

I am wondering why you feel that way when RB's havent exactly been doing that in previous drafts

Cause he is that good lol