Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

Just now, whorlnut said:

I just can’t get behind a first round corner in any way. Not even close to our biggest need. We need to add an athletic edge, playmaker on offense, or an OT. 

In a passing league, having 2 top CB's under contract for 4 seasons.....that is what's called "having nice things".......I like nice things.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, TheBeaneBandit said:

In a passing league, having 2 top CB's under contract for 4 seasons.....that is what's called "having nice things".......I like nice things.

Dane Jackson played very well in limited snaps as a rookie. Again...not a big need. Let him and Wallace duke it out for CB2 and that will be good enough. What isn’t good enough is out offensive line if we lose Williams and Nsekhe. Or our DE room at the moment with Addison and Hughes not getting younger and Epenesa struggling as a rookie. And I keep saying...you need to score points with teams like the chiefs. Another weapon on offense for Allen would take this offense over the top. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Get nervous when drafting players high from lower level college programs like N Dakota State.  Yes many work out, but hard to project how that talent truly measures up against a WR like say a JaMarr Chase.  There certainly are a number that work out, look no further than Andre Reed, but still makes me more nervous drafting that high in 2nd round.

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Dane Jackson played very well in limited snaps as a rookie. Again...not a big need. Let him and Wallace duke it out for CB2 and that will be good enough. What isn’t good enough is out offensive line if we lose Williams and Nsekhe. Or our DE room at the moment with Addison and Hughes not getting younger and Epenesa struggling as a rookie. And I keep saying...you need to score points with teams like the chiefs. Another weapon on offense for Allen would take this offense over the top. 

Hey trust me I agree with all that too. If, and yes it's probably a big if, if the Bills somehow get creative enough in free agency CB as the BPA as the first draft pick makes sense. 

• Agree 1

Love your work and knowledge Gunner. Hopefully the Bills move and don’t take a CB at 30. There’s a plethora of CBs they can get later like a Keith Taylor or Bryan Mills. If they can’t get Bolton/Collins at 30, I hope they move down to acquire more picks. I also think Pittsburgh maybe looking at the offensive line. It was a bad group last season and Pouncey retirement won’t help. Teams will be looking to fortify their offensive lines and think there may be a run on them in the later first, early second. Parsons will go earlier and Mac Jones will be the Lamar Jackson of this draft. Not talent wise, but some team may want to move back up in the first to get him, if they don’t outright select him. Possible trade partner with Bills?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Mac lasts as long as I have him but whether that is late first or early 2nd I am not sure. Saints, Steelers, Bears and Patriots are the contenders I think to trade up for him.

I can see the WFT being a contender too and don’t sleep SF. Mac Jones destination is going to be based on the outcome of QB carousel, but Shanahan and Mac Jones will be a mean combination 

43 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Really nice job.  I enjoy reading your draft posts very much (along with several other very knowledgeable draft nicks that post here).

I agree that CB2 is a big need and would help the defense.  I would still prefer that the Bills grab a pass rusher in round 1, but agree that with the way the picks fell in this scenario that they would have to reach to pick either DE or blitz-capable OLB.

Does Radunz have enough ballast to be an effective run blocker and hold up to bull rushes in the NFL?

I like Teven Jenkins a little better

14 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Hey trust me I agree with all that too. If, and yes it's probably a big if, if the Bills somehow get creative enough in free agency CB as the BPA as the first draft pick makes sense. 

Corner is probably the one position that would make me break a tv on draft night...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Really nice job.  I enjoy reading your draft posts very much (along with several other very knowledgeable draft nicks that post here).

I agree that CB2 is a big need and would help the defense.  I would still prefer that the Bills grab a pass rusher in round 1, but agree that with the way the picks fell in this scenario that they would have to reach to pick either DE or blitz-capable OLB.

Does Radunz have enough ballast to be an effective run blocker and hold up to bull rushes in the NFL?

I think Radunz does, yea. Again he isn't gonna come in and be dominant out of the gate but I think he can be a functional starter and develop into a really good player in time. 

On the pass rush thing that is my preference too. This draft just doesn't really fall that way for them. They could move up or down the board in reality of course. 

