NFL looking for a 100% increase in broadcasting rights fees on new TV contracts

Big Turk

I just hope NFL Gamepass remains the same... living in Germany I get to see every Bills game live, at home. It's ideal. Also you get NFL Network with GMFB and the other shows, and it gives you a nice taste of home to see the commercials, even the ones for revolutionary nonstick pans and other crap.

46 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

ratings doesn’t matter.  It’s gotten marginalized.

it’s about the networks making a profit too.  Networks will lose money paying double what they are.

the games do not boost ratings on other programming.

They will lose a lot more by not having the NFL on their networks.

17 hours ago, thronethinker said:

This wont happen. People are finding ways to watch games without local fees or Tickets. Ratings are down. People had no choice but to watch at home this year, yet ratings are down. Not gonna happen. 

Television itself is dying and live sports is one of the primary things keeping network stations alive along with the "sister news stations" the networks have.

Yeah there was a dip in ratings last year, yet the NFL was still by far the dominant motivation for people to get in front of their TVs.  The NFL was smart a few years ago when they started putting games on Amazon Prime, too.  They'll have to keep moving in this hybrid direction.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

DTV is for suckers with all of the streaming options out there now.

True, but if you wanted ST, the only way to legally get it was with a DTV subscription first.  That's the problem DTV has, not enough people want ST so the rest are dumping DTV for streaming.  Plus enough illegal streams for games so even those who wanted ST, dumped  DTV and found the illegal downloads instead to some level.

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

There is a political breaking point if too many games are moved to pay TV only. The NFL has been granted many huge financial, tax, labor law and regulatory breaks that could become at risk if pay TV is taken too far, too quick. Maybe as someone said, if some kind of online gambling benefits could also be somehow included with the rights to the buyer, both the buyer and the NFL could further profit.

You likely will always be able to watch the 2 to 3 games each Sunday on local network TV, that won't change.  But if you want out of market games or redzone, they can and will charge for that not differently than today via ST, just likely will b coming fro ma different source other than DTV

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

ratings doesn’t matter.  It’s gotten marginalized.

it’s about the networks making a profit too.  Networks will lose money paying double what they are.

the games do not boost ratings on other programming.

Wow...this would be major news to the NFL, all of network television and every company that advertises on TV.

When will they catch on to this blockbuster info??

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow...this would be major news to the NFL, all of network television and every company that advertises on TV.

When will they catch on to this blockbuster info??

you obviously didn’t understand what I was talking about.

networks trying to cross promote their broadcasts doesn’t increase their ratings on other nights.  They get ad money they sell for the games they air. What ever small profit margin they have after factoring in the costs for tv rights the mar gains aren’t high enough to absorb the added fee costs.

last tinge I checked abc  still exists after they lost football. CBS did too.

if the nfl is asking too much networks back out and nfl could self destruct.

a real example of this was CART/ indy car racing.

given head injury issues football is on fragile turf going forward where athletes opt for other sports.

going all streaming will watch it die because only 15% of USA land territory is capable to handle large streaming.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

True, but if you wanted ST, the only way to legally get it was with a DTV subscription first.  That's the problem DTV has, not enough people want ST so the rest are dumping DTV for streaming.  Plus enough illegal streams for games so even those who wanted ST, dumped  DTV and found the illegal downloads instead to some level.

You likely will always be able to watch the 2 to 3 games each Sunday on local network TV, that won't change.  But if you want out of market games or redzone, they can and will charge for that not differently than today via ST, just likely will b coming fro ma different source other than DTV

This is what worries me I live in Mississippi and without ST I only get the prime time games and until this year that was maybe 2 games a year. And I live in the woods so I have satellite internet and if anyone has it they no it sucks so streaming games all day would be hard even just one a week. I wish they would give everyone a piece of the pie so there would be more options so if I wanted to pay DTV hi price at least I could still watch my bills. And if someone wants to steam that’s there to I would love to see something like pay for a game as you go it would be like ST you see all the games and a price next to them just like buying a movie. That way if the bills are on my local tv I don’t spend that money. I don’t no I’m just rambling off I hate paying DTV but be careful what I wish for with sorry internet. My cable bill is around 175$ During football season and I’ve been paying that for years. GO BILLS 

9 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

networks trying to cross promote their broadcasts doesn’t increase their ratings on other nights.  They get ad money they sell for the games they air. What ever small profit margin they have after factoring in the costs for tv rights the mar gains aren’t high enough to absorb the added fee costs.

given head injury issues football is on fragile turf going forward where athletes opt for other sports.

going all streaming will watch it die because only 15% of USA land territory is capable to handle large streaming.

I just posted about steaming I have satellite internet and it sucks no way I can watch a game every week streaming. So what ever happens I hope I can still get every bills game. 

11 hours ago, 97bills said:

This is what worries me I live in Mississippi and without ST I only get the prime time games and until this year that was maybe 2 games a year. And I live in the woods so I have satellite internet and if anyone has it they no it sucks so streaming games all day would be hard even just one a week. I wish they would give everyone a piece of the pie so there would be more options so if I wanted to pay DTV hi price at least I could still watch my bills. And if someone wants to steam that’s there to I would love to see something like pay for a game as you go it would be like ST you see all the games and a price next to them just like buying a movie. That way if the bills are on my local tv I don’t spend that money. I don’t no I’m just rambling off I hate paying DTV but be careful what I wish for with sorry internet. My cable bill is around 175$ During football season and I’ve been paying that for years. GO BILLS 

I just posted about steaming I have satellite internet and it sucks no way I can watch a game every week streaming. So what ever happens I hope I can still get every bills game. 

