Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

On 4/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, GunnerBill said:

Here is the update..... version 2.0 (only 1 round this time) is here!!

1 Jacksonville Jaguars – Trevor Lawrence, Quarterback, Clemson

No change here. Lawrence is the Jaguars’ pick.

2 New York Jets – Zach Wilson, Quarterback, BYU

Sam Darnold has gone and the Jets are now locked in on Wilson.

3 San Francisco 49ers – Justin Fields, Quarterback, Ohio State

The 49ers didn’t trade up to #3 for any other position. This is to select a Quarterback. The question now is which one? I know all the buzz is Mac Jones but I have felt since I started on Fields’ tape that he is a perfect fit in a Shanahan style offense that simplifies reads while he develops as a reader of the field.

4 TRADE! New England Patriots – Trey Lance, Quarterback, North Dakota State (Patriots get #4; Falcons get #15, #46, #122 & 2022 1st round pick)

The Patriots have been aggressive in upgrading their roster this offseason and they don’t have a toon of remaining needs but it matters for nothing without better quarterback play. If the 49ers are serious about holding onto Garoppolo then their only remaining option is the draft so they pay the piper and move up for Trey Lance.

5 Cincinnati Bengals – Penei Sewell, Offensive Tackle, Oregon

I have heard the rumours linking Ja’Marr Chase with Cincy and it would be a typical Bengals move. But I am going to give them more credit than they’re due here and stick with my prediction that they select Penei Sewell to protect Joe Burrow’s blindside for the next decade.

6 Miami Dolphins – Kyle Pitts, Tight End, Florida

Miami’s free agent addition of Will Fuller gives them the speedy separator at receiver that I think was an essential need. They could still add a further receiver at this spot but Kyle Pitts is almost a receiver and tight end rolled into one and is an intriguing option.

7 Detroit Lions – Micah Parsons, Linebacker, Penn State

Everyone has been mocking a wide receiver here and with good reason, the Lions’ top 3 options left in free agency. However, think back to the Dan Campbell press conference. Did that sound like a guy about to draft a receiver with his first pick? Or would a hard hitting linebacker (also a major need for Detroit) be more his style?

8 Carolina Panthers – Patrick Surtain, Cornerback, Alabama

There are two ways the Panthers could go here. They could add Rashawn Slater and plug him in at left tackle but this is a deep tackle class and they might be able to address the spot in round 2. It is a comparatively thin corner class outside of the round 1 guys and so they nab Surtain here, who has the highest floor in the draft and can be penciled in as a long term starter.

9 Denver Broncos – Rashawn Slater, Offensive Tackle, Northwestern

The Broncos could still go corner here even though they brought Kyle Fuller and Ronald Darby in as free agents, but with Surtain gone and Caleb Farley’s back issue, I could see them passing and instead adding further strength to their offensive line. I would expect Slater to start at left tackle with Garrett Bolles sliding to the right side.

10 Dallas Cowboys – Jaycee Horn, Cornerback, South Carolina

Even before Farley’s injury I had heard that the Cowboys were really high on Horn. They have a desperate need at corner and he fits nicely in the scheme that new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn wants to run.

11 New York Giants – Jaylen Waddle, Wide Receiver, Alabama

Even with Kenny Golladay in the fold this is a need for the Giants. Waddle’s speed and ability to line up all over the formation is a good compliment for Golladay’s vertical threat.

12 Philadelphia Eagles – Ja’Marr Chase, Wide Receiver, LSU

The Eagles might have taken Jalon Reagor in the first-round last year but even if that works out longer term they still have a need for playmakers on the outside and the way the board has fallen Chase is easily the best player available.

13 Los Angeles Chargers – DeVonta Smith, Wide Receiver, Alabama

The Chargers have a big need at tackle but it’s a good class and they might well be able to fill that spot in round two. Smith is the best player available and while the Chargers don’t have an immediate need at receiver, Mike Williams is a free agent after this season.

14 Minnesota Vikings – Kwity Paye, Edge Rusher, Michigan

The Vikings have a major need at edge. Other than Danielle Hunter, coming off a year away and surgery on a herniated disk, they have 7th rounders and undrafted free agents at the position. Paye is the best 4-3 end in the class.

15 (From New England) Atlanta Falcons – Caleb Farley, Cornerback, Virginia Tech

The Falcons have needs everywhere on the defensive side of the ball. I am not sure how Caleb Farley’s back is going to check out but his camp are describing his recent procedure as “minor”. It might be a risk the Falcons just have to take for a potential difference maker.

16 TRADE! Tennessee Titans – Gregory Rousseau, Edge Rusher, Miami (Titans get #16, Cardinals get #22, #85 & #100)

This trade works for three reasons… i. the Raiders, Dolphins and Colts are all teams who could be in the edge rusher market so you need to jump them; ii. the Titans tried and failed to address the position in free agency last year; iii. the Cardinals have no 3rd or 4th round picks in this draft and will be keen to replenish their stock in those middle rounds. Why Rousseau? I heard Mike Vrabel interviewed in the run up to the last draft and he said he really values length in edge rushers. Rousseau at 6’7 and with huge, long, arms fits the profile.

