Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I just can’t get behind a first round corner in any way. Not even close to our biggest need. We need to add an athletic edge, playmaker on offense, or an OT. 

Especially since we rarely play man. We seem to be in zone more often than not. Correct me if I’m wrong. Think the earliest we should draft a corner is RD3. Get a big physical press corner.

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Corner is probably the one position that would make me break a tv on draft night...

It wouldn’t make me break my tv. It’s not a stupid approach, but definitely not the approach I’d take.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for the entertainment. 

YOU DRAFTED A CB IN THE FIRST ROUND!  DIE!  DIE!  {cue the usual suspects}  That's not who I want to see the Bills draft, At All.  I think we have far bigger needs elsewhere and does the talent difference really justify that?  IMO, give us a pass rush and an upgrade at LB and we'll see

Question: If the Carolina Panthers win the "Watson Sweepstakes", wouldn't that involve giving up their 1st round pick?

Yes it certainly would but as I said this is a no trade mock. I agree there is a sort of logical inconsistency between saying they don't need one cos they might have Watson and then picking with a pick they will have to have given up. But my basic premise was I don't see Carolina going QB at #8. 

And my final word on the corner thing is... I did not set out thinking "I am going to give the Bills a corner." I just go pick by pick and say "this is the board, what makes sense in terms of value?" I had it down to Newsome and Leatherwood essentially and think the OT class is a lot deeper so there might still be one left worth considering at #61. Which is the sort of thing teams consider when they get it down to two guys they have similarly graded. 

I did know it wouldn't be popular and I almost thought "don't do it because it will dominate the debate" but I try and take that stuff out of it.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Happened to open my Google feed earlier and sure enough the latest Mock that came up had the Bills taking...you guessed it...the CB from Northwestern! 

He is a really good prospect IMO. As I said to @BillfromNYC earlier I have him as a top 20 or so player and if he played for Ohio State he would be getting that kind of hype.

Interesting.  I didn’t see that one coming, even though it could be viewed as a huge need and Newsome has been rising up the boards.  

I guess I didn’t see him as the perfect scheme fit.  Not because of his cover ability....he’s a slam dunk in that regard.  Height, length, movement are all plus plus. I didn’t see the fit as much due lack of effectiveness vs the run.  Maybe the nfl weight room will improve his functional strength enough to help him become at least average in that regard. Is he “Injury prone”?  Idk, but he missed at least one game in every season due to injury. 

I wouldn’t hate it.  

I’m coming around to the fact that we’ll have to bolster our pass rush via FA this offseason if we want to improve it to the point where it’s a weapon.  

the top 4-3 edge guys may all be gone before 30 and the next guys in line are 240-250 lb guys that project better in the 3-4.  The guy I have my eyes on, Patrick Jones doesn’t seem to project as a 1st rd pick according to most.  

I love the talent in the first 3 rounds in OL, DL, CB.  Adding a WR or RB in the first 4 rds could happen if we don’t add anyone in FA.  

Ideally,  if Bolton, Collins, Phillips, Rousseau and Paye are gone, I’d like to trade down (maybe twice if possible) and grab 1-2 extra top 100ish picks.  Adding 4 top 100 picks instead of 2 would do our roster wonders over the next 4 years if they develop into starters.  Trading down is easier said that done, but that’s best case imo.  Would love to get a combination of Patrick Jones, Jabril Cox and a versatile OL by the end of the 2nd rd.  Add Tyler Shelvin or T Slaton + Gainwell + Darden. With the next 3.  Wishful thinking 😂 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

You've got one of the best CBs in the league. You make the other work best you can.

We need to get after the QB.

I believe the Bills need to get creative in free agency to help the pass rush. I don't see any prospects who will "likely" be available at #30 who will make much of an impact in their first year. JMO.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I believe the Bills need to get creative in free agency to help the pass rush. I don't see any prospects who will "likely" be available at #30 who will make much of an impact in their first year. JMO.

This is correct IMO. We are right between the guys who I think have a shot to contribute year 1 and the next batch of guys who have talent but are a bit more developmental. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

This is correct IMO. We are right between the guys who I think have a shot to contribute year 1 and the next batch of guys who have talent but are a bit more developmental. 

Anyone know the phone number at the Panthers office? They usually seem to take our calls. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Leonard Floyd would be a good pickup at the right price. $4M-$5M/yr. Not a full time starter but maybe a decent rotational guy.

As far as the draft goes, it’s deeper than just an EDGE rusher being there, obviously Boogie Basham or Zaven Collins would be ideal pieces, but you could go for a LB or DT there too.. Owusu would be great, but probably gone. Could go with Jay Tufele, a very good DT prospect, can stuff the run and provide a pass rush. Can drop down even further than that and go after Tedarrell Slaton or Marvin Wilson.

Basically, if the value isn’t there for us at need positions, you trade down until the value matches up. Acquire draft picks for this year and beyond.

6 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Leonard Floyd would be a good pickup at the right price. $4M-$5M/yr. Not a full time starter but maybe a decent rotational guy.

