Scout Report Jaelan Phillips Edge Miami

PrimeTime101

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

No....his burst and athleticism is not better than Phillips.  Not sure why you would say that.  Basham reminds me of Shaq

He’s not as explosive as Phillips. 

It’s all good my friend. I get grief for saying it. I’m not going to change my mind 100 times between now and draft day. Boogie is my guy and I’m sticking to it. I expect him to perform big at the Combine. Will rise.

Obviously I absolutely love Owusu and Collins as well and a strong case can be made for Najee Harris also if you look at it from a certain POV. That’s about where I’m at right now. Hoping for a stud OL somewhere in the second.. Maybe Creed Humphrey, maybe Liam Eichenberg, we’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No....his burst and athleticism is not better than Phillips.  Not sure why you would say that.  Basham reminds me of Shaq

He’s not as explosive as Phillips. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/carlos-basham-jr-nfl-draft-player-profile-wake-forest-edge-rusher/

Basham’s main mode of success is his mix of IQ, power, and leverage, but against bigger blockers who match his power, he doesn’t have enough athletic freedom to get an edge. Basham was dominated by Clemson tackle Jackson Carman this season. NFL tackles are more consistent with their size and power, so Basham could have trouble at the next level. His foundation gives him a solid floor, but he may never be an impact pass rusher.

Basham is a big end. Can play 7 tech. I have him earlier than I think his talent deserves in my first two round mock coming tomorrow (plug central) because of scheme fit. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Basham is a big end. Can play 7 tech. I have him earlier than I think his talent deserves in my first two round mock coming tomorrow (plug central) because of scheme fit. 

@GunnerBill

@NewEra

It’s all good. All I ask is that you guys show me some love after Boogie rises up boards after the Combine or after the Bills draft him! 😆

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

It’s all good my friend. I get grief for saying it. I’m not going to change my mind 100 times between now and draft day. Boogie is my guy and I’m sticking to it. I expect him to perform big at the Combine. Will rise.

Obviously I absolutely love Owusu and Collins as well and a strong case can be made for Najee Harris also if you look at it from a certain POV. That’s about where I’m at right now. Hoping for a stud OL somewhere in the second.. Maybe Creed Humphrey, maybe Liam Eichenberg, we’ll see.

Agreed.  I don’t hate Basham....I just t

Don’t think he’s on the same level as Phillips athletically.  

👍🏻owusu and Collins.  Love both guys for sure.  Even Harris.  We may not like the Harris pick as much in 5 years, but if he helps us win a SB, it’ll be all worth it.

17 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

@GunnerBill

@NewEra

It’s all good. All I ask is that you guys show me some love after Boogie rises up boards after the Combine or after the Bills draft him! 😆

For sure.  I like Basham....I just don’t see the explosion that you see.....yet.  Might happen 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I don’t hate Basham....I just t

Don’t think he’s on the same level as Phillips athletically.  

👍🏻owusu and Collins.  Love both guys for sure.  Even Harris.  We may not like the Harris pick as much in 5 years, but if he helps us win a SB, it’ll be all worth it.

For sure.  I like Basham....I just don’t see the explosion that you see.....yet.  Might happen 

Just to make everyone happy, tomorrow I will do a Basham Scouting report.. or maybe tonight... There is a ton of info out of him... I will do my best to put it all together... I dont mind Basham... Just not at 30

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Saw every snap of him at UCLA. He is quick off the ball but he just fails to eventually get to the qb. Not impressive at UCLA. I'd much rather have Basham in the 2nd to develop with AJE....just me. I still think we should spend the money on a 25 yr old Ngakoue. 

2 key things... 

Second round

and Develop. We need an Edge that needs to make impact day one. I am not even saying this is the guy I did in this thread is it... I just know this team does not have the time to develop anyone.

Also

You cant compare what he did in UCLA compared to what he did in Miami. 2 different beasts. 

Again... This was just a scout report and I am just reporting on the player we are talking in front of me... I don't love or hate the guy

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

2 key things... 

Second round

and Develop. We need an Edge that needs to make impact day one. I am not even saying this is the guy I did in this thread is it... I just know this team does not have the time to develop anyone.

Also

You cant compare what he did in UCLA compared to what he did in Miami. 2 different beasts. 

Again... This was just a scout report and I am just reporting on the player we are talking in front of me... I don't love or hate the guy

Just one little problem. We're not drafting in the top 20 and there won't be any plug n play edge rushers that will make an impact Immediately at 30. That's just realism, not a projection. Jerry has maybe 1 year left in the tank. Murphy and Addison will be gone. So realistically we'll need to do exactly what we did with Diggs. Go out in FA and get an already established young value DE. I feel that guy would be Ngakoue. I like Basham's motor over Phillips. But both players would require the same time to develop as Epenesa. The few pass rushers that wouldn't require development will already be off the board. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just one little problem. We're not drafting in the top 20 and there won't be any plug n play edge rushers that will make an impact Immediately at 30. That's just realism, not a projection. Jerry has maybe 1 year left in the tank. Murphy and Addison will be gone. So realistically we'll need to do exactly what we did with Diggs. Go out in FA and get an already established young value DE. I feel that guy would be Ngakoue. I like Basham's motor over Phillips. But both players would require the same time to develop as Epenesa. The few pass rushers that wouldn't require development will already be off the board. 