17 Las Vegas Raiders – Trevon Moehrig, Safety, TCU

The Raiders are a difficult team to predict but Moehrig is Mike Mayock’s type of football player. Smart, instinctive, flies to the football and forces turnovers. Two first round safeties in three drafts wouldn’t be great positional value though.

18 Miami Dolphins – Azeez Ojulari, Edge Rusher, Georgia

I mocked an edge rusher (Rousseau) here in v1.0 too but it makes even more sense to me now after Miami moved on from their two big 2020 free agent edge signings in Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson. I am not completely sold on the undersized Ojulari but he is a better fit for 3-4 teams like the Dolphins.

19 Washington Football Team – Christian Darrisaw, Offensive Tackle, Virginia Tech

I remain sold on this pick too. Left tackle is a big hole on a team that made the playoffs as a below .500 club but if they can sort out the Quarterback position they are not that many other pieces away. Darrisaw is not the finished article but his potential is sky high.

20 Chicago Bears – Mac Jones, Quarterback, Alabama

The Bears tried to sign Russell Wilson and ended up with Andy Dalton. I just don’t see how you can try and sell your fanbase on a Quarterback competition between Dalton and Nick Foles. If one of the five Quarterbacks falls this far you have to believe that Ryan Pace will feel the pressure to select him.

21 Indianapolis Colts – Greg Newsome, Cornerback, Northwestern

The Cots brough Xavier Rhodes back for another year but on a very modest contract and while he and 2019 2nd rounder Rock Ya-Sin mean the cupboard isn’t totally bare at corner they definitely need an upgrade. Newsome is raw but has elite coverage skills and feels like a Chris Ballard type of player.

22 (From Tennessee) Arizona Cardinals – Travis Etienne, Running Back, Clemson

The Cardinals have a need at corner and at interior offensive line but this is early for players at either spot. Kliff Kingsbury has his two big guys on the outside in D’Andre Hopkins and AJ Green but their offense needs explosive speed – and Travis Etienne is the man to bring that both running out of spread formations and as a receiver out of the backfield.

23 New York Jets – Alijah Vera-Tucker, Offensive Tackle, USC

The Jets spent their free agency dollars on the defense for the most part, while adding Corey Davis to 2020 2nd rounder Denzel Mims at wideout. Strangely though, given the Sam Darnold experience, they didn’t upgrade the protection for their latest franchise saviour at Quarterback. Vera-Tucker solidified himself as a first-round pick by looking equally dominant at left tackle in 2020 as he did at guard in 2019 and he could start either at guard or right tackle as a rookie.

24 Pittsburgh Steelers – Najee Harris, Running Back, Alabama

The Steelers brought Big Ben back and then re-signed Juju Smith-Schuster on a one-year deal. They are all in on a last ride in 2021 and to do that they have to find more offensive balance and so Harris makes sense as a scheme fit and an immediate upgrade at running back.

25 Jacksonville Jaguars – Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Linebacker, Notre Dame

Urban Meyer has always struck me as a guy who worries about what players can do and not what they can’t. I can imagine the Jags using JOK similarly to the way that the Chargers have used Derwin James – he might nominally start at safety but he would be let loose to go and make plays.

26 Cleveland Browns – Jaelen Phillips, Edge Rusher, Miami

The Browns need help on defense. I would, ordinarily, say that their back 7 is the greater need but with Olivier Vernon having departed the idea of plugging Phillips in opposite Myles Garrett might just be too good to pass on.

27 Baltimore Ravens – Terrace Marshall, Wide Receiver, LSU

The Ravens need more weapons for Lamar Jackson. The reason I see Marshall as a fit is his experience playing inside as a big slot. We know Jackson is a much better, more accomplished thrower inside the numbers and Marshall can run those tough routes across the middle and has the speed to go deep down the seam.

28 New Orleans Saints – Kelvin Joseph, Cornerback, Kentucky

The Saints are currently penciling in 33 year old journeyman Patrick Robinson in as their starter at corner opposite Marshon Lattimore and to make things worse Lattimore is playing on his 5th year option and their cap situation means a long term deal is tricky to do. Joseph is underrated and more than held his own against the best receivers in the SEC.

29 Green Bay Packers – Jamin Davis, Linebacker, Kentucky

It won’t impress Green Bay fans or Aaron Rodgers but I am going defense here and it is two Kentucky Wildcats in a row in the first round of the NFL draft! After letting Blake Martinez walk in free agency last offseason the interior linebacker spots were a major weakness in 2020, Davis is a beast and a day 1 upgrade.

