NFL looking for a 100% increase in broadcasting rights fees on new TV contracts

Big Turk

Fox, CBS and NBC apparently are willing to accept closer to 100% increases than Disney(ESPN and ABC) is currently, who is fighting back against them. That be be a HUGE boost to the cap numbers in 2023 and a smaller boost in 2022 with the Disney MNF contract expiring after next year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reportedly-seeking-double-broadcast-000258351.html

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

This wont happen. People are finding ways to watch games without local fees or Tickets. Ratings are down. People had no choice but to watch at home this year, yet ratings are down. Not gonna happen. 

Yes it will. NFL is the king of television. No one is close. 

They're also getting a ridiculous Amazon streaming deal. NFL revenue will double in the next couple years. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon step in and blow up the negotiations with a ridiculous offer to get access to NFL games.  They have more money than anyone and I think they would be willing to overpay to get NFL football on their platform.   It not only would get their face into the NFL money trough, but from a long term strategic perspective, it would also help speed along the demise of the tv broadcast networks and allow Amazon Prime to grab a bigger share of the entertainment market.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon step in and blow up the negotiations with a ridiculous offer to get access to NFL games.  They have more money than anyone and I think they would be willing to overpay to get NFL football  on their platform.   From a long term strategic perspective, it would also help speed along the demise of one of Amazon's competitors, the tv broadcast networks.

Amazon will be getting the streaming package. Taking over Sunday Ticket. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

This wont happen. People are finding ways to watch games without local fees or Tickets. Ratings are down. People had no choice but to watch at home this year, yet ratings are down. Not gonna happen. 

Ratings fluctuate yearly and ad supported television shows declined as a whole since the start of the pandemic as streaming increased.  NFL ratings historically decline during a presidential election year.  The games still dominate any other crap the networks put on.  These networks are willing to pay top dollar.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Fox, CBS and NBC apparently are willing to accept closer to 100% increases than Disney(ESPN and ABC) is currently, who is fighting back against them. That be be a HUGE boost to the cap numbers in 2023 and a smaller boost in 2022 with the Disney MNF contract expiring after next year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-reportedly-seeking-double-broadcast-000258351.html

I don’t see it.  There have bern reports the networks were losing money.  They aren’t doubling the fees for certain loses.

ESPN already overplayed for its past deal expecting the quality game content that wasn’t in their Sunday night deal. Thrn the quality went doen.

38 minutes ago, Estro said:

Better get that Josh Allen extension done quickly if true.

If the cap is going to have some substantial jumps coming in the next few years what he signs for today, will be a relative bargain in a short amount of time.

They were talking about this on some radio show. Players may only sign for 1 or 2 years because the cap is going to skyrocket in 2023. 

I think Patrick Mahomes set the market for QB's though. Allen would have to take his game to another level next 2 years. It's possible. 

If this is true, I can’t see the NFL and Players Union penalizing the current players by lowering the cap this year.  More players could’ve opted out and put the entire season at risk.  I don’t know how you penalize the guys who had to basically quarantine for 5 months and get tested every day.   Every game was played and the season was successfully finished on time.  So guys playing 7 years from now can get 10% yearly increases and the current players see a 5-10% increase.  More likely scenario is lopping 1-2% off the increases in the future so the current guys don’t get screwed.  

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I don’t see it.  There have bern reports the networks were losing money.  They aren’t doubling the fees for certain loses.

ESPN already overplayed for its past deal expecting the quality game content that wasn’t in their Sunday night deal. Thrn the quality went doen.

They will get close to it. The NFL by far draws in the most viewers of any shows on their networks.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon step in and blow up the negotiations with a ridiculous offer to get access to NFL games.  They have more money than anyone and I think they would be willing to overpay to get NFL football on their platform.   It not only would get their face into the NFL money trough, but from a long term strategic perspective, it would also help speed along the demise of the tv broadcast networks and allow Amazon Prime to grab a bigger share of the entertainment market.

This is what Fox did with NFL football many years ago.

Way overplayed to be allowed into the party as a network player.

A "loss leader" they call it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Roger Goodell said:

The NFL is looking at several possible ways to expand access to our fans across as many entertainment platforms as possible.

The idea of a combination card reader and coin slot on every electronic device sold is not one of your better ones...🤨

• Haha (+1) 2

Streaming won’t take over network tv football.  Not everyone in the country does streaming.  Everyone watches in some part tv, even if only a little.  I can see the contracts going up significantly and has been reported in multiple outlets.  NFLR and TV have been speculating on this for months.  Andrew Brandt, The Business of Sports, past executive for the Packers and agent has been discussing these negotiations for awhile.  You’d have to sift through his podcasts to find the excerpts, but he is incredibly interesting and knowledgeable on these matters as well as anything else pertaining to contract negotiations of players, cap stuff, etc.

Its probably one of the reasons why some of the owners have made it public to push the cap close to last year.  They are also using the threat of a lower cap to squeeze lower contracts for guys coming up, so they are playing both sides.

Anyway, it’s all speculation by all of us, so it’s wait and watch.

10 hours ago, thronethinker said:

People cant foresee what is happening.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE assumed the salary cap would go up no matter what year after year, gee guess what happened?

Who knows, maybe some entity, Amazon, wildly over pays at the top, it wouldn't shock me.