Gunner's 2021 FINAL Mock Draft on PAGE 21

GunnerBill

Thanks for the effort GB. I know that something like this takes time. There is too much work involved to just put this up in a few minutes. Posts like this are what makes this board great.

That said, it certainly does follow the old time, depressing Bills mode. I liken it to 2008 when the Bills, in desperate need of blockers, drafted the great, gifted CB Leodis McKelvin at 11. Ryan Clady went at 12, and Brandon Albert went at 15, two pretty awesome blockers. In this mock, we take another first round corner and Alex Leatherwood (who I think might be the most underrated player in this draft) goes on the next pick. 

Somewhere, Marv Levy and Dick Jauron are smiling. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thanks for the effort GB. I know that something like this takes time. There is too much work involved to just put this up in a few minutes. Posts like this are what makes this board great.

That said, it certainly does follow the old time, depressing Bills mode. I liken it to 2008 when the Bills, in desperate need of blockers, drafted the great, gifted CB Leodis McKelvin at 11. Ryan Clady went at 12, and Brandon Albert went at 15, two pretty awesome blockers. In this mock, we take another first round corner and Alex Leatherwood (who I think might be the most underrated player in this draft) goes on the next pick. 

Somewhere, Marv Levy and Dick Jauron are smiling. 

I still think we get a pretty good blocker at #61. To be fair I am a massive Newsome fan. I think he is the most underrated player in the draft. If he played for Ohio State or Alabama instead of Northwestern people would be talking about him as a top 15 player IMO. But I have moved your kid up in my rankings even this week. My first tape look I wasn't sure he could play left tackle in the NFL and would have to go to right tackle or guard. I now think he could, but I think it needs to be a specific scheme fit. To be a successful NFL left tackle I think he needs a man blocking power scheme. You couldn't put him in a Shanahan style zone scheme at left tackle and expect him to hold up in my view. 

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Interesting.  Fits some needs but I’m surprised you didn’t try to get an edge or OLB.

Yea what I try to do with these is not "fix" the draft so the Bills end up with a specific match (although I admit to being a big Newsome fan). I think they are in a tricky spot at #30 for edge guys. The first raft of guys I think could play as a 4-3 end - Rousseau, Phillips and Paye - are likely gone as they were here. Ossai and Ojulari are that next tier but they are 3-4 outside rush 'backers IMO and #30 is too early for the likes of Jones. What I essentially do is take the view that every team kind of agrees with my rankings to an extent (obviously they won't) and then say "okay if this was their board at this stage where might they go?"

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Bill, just like you to have such a classy response to a lot of hard work in GB’s mock.  I couldn’t agree more.  I’m not crazy about you’re Bills picks unless you’re assumption is they let Daryl Williams walk.  I understand if that’s the case.  I thought you’re Miami picks were spot onto what they will do.  

Again GB, that’s a heck of a lot of work, so not bad for a Brit. 🤪. Just kidding bud, my heritage is Irish and English.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bill, just like you to have such a classy response to a lot of hard work in GB’s mock.  I couldn’t agree more.  I’m not crazy about you’re Bills picks unless you’re assumption is they let Daryl Williams walk.  I understand if that’s the case.  I thought you’re Miami picks were spot onto what they will do.  

Again GB, that’s a heck of a lot of work, so not bad for a Brit. 🤪. Just kidding bud, my heritage is Irish and English.

The time that GB had to have put into a post like this is not to be underestimated. To rank 64 players you have to study at least twice that many, or so I think.  I agree with him in terms of the players that I spent hours watching except for 1, but GB probably has a better chance of being correct than I do . :)

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The time that GB had to have put into a post like this is not to be underestimated. To rank 64 players you have to study at least twice that many, or so I think.  I agree with him in terms of the players that I spent hours watching, except for 1, but GB probably has a better chance of being correct than I do . :)

I will confess to not yet having studied in detail all 64. I think everyone in my first round though I do now have a provisional grade on except the 4 QBs who I am leaving until last this year (but who I think we can safely assert will go top 15). It is about half the 2nd round that I have graded. Done all the corners, receivers and all the offensive linemen. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If the draft fell this way I think I’d rather trade down naji Harris would make an excellent second round draft pick

I think I would very seriously consider trading down 5-10 spots in that scenario for the Bills. Obviously this was a no trade mock.

• Like (+1) 3

Gunner, I do NOT agree with the following link (I am sold on Lawrence), but I think that Mac Jones will go in the first round. That said, if the draft were to go like yours, I would want the Bills to trade up and draft Mac in round 2. It would only be a few spots and would probably cost little. 