30 Buffalo Bills – Joseph Ossai, Edge Rusher, Texas

This is not exactly the position the Bills would hope to find themselves in at #30 but a result of being a team in the hunt for a Superbowl is that you often end up without your first choice of players at end of round 1. We know that Dan Morgan was at the Texas pro day and very much focused on Ossai so maybe the Bills take a punt on the raw talent and athleticism here – even if he might not be a day 1 contributor.

31 Kansas City Chiefs – Liam Eichenburg, Offensive Tackle, Notre Dame

Everyone knows the Chiefs need tackle help and I am going to go for Eichenburg ahead of Alex Leatherwood and Teven Jenkins because of his ability to man the blind side. He is a polished, high floor player who is capable of stepping in as an opening day starter.

32 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Christian Barmore, Defensive Tackle, Alabama

The Buccaneers success in 2020 was as much about their fearsome defensive front as it was about Tom Brady’s offense, but they are old up there. Vita Vea is locked in as their nose tackle but Ndamukong Suh and William Gholston are the starters at those end positions of the 3 man front and both are well into their 30s. Barmore would give them some youth in reserve and ready to take over in 2022.

Okay... I'm gonna put my hard hat on.... flame away! :D

Hey Gunner, thank you for doing this. It was a very enjoyable read. You have a talent for this, you're better than 95% of all mocks.

Reminds me of Mike Mayocks mock drafts 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/11/2021 at 3:21 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed on Oweh - no improvement and he will be lucky to make it past year two.

It will depend a lot on the coaching and organization. I think he becomes a star if we draft him. I think he would be the best player on our defence year too. Edge is the most important position the be a freak athlete.

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

It will depend a lot on the coaching and organization. I think he becomes a star if we draft him. I think he would be the best player on our defence year too. Edge is the most important position the be a freak athlete.

I agree that his landing spot is absolutely crucial. Oweh was a really easy evaluation for me because it's really clear where his weaknesses are. I don't think it's all that hard to plot a path to success for him, it's just going to take an incredible work ethic and some tough coaching over the next 2-3 years.

From a Bills-specific point, I'd maybe look at him as a SAM in base sets and sprinkle him into the rotation as a rookie. As he proves himself, you up his workload. He's far from my favourite edge prospect but I could get on board with him as a long-term project. The problem is can you justify taking him where he's likely to be picked in favour of other players, especially when some people consider the Bills as a team with a legit Super Bowl shot?

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

From a Bills-specific point, I'd maybe look at him as a SAM in base sets and sprinkle him into the rotation as a rookie. As he proves himself, you up his workload. He's far from my favourite edge prospect but I could get on board with him as a long-term project. The problem is can you justify taking him where he's likely to be picked in favour of other players, especially when some people consider the Bills as a team with a legit Super Bowl shot?

I said the same a few weeks back in the thread after his proday. He isn't my guy, it's not a pick I'd like, but even more critically if the Bills draft him fans have to understand he is a project. I think any of the edge guys likely to be available at #30 are guys who would be situational only players as rookies. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I said the same a few weeks back in the thread after his proday. He isn't my guy, it's not a pick I'd like, but even more critically if the Bills draft him fans have to understand he is a project. I think any of the edge guys likely to be available at #30 are guys who would be situational only players as rookies. 

I've already given up on the idea that Jaelen Phillips will be there at 30 or that he'd be the pick. This staff hates the pass rushers that I like.

Edited by Blokestradamus

4 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I've already given up on the idea that Jaelen Phillips will be there at 30 or that he'd be the pick. This staff hates the pass rushers that I like.

They do like guys one bump on the head away from retirement though, example: Morse, Mitchell, so that could sway them.....

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They do like guys one bump on the head away from retirement though, example: Morse, Mitchell, so that could sway them.....

Watching his teammates slapping him on the helmet knowing that he had severe concussion issues left me a little sick, to be honest.

I won't fault the staff if he's there and they pass him over, I get it. The injuries are a major concern. I just absolutely love his game and think he's on a track to stardom if he can stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 4

On 4/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, Blokestradamus said:

I agree that his landing spot is absolutely crucial. Oweh was a really easy evaluation for me because it's really clear where his weaknesses are. I don't think it's all that hard to plot a path to success for him, it's just going to take an incredible work ethic and some tough coaching over the next 2-3 years.

If I felt this was our only year to have a shot at a Super Bowl than I might shy away from Oweh. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if he was making a big impact by playoffs. If we hit on an elite pass rusher this team is going to have a long Super Bowl window. Oweh is my guy at 30, I understand the risk. 

• Dislike 1

ZEROVOLTZ Mock draft 3.0  ....you might ask how this could be 3.0 if this is the first one I've posted......the answer is, this is my 3rd complete from scratch one that I've done...and for me to keep straight what I posted, it's 3.0 even though its the first and probalby only one I'll post here.  Thanks Gunner for letting me use this space to post.  I look forward to the comments....etc.... I think you'll find this mock to be a bit on the wild side...I believe the media doesn't have a good grasp of this draft at all....explanations with each pick.....I got through pick 40.....for a reason.

