NFL looking for a 100% increase in broadcasting rights fees on new TV contracts

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

People cant foresee what is happening.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE assumed the salary cap would go up no matter what year after year, gee guess what happened?

Who knows, maybe some entity, Amazon, wildly over pays at the top, it wouldn't shock me.

Amazon worker #1: "Going home after shift and watching the games?"

Amazon worker #2: "Can't.  We're all working mandatory 16 hours to pay for the 'Amazon NFL'!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

11 hours ago, djp14150 said:

I don’t see it.  There have bern reports the networks were losing money.  They aren’t doubling the fees for certain loses.

ESPN already overplayed for its past deal expecting the quality game content that wasn’t in their Sunday night deal. Thrn the quality went doen.

The NFL is not as well run and forward thinking as they think.

I could go on with the above, but Goodell has IMO done a very sloppy job under his tenure with uneven, chaotic, and sometimes lazy strategy. 

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

The NFL is a well oiled machine. Ratings might be down but they’re down across the board for all professional sports. NFL is still king

I dont think they are that well oiled. Ratings were down before Covid an DTV had issues selling the ticket. There is still big money, but its not being maximized. 

28 minutes ago, mattynh said:

The entertainment industry seems to have no answer to the pirates so the growth will slow.

That's because there is no answer. Software companies have mostly given up the fight after 40 years.

22 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

The NFL is not as well run and forward thinking as they think.

I could go on with the above, but Goodell has IMO done a very sloppy job under his tenure with uneven, chaotic, and sometimes lazy strategy. 

I dont think they are that well oiled. Ratings were down before Covid an DTV had issues selling the ticket. There is still big money, but its not being maximized. 

DTV wouldn't have any problems selling the ticket.  The problem was DTV made you first subscribe to DTV for $100 to $150 to $200 a month (unless you're in the 1st year introductory offer) then on top of that now pay an extra $400 (asking price) for Sunday Ticket.  

Certainly the people paying $200 a month had a better chance of getting a discount for ST, but not nearly as much and also harder to get the discounts once DTV was bought out by ATT.  I don't really blame ATT for that either as I'm sure they basically came in and told DTV, you can't keep giving this away.

If DTV allowed people to purchase ST as a stand alone package, say the streaming version, likely could have sold much more ST subscriptions, but without that extra $100 to $200 am month coming in, they'd still lose money so didn't bother.  And yes I know in theory they did offer the streaming only for people who couldn't get service via a dish, but was still not that easy to get it.  I even put in the address of a nursing home and was told that address is ineligible.

That does beg the question though, how will Amazon make money on a stand alone ST like package if they still charge in the $300 price range?  $100 a year for Prime membership won't cut it at the rates DTV paid the NFL.

12 hours ago, 97bills said:

I hate paying Directv but what’s going to happen to us that don’t have good internet for streaming I have satellite and trying to watch a movie is painful sometimes any thoughts 

Will I still be able to get games on TV from my antenna ? 🙏

The only streaming i do is at the creek when i'm fishing ! 😂

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

DTV wouldn't have any problems selling the ticket.  The problem was DTV made you first subscribe to DTV for $100 to $150 to $200 a month (unless you're in the 1st year introductory offer) then on top of that now pay an extra $400 (asking price) for Sunday Ticket.  

Certainly the people paying $200 a month had a better chance of getting a discount for ST, but not nearly as much and also harder to get the discounts once DTV was bought out by ATT.  I don't really blame ATT for that either as I'm sure they basically came in and told DTV, you can't keep giving this away.

If DTV allowed people to purchase ST as a stand alone package, say the streaming version, likely could have sold much more ST subscriptions, but without that extra $100 to $200 am month coming in, they'd still lose money so didn't bother.  And yes I know in theory they did offer the streaming only for people who couldn't get service via a dish, but was still not that easy to get it.  I even put in the address of a nursing home and was told that address is ineligible.

