Scout Report Jaelan Phillips Edge Miami

PrimeTime101

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i brought up Von Miller because many were using the Nebraska game as to why he wouldn’t be successful.  Going up against and being plowed by a nobody LT.  I also remember people using a photo of several prospects, Vincent Jackson and Von Miller  included, as evidence of how small he was and that being a reason why he wasn’t going to be good.  “Look how small he is”.  I still chuckle about that one.

Man, I lead that charge. My biggest amateur scouting mistake so far. I was convinced he was too small to do anything as a pass rusher in the NFL. Glad my arguments made such a lasting impression, haha. Oops.

My only saving grace was that I was right about Cam that same year, and he wasnt a bust or flame out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Man, I lead that charge. My biggest amateur scouting mistake so far. I was convinced he was too small to do anything as a pass rusher in the NFL. Glad my arguments made such a lasting impression, haha. Oops.

My only saving grace was that I was right about Cam that same year, and he wasnt a bust or flame out.

Yeah, you definitely weren’t alone. @1billsfanwas leading that charge with you iirc. 

i wanted Cam or Von and was sad that the next man up was Dareus. I was ok with him, but would’ve preferred Aj Green or Patrick Peterson because I thought they were elite prospects.  I remember watching JJ Watt thinking that he should be the pick over dareus as well, but didn’t want to fight the fight and went along with the Dareus mob.  I didn’t hate the pick, I just didn’t love it.  Picking #3, I wanted to love the pick 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, you definitely weren’t alone. @1billsfanwas leading that charge with you iirc. 

i wanted Cam or Von and was sad that the next man up was Dareus. I was ok with him, but would’ve preferred Aj Green or Patrick Peterson because I thought they were elite prospects.  I remember watching JJ Watt thinking that he should be the pick over dareus as well, but didn’t want to fight the fight and went along with the Dareus mob.  I didn’t hate the pick, I just didn’t love it.  Picking #3, I wanted to love the pick 

For our team needs at the time, and the way he performed in his first 2 seasons, Dareus was the right pick at the time. Our run D got man-handled the previous season, and Dareus stepped right in and plugged those holes. Who could have known that he'd never grow up, and even regress?

That draft will go down as one of the most talented classes ever compiled. The right move (with hindsight) would have been to take Atlanta's offer since they were trying to trade up for AJ Green, and trade down a bit. Still end up with someone like JJ Watt or Cam Jordan, AND another top talent from that class. Oh well.

edit: Funny, that may have been the only thing @1billsfan fan and I agreed on back then. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Joe Marino brought him up on his Podcast a few weeks back.  He said beyond what is already known about Phillips character, he has heard more from insiders, and from what he has heard he doesnt think Phillips fits the type of player the Bills would want in their locker room. 

Interesting. Definitely starting to see the question marks add up on him.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He did add from a size and skill standpoint he is perfect for the Bills defense.  Just depends on if the Bills think he can change in their program.   I am sure the front office has a pretty solid risk analysis system to figure things like that out.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He did add from a size and skill standpoint he is perfect for the Bills defense.  Just depends on if the Bills think he can change in their program.   I am sure the front office has a pretty solid risk analysis system to figure things like that out.

Think he will be gone anyway.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:10 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

Jaelan Phillips Edge  6'5  265lbs  #2 Edge player on many lists.

Pro's

He has a great swim move

Upper body posture is solid

Really good shedding people.

Long Limbed with good hands

Student of the game. Reads plays well. He does his homework and he has said he loves just watching film on people.

Amazing first step

Size is perfect for the NFL level with room for more growth

Never gives up on plays. He will chase players till out of reach.

He impressed against good teams

Con's

Needs to build more upper lower body strength. Not a ton but some.

Lower body technique is a struggle at times

While he did well against agile tackles, he had his struggles against heavier stronger tackle

He tends to loose the edge at times

His hitting the player is soft which is good with hitting QB's in todays NFL but will struggle against Power RB's

Temper..

He does not play mean like the typical DE

Who might take him before us?

Giants they are looking for D'Line help but I think at 11 they get Barmore

Jets Who knows what direction they go but this could be one of them. or they could trade this pick.

Highlights

Enjoy

Eddited

Con. 20 games played... its been a while

Injury.. Yes he had a major concussion but read what he says.. it scared him as much as it injured him.  He has been working at his game for a long time now with NFL level retired trainers. Injury is not an issue or he would of never been cleared. 

Again.. I did not post this to say we should get him.. I am just saying its possible and there are people in these forums that like him for the pick.

I respect everyone's opinions on scouts like this... so should you

I declare myself a neophyte to anything regarding the ¨U¨ Team, so first time ever I see him, but I see another specimen of Epanesa on him... just my 2 cents!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Remember Bryant McKinney dominating Dwight Freeney in a Canes-Syracuse game their final years? People here were opposed to drafting Freeney because of that, and Freeney ended up being 10 times the player that McKinney was in the pros.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

People seem to not recall that the most disruptive pass rusher McDermott ever coached was Greg Hardy. But maybe he learned a lesson from that ...

PS: Update on Hardy — https://catcrave.com/2020/11/01/carolina-panthers-greg-hardy-path-ufc-superstardom-continues/

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaLoko said:

I declare myself a neophyte to anything regarding the ¨U¨ Team, so first time ever I see him, but I see another specimen of Epanesa on him... just my 2 cents!

I think you see size and speed and it auto draws people to Epanesa...  He's much better then Epa. in my opinion

• Like (+1) 1