Some highlights.  Parsons falls.  The 4th and 5ht Qb's aren't as hot as many think.  Teams put off OT because they can get one later.  ...and as you'll see the Bills trade back.

1.  Jaguars.  QB Trevor Lawrence

No explanation really needed here.  The Jags are taking Lawrence and the second they controlled this pick, he was it.  They have sold a ton of season tickets based on the idea this is the pick.  It's a lock.

2.  Jets.  QB  Zach Wilson

The Jets have zeroed in on Wilson...it's been a foregone conclusion for a while now that he is the pick here.

3.  49ers.  QB Justin Fields

In my other mock drafts I at first had Mac Jones here...but within a very short time I had changed my thinking to Fields.....SF didn't expend this much draft capital for A) an immobile, bland, system qB in Jones....and I also doubt they spent it for a quantity as random and unkown as Lance.  Fields is the embodiment of the most recent stars....QB's who are pass first, big armed, good from the pocket first types, but who CAN run.  Think Mahomes, Allen, Rogers....Shanahan has hinted this is the type of QB he'd prefer in the past.  

4.  Falcons.  TE Kyle Pitts

I DO NOT believe the Falcons are in the QB market....and despite alot of hype, I don't think Mac Jones or Trey Lance are the kind of prospects a team moves up to 4 to get.  The Falcons restructured Ryan and he still has alot of good football left...they stil have Julio and Ridley....I just don't see this as a team that is at the point where you tear it down.  Pitts looks like the kind of TE that makes a difference.  It's traditionally kind of high for a TE, but he's the rare freak of nature prospect you can take here.

5.  Bengals.  WR Ja'Marr Chase

Many mocks have Penei Sewell here.  That's understandable.  Here is my logic here.  Chase is a major WR prospect.  They need to replace AJ Greens 110 targets.  Chase has a relationship with Burrow.....AND.....this is the kicker....this is one of the deepest OT drafts to come along in a very long time.  There will be some starting caliber OT availbe in round 2.  There is NOT a Chase level WR to be had in round 2....this is a deep WR draft class...but a good many of them are slot types.  The Bengals opt for the weapon and will wait to address O line later.

6.  Dolphins.  WR Jaylen Waddle

The Dolphins would be good with Pitts, Waddle, Chase, or Smith here.  Chase and Pitts are gone...so the pick here is Waddle...the guy with the juice.  He's not big but super fast...dynamic playmaker....the kind of guy who can take a short TUA pass and make soemthing of it.  Tua was 31 out of 31 qualifying QB's in accuracy on intermediate passes....this guy is able to help at what TUA does better...short stuff.

7.  Lions.  OT Penei Sewell

Even though I believe the Lions could use a QB here, like Lance, who  they'd have time to develop...the new GM is the guy who drafted Goff...and the new coach is a culture change guy and he wasts the Lions to be tough SOBs.  Sewell fits that mold....and fills a need.  

8.  Panthers.  OT Rashawn Slater

Many people are thinking this is a spot ideal for a team looking to trade up for a QB.  I continue to beleive that after the top 3 QB's are off the board....Mac Jones and Lance...aren't as well regarded by teams as they are by the media....and the Panthers got their QB...for now as well....they have a glaring hole at OT.  No trade partner...they go OT.

9.  Broncos.  CB Jaycee Horn

There are a good number of national media projecting Denver to trade up or stay at 9 and take a QB.  They are NOT.  Denver brought in a new GM, but retained the current coaching staff, giving them essentially an ultimatum to win now.  The new GM would likely not want to draft a QB at 9, that his win now coaching staff won't want anything to do with.  The current staff isn't exactly ideal for developing a QB even if they were inclined to do so..Vic Fangio is a d minded HC...when he was hired the Broncos, at Fangios urging, signed Joe Flacco...he wanted a vet QB that could run their PA attack....Drew Lock was an afterthought....now in a win now year, Fangio will roll with Lock, and they will draft a win now player.  If Parsons didn't have the red flag charachter issues...I think they might go with him...but CB is a need as they have guys on one year contracts and you can't have enough good CB's as it is.  Between Horn and Surtain....Horn is the better ZONE player...and that is what Fangio runs.

10.  Cowboys  CB Patrick Surtain II

One of the easiest matches to figure here...the Cowboys have a need at CB..they like Surtain...

11.  Giants  EDGE Jaelan Phillips

Dave Gettleman is an old school kind of guy who likes linemen.  The Giants pass rush sucked last year.  Phillips is a guy that can come in and start, and possibly be that missing piece the Giants covet.

12. Eagles.  WR  DeVonta Smith

Similar to the Cowboys....Eagles have a big need....and Smith is here....no need to over think it.

13. Chargers.  OT  Christian Darrisaw

The Chargers are going to do all they can in this draft to build a wall in front of Justin Herbert....Darrisaw is the protypical LT they are looking for of the guys remaining...some are higher on Teven Jenkins....Darrisaw is the better bet to be successful as a LT.  