That does beg the question though, how will Amazon make money on a stand alone ST like package if they still charge in the $300 price range?  $100 a year for Prime membership won't cut it at the rates DTV paid the NFL.

DTV is for suckers with all of the streaming options out there now.

13 hours ago, thronethinker said:

This wont happen. People are finding ways to watch games without local fees or Tickets. Ratings are down. People had no choice but to watch at home this year, yet ratings are down. Not gonna happen. 

Almost all people watch games without being at the games, and they watch on TV or with a network app on a device.  Not sure what "local fees" are.

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes it will. NFL is the king of television. No one is close. 

They're also getting a ridiculous Amazon streaming deal. NFL revenue will double in the next couple years. 

This is true.  The NFL is the one true guaranteed money maker for networks.  Nothing else has ever come close as an ongoing ad revenue stream.  Obviously the NFL is aware if this plain fact so they are pushing in their chips.

50 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Clearly it will not come with Amazon Prime.  You will likely like with DTV have to buy Amazon Prime and then some other package - maybe they will sell team packages as well as entire NFL package.  Doubt NFL will let them control a playoff game so you have to sign up to watch.  it is possible Amazon will want #17 game package depending on which matchups NFL promises to include on it.

There is a political breaking point if too many games are moved to pay TV only. The NFL has been granted many huge financial, tax, labor law and regulatory breaks that could become at risk if pay TV is taken too far, too quick. Maybe as someone said, if some kind of online gambling benefits could also be somehow included with the rights to the buyer, both the buyer and the NFL could further profit.

• Agree 2

I shudder to think what a game might look like if and when the NFL starts charging the networks DOUBLE.

They are just going to shift those expenses forward.

Maybe they can charge twice as much for ad time, but what if they actually have to increase ad time?

I'm not sure there is anywhere left for them to do that!

They now run little commercials during the game even while not at a break!  

I could some combo of Apple, Facebook, Google-YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, even Twitter, soon outbidding and wanting to replace the traditional CBS, Fox, ABC-ESPN, NBC. We now can watch many games on Yahoo - which is no tech titan. 

I think it harder to quantity tv viewership over online viewership which is data driven, unless cable tv providers and satellite tv are providing this data. 

With 5G coming online I can see how by the end of this decade a majority of NFL games will be watched over cellular networks. 

41 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I shudder to think what a game might look like if and when the NFL starts charging the networks DOUBLE.

Maybe they can charge twice as much for ad time, but what if they actually have to increase ad time?

I'm not sure there is anywhere left for them to do that!

They now run little commercials during the game even while not at a break!  

Don’t they already do that on SNF? (Play a 30-second commercial while they show the sideline or some other shot picture-in-picture)

35 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm curious (if anyone knows) is streaming included in TV ratings? I watch 95% of SNF and MNF on my phone 

Sometimes.  They have ratings and enhanced ratings which include streaming, bars, etc. 

Ratings were down for Superbowl even when they added such things, way down, and I am surprised the NFL is seeking 100% rise in contract.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sometimes.  They have ratings and enhanced ratings which include streaming, bars, etc. 

Ratings were down for Superbowl even when they added such things, way down, and I am surprised the NFL is seeking 100% rise in contract.

1st thing people have to do is look at TV ratings across all television. It's not like NFL is down and everything else is thriving. 

Also have to understand who dominates TV add revenue. It's the NFL. They will likely get whatever they want. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You know that tired, shopworn clip of some chef making chicken wings the networks flog us with?  The network will now start billing the restaurant for that. Same with the long shot of Niagara Falls that is shown every home game.  Niagara Falls city governments (both sides) better have some cash stashed. 😳🙄

And you damn well better not wear an attention getting outfit to a home game, ala Pancho or Elvis.  Here's your $2000 bill for being on the game broadcast. :doh:

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They will get close to it. The NFL by far draws in the most viewers of any shows on their networks.

ratings doesn’t matter.  It’s gotten marginalized.

it’s about the networks making a profit too.  Networks will lose money paying double what they are.

the games do not boost ratings on other programming.