Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

52 minutes ago, mannc said:

The other thing to consider is that, for whatever reason, the bust rate seems to be higher with offensive linemen taken in the top 10.  I just don’t see any way Chase doesn’t become a top 10 receiver in the league within a year or so.

I can.  His name is Tua

Just now, NewEra said:

You did say “within a year or so”.

I doubt Tua finishes the season as the Phins' starting QB, although I'm not sure who their backup is at this point.  And at any rate, it looks like Chase will be off the board at 5...   

Just now, mannc said:

I doubt Tua finishes the season as the Phins' starting QB, although I'm not sure who their backup is at this point.  And at any rate, it looks like Chase will be off the board at 5...   

so you’re saying that Tua could be a reason that chase isn’t a top wr within a year or so.   If the starting qb doesn’t finish the season as the starter, it means he stinks and would likely be holding chase back.  

why does it look like chase will be off the board at 5?  Falcons won’t draft him.  If they trade their pick it’ll likely be to a team taking a qB.  Cinci needs a LT and a TE more than it needs a WR.  

Just now, NewEra said:

so you’re saying that Tua could be a reason that chase isn’t a top wr within a year or so.   If the starting qb doesn’t finish the season as the starter, it means he stinks and would likely be holding chase back.  

why does it look like chase will be off the board at 5?  Falcons won’t draft him.  If they trade their pick it’ll likely be to a team taking a qB.  Cinci needs a LT and a TE more than it needs a WR.  

Maybe so, but all indications are that they are taking Chase at 5.  I actually think that's the right move, too.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Maybe so, but all indications are that they are taking Chase at 5.  I actually think that's the right move, too.

I hope you’re right.  Hopefully Atlanta takes pitts and Cinci takes chase. 

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Ossai a lot more than Oweh. But as I say a lot I am a floor scout as much as a ceiling scout. Oweh if there is no improvement is out of the league in 3 years.

All the draft profiles of Ossai I've read say he's a 3-4 edge player. That's not the defense we run, of course. Why do think they could take him in spite of the scheme mismatch? 

27 minutes ago, mannc said:

Gotta believe ATL trades out of that slot... 

yeah I’m sure they’d like to, but need a partner willing to dance.  The #4 pick ain’t cheap.  Pats, skins, bears.  Lions, steelers, Saints? It’ll be interesting.

I think Atlanta need SF to take Fields or Lance in order to get what they want in a trade back.  If SF takes jones, which I seriously doubt, the Falcons pick isn’t as important imo.

29 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

All the draft profiles of Ossai I've read say he's a 3-4 edge player. That's not the defense we run, of course. Why do think they could take him in spite of the scheme mismatch? 

So I agree with them. I think in order to contribute early he would be better in a 3-4 scheme because he is a significantly better rusher standing up than in a 3 point stance. If the Bills take him then as a rookie he is a 3rd down rusher only. But I think the raw materials are there to be able to learn our scheme. He has the size, he isn't like Ojulari who would always be limited by his body type as a 4-3 end. Ossai would be a project for the Bills rather than a day 1 contributor, but they clearly have an interest and if the board fell that way it might be a project they are willing to take on.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

yeah I’m sure they’d like to, but need a partner willing to dance.  The #4 pick ain’t cheap.  Pats, skins, bears.  Lions, steelers, Saints? It’ll be interesting.

I think Atlanta need SF to take Fields or Lance in order to get what they want in a trade back.  If SF takes jones, which I seriously doubt, the Falcons pick isn’t as important imo.

I absolutely think SF is taking Jones.  I just don’t think anyone wants to use the 4th overall pick on Lance or Fields.

• Disagree 2

23 minutes ago, mannc said:

I absolutely think SF is taking Jones.  I just don’t think anyone wants to use the 4th overall pick on Lance or Fields.

Personally, I think ATL should be thinking about Lance or Fields with the 4th pick. Matt Ryan is getting long in the tooth. Why not pick one of these young talents to groom behind Ryan? Fields would be the fan favorite. If Fields show to be the talent in camp, Ryan could be used as a pawn for future draft picks. Just remember the feeling of being in “QB purgatory”

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I hope you’re right.  Hopefully Atlanta takes pitts and Cinci takes chase. 

That would be a very Cinci thing to do but I think they go with Sewell.  Almost inevitable that Miami gets Pitts or Chase, it would seem, and depending on what the Falcons do with the 4th pick they may get to pick whichever is their favorite.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I think ATL should be thinking about Lance or Fields with the 4th pick. Matt Ryan is getting long in the tooth. Why not pick one of these young talents to groom behind Ryan? Fields would be the fan favorite. If Fields show to be the talent in camp, Ryan could be used as a pawn for future draft picks. Just remember the feeling of being in “QB purgatory”

They might not like either guy...both have serious red flags.  Personally, I wouldn't draft either in the first round and I would not be surprised to see them both fall out of the top 12.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

They might not like either guy...both have serious red flags.  Personally, I wouldn't draft either in the first round and I would not be surprised to see them both fall out of the top 12.

What exactly are the “serious red flags”? I get the fact that Lance only had the one year then decided to opt out, but he did put up some nice numbers granted against lesser competition. Fields, on the other hand, did it against some of the best. Are there warts...yes, but can be Compound W’d. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What exactly are the “serious red flags”? I get the fact that Lance only had the one year then decided to opt out, but he did put up some nice numbers granted against lesser competition. Fields, on the other hand, did it against some of the best. Are there warts...yes, but can be Compound W’d. 

Lance didn't opt out; I think his school just didn't have a season this year, other than one game, in which he didn't play very well.  He's only got one season of 1-AA football under his belt.  And although he put up great numbers that year, he was playing on a dominant team that did not ask him to even throw the ball all that much.  Maybe red flag isn't the right term, but there are serious questions about him.  He's probably going to benefit from the Josh Allen effect; a few years ago, I doubt he'd be discussed as a first round pick. 

Fields was inconsistent and again, played on a loaded team where he was throwing to wide open guys most of the time.  And I don't think the OSU QB thing can be ignored.  I'd be shocked if a team like Washington, just coming off the Haskins fiasco, would want to roll the dice again.

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

Lance didn't opt out; I think his school just didn't have a season this year, other than one game, in which he didn't play very well.  He's only got one season of 1-AA football under his belt.  And although he put up great numbers that year, he was playing on a dominant team that did not ask him to even throw the ball all that much.  Maybe red flag isn't the right term, but there are serious questions about him.  He's probably going to benefit from the Josh Allen effect; a few years ago, I doubt he'd be discussed as a first round pick. 

Fields was inconsistent and again, played on a loaded team where he was throwing to wide open guys most of the time.  And I don't think the OSU QB thing can be ignored.  I'd be shocked if a team like Washington, just coming off the Haskins fiasco, would want to roll the dice again.

Mac Jones was also throwing to wide open guys and played on a team with probably more talent than Fields. The only Alabama QB I know that had a HOF career is Broadway Joe. Haskins big problem was his off the field issues. Haven’t really heard anything about Fields except the Dan Orlovsky stuff. They say the best ability is availability, but I think culpability/responsibility trumps all.

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Mac Jones was also throwing to wide open guys and played on a team with probably more talent than Fields. The only Alabama QB I know that had a HOF career is Broadway Joe. Haskins big problem was his off the field issues. Haven’t really heard anything about Fields except the Dan Orlovsky stuff. They say the best ability is availability, but I think culpability/responsibility trumps all.

True regarding Jones.  It's a problem with evaluating QBs from teams like OSU, Clemson and Alabama.  Teams will have to look at the tape and see what's there.  I will say, Jones was far more consistent than Fields.