14.  Vikings, IOL  Alijah Vera-Tucker

Again....what might be considered a prime spot to get ahead of New England for a QB....no takers.  The Vikings would probably have prefered an OT here....and would consider Jenkins, but go instead with the bigger need and bonafide interior lineman.

15.  ***TRADE***  Washington FT  QB Trey Lance

In a surprise move, the Patriots....thought to be looking for a QB...trade back to 19 and the FT comes up to get their QBOTF in Lance.  Football team wanted to insure they got ahead of the Bears here.

16.  Cardinals  CB Greg Newsome II

With the departure of Patrick Petersen...and no other real stars or players on the roster to replace him...the Cardinals take Greg Newsome here.....

17. Radiers  OL Teven Jenkins

The Raiders are a hot mess....and more than any other spot...they need O linemen...Jenkins played all over the line except C....he'll start somewhere on the the Radiers line immedeately.

18. Dolphins EDGE Azeez Ojulari

The Dolphins just continue to add high end players with all their AMMO....and Ojulari is another one....and again...there is always a need for edge rushers....

19.  *** TRADE  ***  Patriots moved back from 15 with WFT.  Patroit select...  LB  Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

Belichick just turned 69 years old.  I am inclined to believe that he isn't interested in trying to develop a young QB at this point.  They loaded up the roster to run a double TE, power run, RPO type offense with Cam.  Belichick adds some draft capital and still gets the guy he's wanted all along.

20.  Bears.  QB  Mac Jones

Somehow, Ryan Pace and Nagy still have jobs.  They apparently are going to be given another shot at finding a QB.....Mac Jones does have alot of the traits the Bears are looking for in a QB....and while there are other needs.....the staff knows without a QB they are toast...Jones represents their only chance at redemption.

21.  Colts.  IDL  Christian Barmore

The Colts have a need at DL....and while I don't like drafting for need....this is a week IDL class, and Barmore is the cream of a weak crop.  The Colts need a low lost answer here....and Barmore is it.  They do have a big need at OT as well...but again, as suggest earlier....this is a deep OT draft...the Colts will find one later.

22.  Titans.  WR Kadarius Toney

The need at WR is obvious, but I think some will be surprised that Toney is the pick here....the media isn't high enough on Toney...a track star...he can stretch a defense...and can be effectively deployed on sweeps and reverses, shuttle passes etc.  The most dynamic weapon of the options here.

23.  Jets.  RB  Travis Ettiene 

The Jets could go a number of directions here...but opt for a weapon that is multi dimensional out of the backfield....wouldn't be surprising if the Jets considered a DB here...but ultimately, they will rely on new Coach Selah to shape up the D, and will get the new QB and offense some weapons I think.

24.  Steelers  CB  Caleb Farley

The Steelers spring to the table to draft Farley...a big, physical, do it all, ball skills, whole package CB...they like....injury red flag allows this guy to fall here and the Steelers are more than happy to take the risk.  Something of note...they need OT here pretty bad....even IOL....but the Steelers historically just don't spend high draft pickst on OT....and rarely on IOL.  That continues here.

25.  Jaguars  S Travis Meohrig

Not much to say here other than....Jags have needs in their defensive backfield and Moerhig is a fit.  RT is a need, but once again....beign a deep draft at OT, a RT can be found later.

26.  Browns  EDGE Kity Paye

Cleveland is delighted to get Paye here....they are stacking up alot of talent on the defense.  They need pass rush help beyond Myles Garrett

27.  Ravens.  EDGE  Jason Oweh

The Ravens lost Matt Judon and NEED pass rushers in the worst way...the go with Oweh here....the man with no sacks..but the physical traits that say he should....

28.  Saints.  CB  Eric Stokes

Big need....and Stokes fits.  Being cap strapped as they are....Saints could use some other help at WR, and maybe Edge or LB...but biggest need is at CB.

29.  Packers.  OT  Liam Eichenberg.

Packers have a need at OT....Eichenberg is a very Packers esque lineman....not the most impressive or imposing physical specimen....he is technically sound...and not prone to mistakes....very refined.  smart.  Not going to be much help for a team that runs screens etc...but the Packers aren't that kind of team.  He can play left or right....

30  BUFFALO BILLS  ***TRADE***  .....the Denver Broncos Move up here to select.... LB  Zaven Collins.

The Broncos need a dynamic, do it all LB to really finish off their D.  They considered it way up at pick 9...but opted for a more surefire player in Horn.  Now they get their LB.  The broncos are in win now mode and they are loading up.  The Bills pick up some capital to move out of 30....I believe the players who will remain on the board at 40, suite the Bills well...and at better value than here at 30.