Think you'll be one of the smaller group that's going to be out of luck and not at all happy.  Don't know where/who this will end up with, but based on where the world is going, will be shocked if it's not pretty much exclusively streaming.  Maybe they will work out a deal with DTV or Dish to supply a satellite package to anyone who wants it for people like you without the base package, but even then it's debatable how long DTV or Dish will still be broadcasting and in business.

12 hours ago, djp14150 said:

I'm pretty sure that we all understood this to be true before you explained it for us.  NFL games are not used by networks to increase the ratings of nonfootball shows (except the occasional after the Super Bowl premiere of a show).  They are used to make money for the networks as the broadcast of games dominates the top 50 broadcasts every year (and every week). 

Last time you checked, was ABC still owned by Disney, which also owns ESPN, which  has a 1.9 billion dollar contract with the NFL for broadcast rights?

Last time you checked, was CBS still under a 1.09 billion contract with the NFL for broadcast rights (every Bills home game, for instance)?

Obviously NO network or other broadcasting entity would enter into a contract if they though they would LOSE money.  It's a negotiation...the NFL will get what it can, not necessarily what it wants.

No one cares about car racing on TV.  Everyone watches the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:17 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

DTV wouldn't have any problems selling the ticket.  The problem was DTV made you first subscribe to DTV for $100 to $150 to $200 a month (unless you're in the 1st year introductory offer) then on top of that now pay an extra $400 (asking price) for Sunday Ticket.  

Certainly the people paying $200 a month had a better chance of getting a discount for ST, but not nearly as much and also harder to get the discounts once DTV was bought out by ATT.  I don't really blame ATT for that either as I'm sure they basically came in and told DTV, you can't keep giving this away.

If DTV allowed people to purchase ST as a stand alone package, say the streaming version, likely could have sold much more ST subscriptions, but without that extra $100 to $200 am month coming in, they'd still lose money so didn't bother.  And yes I know in theory they did offer the streaming only for people who couldn't get service via a dish, but was still not that easy to get it.  I even put in the address of a nursing home and was told that address is ineligible.

That does beg the question though, how will Amazon make money on a stand alone ST like package if they still charge in the $300 price range?  $100 a year for Prime membership won't cut it at the rates DTV paid the NFL.

Yes, I agree. Bad Model. 

That huge cost buy in model was DTVs deal. I just cannot stand the company and relish in their demise.

I hope the better method is to sell a la cart, like most other sport sites. 30 bucks a game..etc...DTV eventually did this at 50 bucks per game. Too much too late.

I hate the notion of exclusive rights. I get it is a big lump sum pay check, but id rather just bid out the ability to stream at a set cost or profit share. Its also the lazy way.

That way they could sell the pay per view rights to multiple networks or services at a set fee.

That or the NFL develops its own network ( hey they have that) and own streaming service. 

Partnering with Amazon makes sense. Amazon has a good model, accesible, and could charge a la cart for choice content. They already do this, so its no real stretch.

You dont need to charge 400 bucks for a package if the outreach is 10x what DTV gets. The a la carte model makes more sense. 

DTV only has 14 million Subscribers...Amazon 112 million!

Could watch anywhere that fire stick gets a signal, much better.

Edited by RichRiderBills

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

Yes, I agree. Bad Model. 

That huge cost buy in model was DTVs deal. I just cannot stand the company and relish in their demise.

I hope the better method is to sell a la cart, like most other sport sites. 30 bucks a game..etc...DTV eventually did this at 50 bucks per game. Too much too late.

I hate the notion of exclusive rights. I get it is a big lump sum pay check, but id rather just bid out the ability to stream at a set cost or profit share. Its also the lazy way.

That way they could sell the pay per view rights to multiple networks or services at a set fee.

That or the NFL develops its own network ( hey they have that) and own streaming service. 

Partnering with Amazon makes sense. Amazon has a good model, accesible, and could charge a la cart for choice content. They already do this, so its no real stretch.

You dont need to charge 400 bucks for a package if the outreach is 10x what DTV gets. The a la carte model makes more sense. 

Didn't know about DTV selling single game package.   Agree $50 way too much.

Whatever/whomever is selling it, can't charge too much else the illegal streams will still flourish.  The quality of many of those threads was pretty darn good and became very reliable.  So I've been told!

Any idea how many ST subscriptions, thought I read someplace was only in the 1 to 2 million range??  I expected much higher.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:01 PM, 97bills said:

I hate paying Directv but what’s going to happen to us that don’t have good internet for streaming I have satellite and trying to watch a movie is painful sometimes any thoughts 

Well, if you believe Elon Musk - the Starlink satellite internet service will be quite fast and available for folks in your predicament. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Yes, I agree. Bad Model. 

The whole point of DirecTV buying the license was using it to make people subscribe to DirecTV. It's the same thing that cable companies do when they purchase a local baseball or local basketball contract. When my family had DirecTV, the company would basically give Sunday ticket away every year when it was time to renew because Sunday ticket is DirecTV's loss leader.

Whoever the NFL decides to sell their streaming license to is going to want to make money off of whatever they pay for the license. that means the price of the consumer probably goes up if say Amazon gets it, but at least up until this point the other streaming services have decided that they can't afford what the NFL wants.

The NFL discovered a long time ago that the real cash cow is it's licensing rights. The league doesn't have to pay all of the expenses of running the production or facilitating the broadcast if they just sell their license to a network or to a cable company or somebody else.

18 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Any idea how many ST subscriptions, thought I read someplace was only in the 1 to 2 million range??  I expected much higher.

That's about the number, actually a small percentage of DTV subscribers get ST.  

Heard today that the NFL REALLY wants to get the new TV deal done before free agency starts in mid-March so they can get a better idea of their finances going forward.  ESPN is holding out though and MNF is in danger...I think the World Wide Leader will capitulate though, and pay the king's ransom.