54 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Get nervous when drafting players high from lower level college programs like N Dakota State.  Yes many work out, but hard to project how that talent truly measures up against a WR like say a JaMarr Chase.  There certainly are a number that work out, look no further than Andre Reed, but still makes me more nervous drafting that high in 2nd round.

how did that work out with Josh Allen? its not always about the school... its about the Talent in front of you and how much of a ceiling the player has and if the player is a student of the game type of player.

50 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Love your work and knowledge Gunner. Hopefully the Bills move and don’t take a CB at 30. There’s a plethora of CBs they can get later like a Keith Taylor or Bryan Mills. If they can’t get Bolton/Collins at 30, I hope they move down to acquire more picks. I also think Pittsburgh maybe looking at the offensive line. It was a bad group last season and Pouncey retirement won’t help. Teams will be looking to fortify their offensive lines and think there may be a run on them in the later first, early second. Parsons will go earlier and Mac Jones will be the Lamar Jackson of this draft. Not talent wise, but some team may want to move back up in the first to get him, if they don’t outright select him. Possible trade partner with Bills?

Agree on Mac. Someone could well be trying to get back into the first for him. I agree on Pitt but OL is much deeper than OLB. Which is why I have them waiting on OL help to round 2. 

45 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like Teven Jenkins a little better

I considered both. I went Radunz at this stage because he could play either position on the OL where they have a FA. If Williams leaves and Mongo stays and the need is a pure right tackle then Jenkins makes more sense.

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

Gunner I appreciate the work you put in... but... I am just not seeing CB in round 1. 

IF this happens I might find the closest shoe and break my tv lol...

Good job on the draft

I am not sure it will because I am probably slightly higher than most on Newsome (though people are finally waking up to him and he might not even be there.... DJ had him at #21 to the Colts this week) and after that none of the others are worth a 1st round pick after the top 3 guys. But if this was a better corner group at the top I think it would 100% be in play for the Bills. 

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I just can’t get behind a first round corner in any way. Not even close to our biggest need. We need to add an athletic edge, playmaker on offense, or an OT. 

And athletic edge he made sense wasn't there. OT is a really deep group and I don't think there is a lot of difference between the guys who will go late round 1 and throughout round 2 so you can wait and take one in the 2nd as I did. And Newsome is just a better player in my mind than the other offensive weapons on the board.

I also think corner is a bigger need than a lot of fans think. We only have 1 more year of control on Levi who is upgradeable even if we do RFA him. Dane Jackson has played a handful of snaps. And that is it. On the whole roster. If we want to be able to defend KC more effectively I think we need to have 2 corners who we are willing to single up occasionally.  

I agree that the Dolphins and Jets are the two most likely teams for the top two RB's in this years draft. Because of clear need and also largely because they each have so many extra picks they can afford to spend one on an elite player at a devalued position. Of course that could change if one of the two end up trading all of their picks away for #4 in Houston. 

If Etienne and Harris are as special as some think they are I'd be pretty tempted to take one of them at #30. Hard pill to swallow though with 2 young RB's already on the roster and taken on day two in back to back years. 

We will have a much clearer picture to our draft board once we get our free agents signed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

You've got one of the best CBs in the league. You make the other work best you can.

We need to get after the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the entertainment. 

YOU DRAFTED A CB IN THE FIRST ROUND!  DIE!  DIE!  {cue the usual suspects}  That's not who I want to see the Bills draft, At All.  I think we have far bigger needs elsewhere and does the talent difference really justify that?  IMO, give us a pass rush and an upgrade at LB and we'll see

Question: If the Carolina Panthers win the "Watson Sweepstakes", wouldn't that involve giving up their 1st round pick?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

And I keep saying...you need to score points with teams like the chiefs. Another weapon on offense for Allen would take this offense over the top. 

Also, the way to beat the Chiefs defense is utilizing the RB's and TE's in the passing game. The Chiefs defensive personnel and scheme is designed perfectly to shut down WR's in the passing game. Allen had two of his worst games of the year against the Chiefs defense because our offense runs through our WR's. Not our RB's or TE's. Now the question is, will that still hold true about the Chiefs defense in 2021 or will they have personnel and scheme changes?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1