31.  Chiefs  EDGE  Ronnie Perkins

Most mocks have KC going with an OT here...some I have seen have Eichenberg...some with Leatherwood (not a fit)  and I have seen some with KC taking an edge...Jason Oweh usually...but I have him already taken in this mock.  I think Perkins is a guy the media isn't up to speed on and that pro teams have him ranked higher than media does.  The Chiefs get a guy big enough to play on the edge, but who will need to learn gap discipline.....beyond that..he's got juice and high motor to get after the QB and wreck the backfield.

32.  Buccs  EDGE  Gregory Rousseau

the Buccs are pretty loaded.....and have the luxury of going for something of a luxury...another pass rusher.  

ROUND 2

33.  Jags  WR  Terrace Marshall

Talented WR.....Jags loading up for Lawrence.

34.  Jets  LB  Micah Parsons

Finally, Parsons goes after a big fall....the Jets will gamble that HC Saleh and staff can keep Parsons out of trouble and help him grow up.   He's a major talent....lack of experience in coverage also a reason for this drop.

35.  Falcons  LB Jamin Davis

Maybe not at the top of the list of needs, but Davis too good to pass here....dynamic do it all LB.

36.  Dolphins  RB  Najee Harris

Loading up on yet more of the Alabama offense.....RB here for the Dolphins...amazing the roster they've turned over in the past couple years.

37.  Eagles  LB  Nick Bolton

Dynamic LB are having a run here at the top of round 2.

38.  Bengals  OT  Samuel Cosmi

Bengals took Chase in round 1, and land a starting caliber OT here in round 2.

39.  Panthers  WR  Rashod Bateman

The Panters let Samuel Curtis walk this offseason...and do have a need at WR...they are stoked when Batemen falls to them here.

40  ***BUFFALO BILLS***  Having traded back with Denver...the Bills select  RB  Javonte Williams.

Hear me out Bills fans....Williams is a physical back....who is a 3 down player....who excells in pass protection....and is known for broken tackles....he reminds me a ton of Steven Jackson.   He could do A LOT...to help the Bills already high powered offense...be less one dimensional, and give them a guy that stays on the field all 3 downs, that does it ALL.    I could not think of a player the Bills could add, who could do more to help NOW than this guy. (I am sure there are going to be a ton of you who don't agree)  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

16 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

ZEROVOLTZ Mock draft 3.0  ....you might ask how this could be 3.0 if this is the first one I've posted......the answer is, this is my 3rd complete from scratch one that I've done...and for me to keep straight what I posted, it's 3.0 even though its the first and probalby only one I'll post here.  Thanks Gunner for letting me use this space to post.  I look forward to the comments....etc.... I think you'll find this mock to be a bit on the wild side...I believe the media doesn't have a good grasp of this draft at all....explanations with each pick.....I got through pick 40.....for a reason.

Some highlights.  Parsons falls.  The 4th and 5ht Qb's aren't as hot as many think.  Teams put off OT because they can get one later.  ...and as you'll see the Bills trade back.

No explanation really needed here.  The Jags are taking Lawrence and the second they controlled this pick, he was it.  They have sold a ton of season tickets based on the idea this is the pick.  It's a lock.

The Jets have zeroed in on Wilson...it's been a foregone conclusion for a while now that he is the pick here.

In my other mock drafts I at first had Mac Jones here...but within a very short time I had changed my thinking to Fields.....SF didn't expend this much draft capital for A) an immobile, bland, system qB in Jones....and I also doubt they spent it for a quantity as random and unkown as Lance.  Fields is the embodiment of the most recent stars....QB's who are pass first, big armed, good from the pocket first types, but who CAN run.  Think Mahomes, Allen, Rogers....Shanahan has hinted this is the type of QB he'd prefer in the past.  

I DO NOT believe the Falcons are in the QB market....and despite alot of hype, I don't think Mac Jones or Trey Lance are the kind of prospects a team moves up to 4 to get.  The Falcons restructured Ryan and he still has alot of good football left...they stil have Julio and Ridley....I just don't see this as a team that is at the point where you tear it down.  Pitts looks like the kind of TE that makes a difference.  It's traditionally kind of high for a TE, but he's the rare freak of nature prospect you can take here.

Many mocks have Penei Sewell here.  That's understandable.  Here is my logic here.  Chase is a major WR prospect.  They need to replace AJ Greens 110 targets.  Chase has a relationship with Burrow.....AND.....this is the kicker....this is one of the deepest OT drafts to come along in a very long time.  There will be some starting caliber OT availbe in round 2.  There is NOT a Chase level WR to be had in round 2....this is a deep WR draft class...but a good many of them are slot types.  The Bengals opt for the weapon and will wait to address O line later.

The Dolphins would be good with Pitts, Waddle, Chase, or Smith here.  Chase and Pitts are gone...so the pick here is Waddle...the guy with the juice.  He's not big but super fast...dynamic playmaker....the kind of guy who can take a short TUA pass and make soemthing of it.  Tua was 31 out of 31 qualifying QB's in accuracy on intermediate passes....this guy is able to help at what TUA does better...short stuff.