As I have said... how many times I got to repeat this in this thread.... I am not saying we should or should not... He is more ready then someone labeled a project... lets move on from this yes?

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All of these pass rushers will require time imo.  Paye is probably the most impressive to me, but he’s has a lot of work to do too.

I’ll take Patrick Jones over all of them long term.  Love that guy.  But I don’t think he’s an instant impact player either 

54 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just to make everyone happy, tomorrow I will do a Basham Scouting report.. or maybe tonight... There is a ton of info out of him... I will do my best to put it all together... I dont mind Basham... Just not at 30

Just wondering why you didn’t mention Phillips injuries and “retirement” in your phillips scouting report.  

it’s really his biggest “con” imo.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

As I have said... how many times I got to repeat this in this thread.... I am not saying we should or should not... He is more ready then someone labeled a project... lets move on from this yes?

Gee isn't the point of a scouting report to have discussion on whether we "should or shouldn't" consider him. Sorry Prime, I guess I missed you sitting next to me at the Rose Bowl watching Jaelan struggle.

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

All of these pass rushers will require time imo.  Paye is probably the most impressive to me, but he’s has a lot of work to do too.

I’ll take Patrick Jones over all of them long term.  Love that guy.  But I don’t think he’s an instant impact player either 

Just wondering why you didn’t mention Phillips injuries and “retirement” in your phillips scouting report.  

it’s really his biggest “con” imo.

good question NewEra

1. He is cleared by a Dr. 

2. One of them was kind of freak accident.

3. You cant predict if a player will be injury prone based on college level. Some are drafted Injured a lot and rarely get injured again. The only way an Injury goes on a report is if the injury recovery is on going. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Gee isn't the point of a scouting report to have discussion on whether we "should or shouldn't" consider him. Sorry Prime, I guess I missed you sitting next to me at the Rose Bowl watching Jaelan struggle.

It is but people acting like I absolutely want this player. Many others do... I did this scouting report to be discussed weather it should be an option or not.. Not weather Absolutely he should be or shouldn't be picked

29 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

good question NewEra

1. He is cleared by a Dr. 

2. One of them was kind of freak accident.

3. You cant predict if a player will be injury prone based on college level. Some are drafted Injured a lot and rarely get injured again. The only way an Injury goes on a report is if the injury recovery is on going. 

It is but people acting like I absolutely want this player. Many others do... I did this scouting report to be discussed weather it should be an option or not.. Not weather Absolutely he should be or shouldn't be picked

I hear ya....on my scouting report of Phillips, injuries were #1 on the list and was didn’t understand why you wasn’t included.  

ankles and wrist injuries are random.  I agree. The concussion scares me though.  Then again, I remember thinking Edmunds’ career might be over after he got plowed by devito

Prime no one is accusing you of "absolutely" wanting this player or not. You did this thread to be discussed and that's exactly what I'm doing. I've had a little more of an advantage over most Bills fans to have seen Phillips play at UCLA. And in my very humble "opinion" I think there are better options. 

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya....on my scouting report of Phillips, injuries were #1 on the list and was didn’t understand why you wasn’t included.  

ankles and wrist injuries are random.  I agree. The concussion scares me though.  Then again, I remember thinking Edmunds’ career might be over after he got plowed by devito

yep but it didn't..  50% never get drafted if GM's and Coaches got over worked up on injuries.  Concussion scared him hard.. he grew from it.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

To the bolded that is if you believe they are on the board to start with. I'm not sure I believe there are any slam dunk year 1 difference makers at Edge in this class. There is a nice crop of interesting guys but as of now (halfway through) don't have a true 1st on any of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The more I think about it, addressing the D (pass rush) through FA is the best quickest for immediate impact. Beane's focus, as I see it, will be improving the front 7.

Deciding who stays/goes and working the cap is the challenge. I expect changes along this front 7. 

Draft wise - IOL and impactful skill position selections should be his focus. Supply Josh with the tools/protection to help him and the offense continue to evolve.

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Prime no one is accusing you of "absolutely" wanting this player or not. You did this thread to be discussed and that's exactly what I'm doing. I've had a little more of an advantage over most Bills fans to have seen Phillips play at UCLA. And in my very humble "opinion" I think there are better options. 

UCLA? Is that still a place? Fight On! 😉

22 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The injuries don’t scare you on a guy that retired from college due to concussions?  Huge Con and major Red Flag.

The guy has played in 20 games over the last 5 years and most of them at a different position.  Huge con and Red Flag.

One year wonder at DE and has injury concerns - looks to be about Epensa level with maybe a bit more speed, but his hands aren’t as good and he has done it for significantly less time than AJ. 

I feel about him like AJ - if he falls to us after trading into the 2nd - then fine, but I am not sure with his age and his health concerns he is worthy of a 1st round pick with a potential 5th year option.  Just don’t see him lasting in the NFL.

I'm getting Maybin flashbacks with this guy. I don't see many pass rush moves, just speed and excellent recognition. If he really wants to play football and he gets some power in his game and learns pass rush moves as well as counter moves then he will be able to use the athleticism he has. You might get a good/great impact player by his third year. That might work for us given Hughes and Addison, but I think it would be a daunting task for him to be an every down player in the NFL next year.