Washington Post: For Year 1 in Washington, Rivera Leaned on McDermott and Beane's Experience

Thurman#1

Cool story. A lot of "process-like" stuff and "sustainable winning culture" so if you don't like that jargon, you'd better steer clear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/18/ron-rivera-washington-football-rebuild/

I searched "Rivera" and only found the "cancer-free" thread. If this has already been posted, feel free to cancel it.

Side note: I really thought we might pick Terry McLaurin a draft or two ago. He comes off well here.

Some excerpts:

"As it is for Buffalo, Washington’s notion of the “right fit” among players includes a heavy lean on character, combined with the right skills for the right role. It requires asking questions to gain a clear picture of a player’s competitive drive, leadership, work ethic and so on. During interviews with draft prospects, Rivera will use game film not only to test a player’s knowledge of the game but also his accountability. If the tape shows the player was at fault on a play, did he deflect blame when explaining what happened? Or did he own it?"

... and ...

"Washington’s roster last season was formed with many of the same ideals that Buffalo had. This meant prioritizing building through the draft while finding some less-heralded free agents, such as tight end Logan Thomas and running back J.D. McKissic, to fill key roles. They spent bigger to add a defensive leader in cornerback Kendall Fuller and moved on from veterans such as Trent Williams and Adrian Peterson who they believed didn’t fit or were impeding the growth of young talent."

How long has it been since people wanted to ask for advice from our FO?

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

As beane and McDermott learned under Rivera originally, I’d imagine the tutelage may have run the other way a bit more than this thread will portray. 

Well article seems to state something else.

Throughout the season, Rivera peppered Buffalo General Manager Brandon Beane and Coach Sean McDermott with questions about their approach to rebuilding. The three men had succeeded together before. 

“I asked Brandon and Sean, ‘When you guys came in, what was the idea?’ ” Rivera said. “It all starts with coming in and saying, 'Hey, this is what we want to accomplish, this is what we want to do, this is what we want to be,’ and then finding out who shares that same vision.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I read the article. I have no doubt they chatted. I don’t think anything referenced was particularly ground breaking for Rivera’s professional development though. Do you?

sure, the mentor picks some stuff up too when bouncing around ideas and chatting with the young guns - no doubt. But broad strokes, “the process” isn’t that novel.

not meant insulting in any way. Just don’t think the bills effected the WFT development tooooo much. 

Edited by NoSaint

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think McDermott and Beane learned plenty from Ron Rivera. But Ron Rivera is a decent, humble, guy and he recognised that two of his protégés now had knowledge that could help him and he reached out to them. That is a good leader and a good teacher. One who acknowledges that sometimes you have to learn from those you have taught. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Washington has a VERY underrated roster

Years of top 10 or so picks should do that for you. Haskins aside they have drafted pretty well recently in the early rounds. I mean their D line is four first rounders from 4 consecutive drafts in Allen, Payne, Sweat and Young. Their two best players on offense Gibson and McLaurin were early picks too (one 2nd round and one 3rd). A bit of an upgrade on the oline, another receiver and figure out who your Quarterback is and they could contend in what is the weaker conference.

That was the frustration of the 00s Bills. We picked in and around the top 10 every year and still sucked. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

As beane and McDermott learned under Rivera originally, I’d imagine the tutelage may have run the other way a bit more than this thread will portray. 

At one time, perhaps.

EDIT: Ah, Gunner said it better than I could.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

No doubt but Rivera didn’t have to deal with as much of an organizational culture change in Carolina as he needed to in Washington. John Fox established that before him. So that was something relatively new for him. 

Another takeaway was how many people with Carolina ties he has with him in Washington. Sounds a bit familiar...

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McDermott and Beane learned plenty from Ron Rivera. But Ron Rivera is a decent, humble, guy and he recognised that two of his protégés now had knowledge that could help him and he reached out to them. That is a good leader and a good teacher. One who acknowledges that sometimes you have to learn from those you have taught. 

This ^^^

When a teacher, over time, can’t learn from a former student,  that teacher has lost their way. 

I give RR big credit for going a long way toward righting the SS that Snyder created, I didn’t think it would happen as quickly as it has, I am still a little dubious with Snyder at the helm, he is the sort who would ruin a good thing to satisfy his ego. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Years of top 10 or so picks should do that for you. Haskins aside they have drafted pretty well recently in the early rounds. I mean their D line is four first rounders from 4 consecutive drafts in Allen, Payne, Sweat and Young. Their two best players on offense Gibson and McLaurin were early picks too (one 2nd round and one 3rd). A bit of an upgrade on the oline, another receiver and figure out who your Quarterback is and they could contend in what is the weaker conference.

That was the frustration of the 00s Bills. We picked in and around the top 10 every year and still sucked. 

The Haskins pick was a surprise to the coaching staff. Their former HC, Jay Gruden, had no interest in Haskins, especially as a first round pick. He considered him a project and a third round value. It was the owner and a faction of the front office that included Allen that made that ill-fated selection. Gruden on a recent podcast stated that he was surprised and upset with the Haskins selection. The manner in which that pick was made without the input of a part of the personnel department demonstrated the chaotic and tumultuous state the organization was in. When you have a mercurial and incompetent owner it's not surprising that you have a failed organization. 

Before Rivera agreed to take the job he required the owner to give him the authority to not only make the football decisions but be the person responsible to staff the front office. Because the owner was besieged with tawdry sexual claims against him and the organization the owner was willing to cede authority to someone else in order to take the attention off of him. 

The Washington Football Team's house is in order. That is the starting point. Where there was no hope there now is optimism. It starts with the top. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Exactly why we need to rescue McCaffrey!!

Hey! Maybe you should start one of those hypothetical trade threads where we get him for a 7th rounder and a bag of used balls. He’d be so happy to escape he’d insist on renegotiating his contract downward. THOSE threads are ALWAYS so enjoyable! 

:)

• Haha (+1) 1