Even though I believe the Lions could use a QB here, like Lance, who  they'd have time to develop...the new GM is the guy who drafted Goff...and the new coach is a culture change guy and he wasts the Lions to be tough SOBs.  Sewell fits that mold....and fills a need.  

Many people are thinking this is a spot ideal for a team looking to trade up for a QB.  I continue to beleive that after the top 3 QB's are off the board....Mac Jones and Lance...aren't as well regarded by teams as they are by the media....and the Panthers got their QB...for now as well....they have a glaring hole at OT.  No trade partner...they go OT.

There are a good number of national media projecting Denver to trade up or stay at 9 and take a QB.  They are NOT.  Denver brought in a new GM, but retained the current coaching staff, giving them essentially an ultimatum to win now.  The new GM would likely not want to draft a QB at 9, that his win now coaching staff won't want anything to do with.  The current staff isn't exactly ideal for developing a QB even if they were inclined to do so..Vic Fangio is a d minded HC...when he was hired the Broncos, at Fangios urging, signed Joe Flacco...he wanted a vet QB that could run their PA attack....Drew Lock was an afterthought....now in a win now year, Fangio will roll with Lock, and they will draft a win now player.  If Parsons didn't have the red flag charachter issues...I think they might go with him...but CB is a need as they have guys on one year contracts and you can't have enough good CB's as it is.  Between Horn and Surtain....Horn is the better ZONE player...and that is what Fangio runs.

One of the easiest matches to figure here...the Cowboys have a need at CB..they like Surtain...

Dave Gettleman is an old school kind of guy who likes linemen.  The Giants pass rush sucked last year.  Phillips is a guy that can come in and start, and possibly be that missing piece the Giants covet.

Similar to the Cowboys....Eagles have a big need....and Smith is here....no need to over think it.

The Chargers are going to do all they can in this draft to build a wall in front of Justin Herbert....Darrisaw is the protypical LT they are looking for of the guys remaining...some are higher on Teven Jenkins....Darrisaw is the better bet to be successful as a LT.  

Again....what might be considered a prime spot to get ahead of New England for a QB....no takers.  The Vikings would probably have prefered an OT here....and would consider Jenkins, but go instead with the bigger need and bonafide interior lineman.

In a surprise move, the Patriots....thought to be looking for a QB...trade back to 19 and the FT comes up to get their QBOTF in Lance.  Football team wanted to insure they got ahead of the Bears here.

With the departure of Patrick Petersen...and no other real stars or players on the roster to replace him...the Cardinals take Greg Newsome here.....

The Raiders are a hot mess....and more than any other spot...they need O linemen...Jenkins played all over the line except C....he'll start somewhere on the the Radiers line immedeately.

The Dolphins just continue to add high end players with all their AMMO....and Ojulari is another one....and again...there is always a need for edge rushers....

19.  *** TRADE  ***  Patriots moved back from 15 with WFT.  Patroit select...  LB  Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

Belichick just turned 69 years old.  I am inclined to believe that he isn't interested in trying to develop a young QB at this point.  They loaded up the roster to run a double TE, power run, RPO type offense with Cam.  Belichick adds some draft capital and still gets the guy he's wanted all along.

Somehow, Ryan Pace and Nagy still have jobs.  They apparently are going to be given another shot at finding a QB.....Mac Jones does have alot of the traits the Bears are looking for in a QB....and while there are other needs.....the staff knows without a QB they are toast...Jones represents their only chance at redemption.

The Colts have a need at DL....and while I don't like drafting for need....this is a week IDL class, and Barmore is the cream of a weak crop.  The Colts need a low lost answer here....and Barmore is it.  They do have a big need at OT as well...but again, as suggest earlier....this is a deep OT draft...the Colts will find one later.

The need at WR is obvious, but I think some will be surprised that Toney is the pick here....the media isn't high enough on Toney...a track star...he can stretch a defense...and can be effectively deployed on sweeps and reverses, shuttle passes etc.  The most dynamic weapon of the options here.

The Jets could go a number of directions here...but opt for a weapon that is multi dimensional out of the backfield....wouldn't be surprising if the Jets considered a DB here...but ultimately, they will rely on new Coach Selah to shape up the D, and will get the new QB and offense some weapons I think.

The Steelers spring to the table to draft Farley...a big, physical, do it all, ball skills, whole package CB...they like....injury red flag allows this guy to fall here and the Steelers are more than happy to take the risk.  Something of note...they need OT here pretty bad....even IOL....but the Steelers historically just don't spend high draft pickst on OT....and rarely on IOL.  That continues here.

Not much to say here other than....Jags have needs in their defensive backfield and Moerhig is a fit.  RT is a need, but once again....beign a deep draft at OT, a RT can be found later.

