Scout Report Jaelan Phillips Edge Miami

PrimeTime101

7 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'm getting Maybin flashbacks with this guy. I don't see many pass rush moves, just speed and excellent recognition. If he really wants to play football and he gets some power in his game and learns pass rush moves as well as counter moves then he will be able to use the athleticism he has. You might get a good/great impact player by his third year. That might work for us given Hughes and Addison, but I think it would be a daunting task for him to be an every down player in the NFL next year.

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He played for UCLA as a freshman, retired from football after suffering a concussion as a sophomore, transferred to Miami and sat out a season, then played 1 year at DE?

So he's played 1 full season, and one season at DE, after playing 4 games as a freshman and 6 games as a sophomore?

Anything is possible but I'd kind of like to see a guy with more playing experience

agree.  DE takes a while, and we need instant impact.  I’d get 2 de in FA and get 1 tech DT in the draft.  unless a value DE is there later on as a project type.  But we do not have the time for a 1st round project IMo.  

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'm getting Maybin flashbacks with this guy. I don't see many pass rush moves, just speed and excellent recognition. If he really wants to play football and he gets some power in his game and learns pass rush moves as well as counter moves then he will be able to use the athleticism he has. You might get a good/great impact player by his third year. That might work for us given Hughes and Addison, but I think it would be a daunting task for him to be an every down player in the NFL next year.

The Maybin comparison is somewhat accurate. Especially if you saw his first 2 injury filled seasons. He might develop after 2-3 years but it's highly doubtful you get much in year 1.  I personally would rather see Beane spend every FA penny on the front 4. He's going to have to correct the mistakes he made on players like Addison, Murphy, Jefferson and Butler. That was not money well spent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The Maybin comparison is somewhat accurate. Especially if you saw his first 2 injury filled seasons. He might develop after 2-3 years but it's highly doubtful you get much in year 1.  I personally would rather see Beane spend every FA penny on the front 4. He's going to have to correct the mistakes he made on players like Addison, Murphy, Jefferson and Butler. That was not money well spent. 

Agree on edge, particularly. I would like to see them target a 1 tech somewhere in the mid rounds. Maybe with one of their 5th rounders? You can find decent 1 techs in that part of the draft. 

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would like to see them target a 1 tech somewhere in the mid rounds. Maybe with one of their 5th rounders? You can find decent 1 techs in that part of the draft. 

I think they have got one more year of Star left ( provided he doesnt opt out again..) so I would like them to take one as well this year to learn and be ready to start  next year all going well..

It doesnt seem like a lot of options though in the mid rounds..  Alim McNeil and Tyler Shelvin would need to be picked at the end of the third and then a couple of later day 3 options I am looking into are Bobby Brown III and Naquan Jones.. you like any of those guys? 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they have got one more year of Star left ( provided he doesnt opt out again..) so I would like them to take one as well this year to learn and be ready to start  next year all going well..

It doesnt seem like a lot of options though in the mid rounds..  Alim McNeil and Tyler Shelvin would need to be picked at the end of the third and then a couple of later day 3 options I am looking into are Bobby Brown III and Naquan Jones.. you like any of those guys? 

McNeil, Shelvin and throw Stills into that group too are all late day 2 or early day 3 for me. Think I have a 3rd on Stills and high 4ths on the other two. Us not having a 4th round pick might hurt. 

Not going to pretend I have got deep enough into the class to have a strong view on Brown and Jones wasn't even on my list of guys to get to haha so you are way ahead of me there :D

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McNeil, Shelvin and throw Stills into that group too are all late day 2 or early day 3 for me. Think I have a 3rd on Stills and high 4ths on the other two. Us not having a 4th round pick might hurt. 

Do you like Shelvin?

I like my DT's big and ugly but I'm almost worried he is too fat...

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Do you like Shelvin?

I like my DT's big and ugly but I'm almost worried he is too fat...

Haha. He is a big boy. I think he is strictly a 2 down player. You get 1 techs who can stay on the field on 3rd and mediums he can't. What I like his hands. Those who have read my stuff before will know I love a defensive lineman who knows how to use his hands and I think Shelvin is very good at it. As I say 4th rounder so I like him a bit but he has a specific role. He would be a beast in short yardage because he isn't just huge he will get his hands on a blocker early win the down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree on edge, particularly. I would like to see them target a 1 tech somewhere in the mid rounds. Maybe with one of their 5th rounders? You can find decent 1 techs in that part of the draft. 

Completely agree. That's why I'd like to see us trade out of the 30 spot. Pick up an extra 2nd and a 4th. Use that 4th pick on a 1T. Our pass rush help will come from FA.