As far as the draft goes, it’s deeper than just an EDGE rusher being there, obviously Boogie Basham or Zaven Collins would be ideal pieces, but you could go for a LB or DT there too.. Owusu would be great, but probably gone. Could go with Jay Tufele, a very good DT prospect, can stuff the run and provide a pass rush. Can drop down even further than that and go after Tedarrell Slaton or Marvin Wilson.

Basically, if the value isn’t there for us at need positions, you trade down until the value matches up. Acquire draft picks for this year and beyond.

If the board fell as it did in this mock I think the Bills would be very open to trade calls. 

EDIT: Not sure I see Floyd as a fit. He is purely a 3-4 OLB IMO, think he lacks the functional strength to play as a 4-3 end. He could come and just be a sub rusher on 3rd and longs but not sure you pay $5m for that. Carl Lawson from the Bengals would interest me - not sure how much he is expected to make on the market. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for the entertainment. 

YOU DRAFTED A CB IN THE FIRST ROUND!  DIE!  DIE!  {cue the usual suspects}  That's not who I want to see the Bills draft, At All.  I think we have far bigger needs elsewhere and does the talent difference really justify that?  IMO, give us a pass rush and an upgrade at LB and we'll see

Question: If the Carolina Panthers win the "Watson Sweepstakes", wouldn't that involve giving up their 1st round pick?

I am one of those suspects lol. I just think G, T, 1 tech DT, Edge, OLB comes way before CB

Edited And if one of the top 2 rb fall our way round 1? hes gone..

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I am one of those suspects lol. I just think G, T, 1 tech DT, Edge, OLB comes way before CB

Edited And if one of the top 2 rb fall our way round 1? hes gone..

1 tech, G, OLB much lower positional value. They are positions you can fill later. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1 tech, G, OLB much lower positional value. They are positions you can fill later. 

I agree about 1tech and guard, especially in this draft.  Looking at the off ball LBs, I usually agree, but replacing Milano will be a full time job and an extremely important cog in a mcdermott defense. We did well getting Milano in rd 5, I’m just not sure we want to put our eggs in a late rd lb again....unless they plan on starting Dodson or Klein.

I hope we can land, Collins, Bolton, Surratt, Cox, Browning, Moses, Tony fields and maybe Mcgrone as a replacement.  I haven’t looked into the rd 5-7 rd guys at all, so maybe theirs someone that can surprise.

We don’t even know for sure if Edmunds will be in our long term plans. I hope we can draft a guy we can depend on to be on the field 100% of our defensive plays for the next 4 years 

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know that you couldn't possibly be referring to me. :) 😮

Draft a cb while bypassing an Alabama OL no less!!

First, this is awesome and thanks for taking the time to do this again!!

I like a lot of your picks.  I think for the Bills I’d take OT Mayfield in Rd. 1, and hope Surratt is there in Rd. 2.  If not, might trade back or grab J. Williams from UNC.  

In other picks, I have Fields as QB2, and Lance as QB 3.  I even think that if the Jets are stuck with Darnold they (or the Falcons) could take a flyer on Lance hoping a year to learn turns him into a Josh Allen type.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

First, this is awesome and thanks for taking the time to do this again!!

I like a lot of your picks.  I think for the Bills I’d take OT Mayfield in Rd. 1, and hope Surratt is there in Rd. 2.  If not, might trade back or grab J. Williams from UNC.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Ain’t it a shame that Zaven Collins is gone before we pick and obviously I’m beating the Boogie Basham drum hard but if you took him out of the equation and that was my reality at #30 and I was forced to go by your board for arguments sake, I think I’d have to go Najee Harris there. I’m very high on Jay Tufele as well, you have him at #40, which is a nice spot for him. Maybe he rises, I don’t know but I would not be against trading back and taking him at the top of RD2 or maybe even at #30, but it may make sense to wait and see if Tedarrell Slaton is there or Marvin Wilson at #61. I have Tufele considerably higher than both but Slaton and Wilson would be very good pieces on that IDL.

I dont think you ever take a RB in the very-late first round.  I think you take a position where you might actually want the valuable 5th year option.

I know this is a NO-TRADE draft but, if I cant trade out of 30, I'm taking a much more valuable position.  As in:  Not a fungible widget who I can replace pretty much every year in the draft.

(and GB:  wow.  you should be paid for the work you put in.  As soon as I saw the title of the post, I had to pause and get my snacks and settle in for a nice, long, enjoyable read.  Thankyousir).

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I’d go OL or LB, or even RB at 30.  ppl that can make an instant impact.  Heck, I’d take TCU safety if somehow he is there.  

BTW, when are you doing round 3?!  😜

kidding, this is awesome. 

Giants getting Pitts is steal of the draft and will make that offense top 15 IMo.  

A lot of work you put into it, I appreciate it.

I wouldn't be opposed to going for a difference making DB.   Everyone is talking about the pass pressure which is critical but you also have to have a good defensive backfield. Without the DB's that can hold their man up to certain time period you have to have players that can cover long enough for the rushers to get to the QB.    I'm basically for the concept of drafting BPA (unless it's a QB).   

• Thank you (+1) 1