We will be in lots of trouble if Josh gets hurt. The value of qbs is HUGE these days and we could get a huge return for Mac if he played well in just a few games.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/19/former-nfl-coach-june-jones-has-mac-jones-ranked-over-trevor-lawrence/

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Gunner, I do NOT agree with the following link (I am sold on Lawrence), but I think that Mac Jones will go in the first round. That said, if the draft were to go like yours, I would want the Bills to trade up and draft Mac in round 2. It would only be a few spots and would probably cost little. 

We will be in lots of trouble if Josh gets hurt. The value of qbs is HUGE these days and we could get a huge return for Mac if he played well in just a few games.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/19/former-nfl-coach-june-jones-has-mac-jones-ranked-over-trevor-lawrence/

I don't think Mac lasts as long as I have him but whether that is late first or early 2nd I am not sure. Saints, Steelers, Bears and Patriots are the contenders I think to trade up for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Re: Bills - would like to see a front seven w/pass rush ability. Maybe it's addressed in FA.

Jets: Man - Any chance they stick w/Darnold? With bevy of picks, they could really do some damage elsewhere.

Giants: Fans would be ecstatic with your rather "offensive" selections. With a healthy Saquon back, no more excuse DJ.

7 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Re: Bills - would like to see a front seven w/pass rush ability. Maybe it's addressed in FA.

Jets: Man - Any chance they stick w/Darnold? With bevy of picks, they could really do some damage elsewhere.

Giants: Fans would be ecstatic with your rather "offensive" selections. With a healthy Saquon back, no more excuse DJ.

Bills - if it isn't addressed in FA they might need to be willing to move around the board to get in position to make the value work on day 1 or 2 of the draft. 

Jets - Still possible though trending against I think. 

Giants - agree. They have to do it. They have to give Jones weapons and then make their mind up this year - yay or nay. 

I appreciate the work and explanations for your picks Gunner. It's always a quality product. That being said, I would be quite underwhelmed by our first two selections. I'd rather have Leatherwood, Harris, or Wyatt Davis in this scenario @ #30. 

• Like (+1) 2

Great stuff Gunner....and thanks for taking the time. As I read through each successive pick I literally forced myself not to scroll down to the Bills selection.....but when I got there in both rounds my immediate reaction was... “WHO”? So seeing as how that’s been my reaction to so many Bills drafts throughout the decades, I’m going to guess that you nailed it. 😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

Problem I’m having is our front seven still remains in shambles. Bear with me, I just woke up and my IQ hovers around zero until I get my cigarettes and caffeine in (not much higher than it usually is when I’m caffeinated). Ultimately I think we should go DL back to back in RD1 & RD2. Ain’t it a shame that Zaven Collins is gone before we pick and obviously I’m beating the Boogie Basham drum hard but if you took him out of the equation and that was my reality at #30 and I was forced to go by your board for arguments sake, I think I’d have to go Najee Harris there. I’m very high on Jay Tufele as well, you have him at #40, which is a nice spot for him. Maybe he rises, I don’t know but I would not be against trading back and taking him at the top of RD2 or maybe even at #30, but it may make sense to wait and see if Tedarrell Slaton is there or Marvin Wilson at #61. I have Tufele considerably higher than both but Slaton and Wilson would be very good pieces on that IDL.

• Agree 1

Thanks gunner for all your work like others have said.

This is one of those drafts that take forever to come draft spot and all and the hope all bills nation know feels.

When the coach and gm say need to fix the lines it means no new toys for Josh to play with just a lot of big uglies

Which is great nut bills Nation wants a 4

2 running back that can catch and a 6' 7" tight end that run a 4.5 can block and catch and a de like Bruce Smith. Well boys and girls it starts with the trenches.

From one brit to another have a heck a good day old chap

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really nice job.  I enjoy reading your draft posts very much (along with several other very knowledgeable draft nicks that post here).

I agree that CB2 is a big need and would help the defense.  I would still prefer that the Bills grab a pass rusher in round 1, but agree that with the way the picks fell in this scenario that they would have to reach to pick either DE or blitz-capable OLB.

Does Radunz have enough ballast to be an effective run blocker and hold up to bull rushes in the NFL?

Thanks for the work GB.  For the record, I'm with Bill from NYC in that I'm hoping the Bills go with some Bigs (either DL or OL). 

An OL guy would allow for team controlled continuity with Josh for 4-5 years.  It is a sought after strategy to have OL continuity.  Having a first round pick developing into the mix would allow for small year over year changes for the next several years.

A DL is a huge need.  And from a team cost perspective they are great to have - the backup DLs of the world Murphy/Jefferson/Butler's are $8+ million apiece.  While many are not thrilled with Epenesa, he is already allowing the Bills to jettison one of the Murphy/Jefferson/Butler trio - saving $8 mill in the process.  If the CB is just a backup level guy, his place on the roster is only moving out a less than $1 mill guy (like EJ Gaines).

• Thank you (+1) 1