Cleveland is delighted to get Paye here....they are stacking up alot of talent on the defense.  They need pass rush help beyond Myles Garrett

The Ravens lost Matt Judon and NEED pass rushers in the worst way...the go with Oweh here....the man with no sacks..but the physical traits that say he should....

Big need....and Stokes fits.  Being cap strapped as they are....Saints could use some other help at WR, and maybe Edge or LB...but biggest need is at CB.

Packers have a need at OT....Eichenberg is a very Packers esque lineman....not the most impressive or imposing physical specimen....he is technically sound...and not prone to mistakes....very refined.  smart.  Not going to be much help for a team that runs screens etc...but the Packers aren't that kind of team.  He can play left or right....

30  BUFFALO BILLS  ***TRADE***  .....the Denver Broncos Move up here to select.... LB  Zaven Collins.

The Broncos need a dynamic, do it all LB to really finish off their D.  They considered it way up at pick 9...but opted for a more surefire player in Horn.  Now they get their LB.  The broncos are in win now mode and they are loading up.  The Bills pick up some capital to move out of 30....I believe the players who will remain on the board at 40, suite the Bills well...and at better value than here at 30.

Most mocks have KC going with an OT here...some I have seen have Eichenberg...some with Leatherwood (not a fit)  and I have seen some with KC taking an edge...Jason Oweh usually...but I have him already taken in this mock.  I think Perkins is a guy the media isn't up to speed on and that pro teams have him ranked higher than media does.  The Chiefs get a guy big enough to play on the edge, but who will need to learn gap discipline.....beyond that..he's got juice and high motor to get after the QB and wreck the backfield.

the Buccs are pretty loaded.....and have the luxury of going for something of a luxury...another pass rusher.  

ROUND 2

Finally, Parsons goes after a big fall....the Jets will gamble that HC Saleh and staff can keep Parsons out of trouble and help him grow up.   He's a major talent....lack of experience in coverage also a reason for this drop.

Maybe not at the top of the list of needs, but Davis too good to pass here....dynamic do it all LB.

Loading up on yet more of the Alabama offense.....RB here for the Dolphins...amazing the roster they've turned over in the past couple years.

The Panters let Samuel Curtis walk this offseason...and do have a need at WR...they are stoked when Batemen falls to them here.

40  ***BUFFALO BILLS***  Having traded back with Denver...the Bills select  RB  Javonte Williams.

Hear me out Bills fans....Williams is a physical back....who is a 3 down player....who excells in pass protection....and is known for broken tackles....he reminds me a ton of Steven Jackson.   He could do A LOT...to help the Bills already high powered offense...be less one dimensional, and give them a guy that stays on the field all 3 downs, that does it ALL.    I could not think of a player the Bills could add, who could do more to help NOW than this guy. (I am sure there are going to be a ton of you who don't agree)  

Javonte Williams, second best UNC RB in the draft.  No thanks.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

ROUND 2

The falcons have all but flat-out admitted they’re trading #4 to the highest bidder. 

Parsons might fall a little bit, absolutely no way he falls that far. Ditto for Najee. 

I can get wanting to have different takes but these are... somethin else. 

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

The falcons have all but flat-out admitted they’re trading #4 to the highest bidder. 

Parsons might fall a little bit, absolutely no way he falls that far. Ditto for Najee. 

Would you care to make a friendly wager on this?  I will bet the Falcons keep the pick and take Pitts.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

You’re right about Parsons.  Harris will be lucky to go day 2.  Too slow.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

ROUND 2

I’m on board with all of this and can envision it playing out, except I don’t think the Bills go RB with their 1st pick 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m on board with all of this and can envision it playing out, except I don’t think the Bills go RB with their 1st pick 

The Bills could do a number of things with their pick...or even Pick 40 or so, if they move back....they have options.....

I only went with J wIlliams because IMO.....even if he isn't the fastest etc...he has been very productive...and he is a very good pass blocker....I think the pass blocking aspect is huge...also....I think at times we all put too much of a premium on speed at RB....can the guy make people miss?  is he strong and breaks tackles?  When KC drafted Karreem Hunt...he was far from the fastest...but he had super high grades on breaking tackles and being pretty nimble for a man his size....and he was a willing blocker.....I can see Williams fitting the job the Bills need a RB to do.

And again....they can go any number of ways and get a contributor right away....

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’re right about Pardons.  Harris will be lucky to go day 2.  Too slow.

Harris is the best back in this class by a wide margin. I can’t tell if you’re being serious or hyperbolic, but if you’re serious you need to do more work on him. It ain’t all about speed. 

19 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Would you care to make a friendly wager on this?  I will bet the Falcons keep the pick and take Pitts.

You got it. 

20 hours ago, billspro said:

If I felt this was our only year to have a shot at a Super Bowl than I might shy away from Oweh. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if he was making a big impact by playoffs. If we hit on an elite pass rusher this team is going to have a long Super Bowl window. Oweh is my guy at 30, I understand the risk. 

Maybinot and Noweh.  

• Haha (+1) 1