• Like (+1) 2

I've watched the UNC game this morning after @BADOLBILZ recommended it last week as a game that displayed Phillips's weaknesses. What I saw was a team who really schemed against his aggression nicely and exposed, both with delayed hand offs and open passing lanes, some of the areas where Phillips lacked a bit of discipline. There are still some plays in the game where he gets decent push but they did a good job overall and I must say I came away quite impressed with Tucker the UNC right tackle. No idea what his projection is for the NFL. He is a senior next year. Not his best game for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only Maybin comparisons that hold any truth are the fact that both were good for one season, have plus first steps and are pass rushers.

Maybin played around 225lbs in college and couldn’t hold the edge at all.  Everyone was HOPING that he could put on 30-40 LBs in order to play the edge. Phillips is 6’5 265 already.  He can get after the QB and hold the edge.  The only thing people are hoping for regarding Phillips becoming a good pro, is his health

Maybin vs Phillips is a poor comparison

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I've watched the UNC game this morning after @BADOLBILZ recommended it last week as a game that displayed Phillips's weaknesses. What I saw was a team who really schemed against his aggression nicely and exposed, both with delayed hand offs and open passing lanes, some of the areas where Phillips lacked a bit of discipline. There are still some plays in the game where he gets decent push but they did a good job overall and I must say I came away quite impressed with Tucker the UNC right tackle. No idea what his projection is for the NFL. He is a senior next year. Not his best game for sure. 

I’m not sure if it was @BADOLBILZor not, but several tbd members said the same thing about Von Miller vs Nebraska.  He got destroyed and had a terrible game playing against a middling LT.  

I’ll say now, what I said then. One college game doesn’t make an NFL prospects career in the nfl.  It never has.  It never will. One game can be used to highlight what a player needs to work on and also what a player excels at. 

I couldn’t find the whole game, but here are some snippets. 

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not sure if it was @BADOLBILZor not, but several tbd members said the same thing about Von Miller vs Nebraska.  He got destroyed and had a terrible game playing against a middling LT.  

I’ll say now, what I said then. One college game doesn’t make an NFL prospects career in the nfl.  It never has.  It never will. One game can be used to highlight what a player needs to work on and also what a player excels at. 

Indeed. It was not Phillips's best game but it wasn't a "woah man, drop him right down your board" game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Nearly retiring due to lingering concussion issues is what should push him down the board.     The poor play in that UNC game is just a reminder that the floor is very low on that prospect.   One season of modest production and other past injuries are also checks against.   Von Miller was time-tested and healthy and not a full size defensive end.   I am all for taking chances on pass rushers but I watched every Miami game this season and was not impressed.    He's a developmental 22 year old prospect who I suspect would have a better chance of reaching his ceiling if drafted in round 3 or 4 where he has some incentive to be the best he can be within the first 3 seasons of his contract.

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. It was not Phillips's best game but it wasn't a "woah man, drop him right down your board" game. 

You can poke holes in every individual check against Phillips.

Problem is.........there are A LOT of checks against.

He has potential but concussion, other injury, 3 years of no production and one year of just modest production since HS...........I think people are trying to Montez-Sweat the guy UP the board when he hasn't exactly ran up numbers for multiple years against an SEC schedule. 

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can poke holes in every individual check against Phillips.

Problem is.........there are A LOT of checks against.

He has potential but concussion, other injury, 3 years of no production and one year of just modest production since HS...........I think people are trying to Montez-Sweat the guy UP the board when he hasn't exactly ran up numbers for multiple years against an SEC schedule. 

There are question marks. I don't think they are question marks that will not make much difference to the Bills - he will be gone before we pick I am pretty sure. 

For what it is worth I do not have a true 1st round grade on him even on just his tape having looked at him yesterday and this morning. I have him in my high second round bracket. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nearly retiring due to lingering concussion issues is what should push him down the board.     The poor play in that UNC game is just a reminder that the floor is very low on that prospect.   One season of modest production and other past injuries are also checks against.   Von Miller was time-tested and healthy and not a full size defensive end.   I am all for taking chances on pass rushers but I watched every Miami game this season and was not impressed.    He's a developmental 22 year old prospect who I suspect would have a better chance of reaching his ceiling if drafted in round 3 or 4 where he has some incentive to be the best he can be within the first 3 seasons of his contract.

I agree that the concussion will be why he’ll be pushed down the board.  I haven’t watched nearly as much of Phillips as you have, so i’ll defer to your assessment.  He certainly looks the part physically, but I have no clue how consistent he is in using it or how he mentally attacks the game and life in general. 

i brought up Von Miller because many were using the Nebraska game as to why he wouldn’t be successful.  Going up against and being plowed by a nobody LT.  I also remember people using a photo of several prospects, Vincent Jackson and Von Miller  included, as evidence of how small he was and that being a reason why he wasn’t going to be good.  “Look how small he is”.  I still chuckle about that one.