Man I hope this is not true... article alleges PS&E denying use of facility to hold memorial service for fallen Service members

It’s Lonsberry, there is always something left out, like the truth for instance... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

. It's a hit piece through and through and should be ignored. Even if it is true 

Even if it's true it should be ignored?

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Lots of unnamed sources and not a single, concrete piece of information in the article. Even their "quotes" from the Pegulas seem made up.

"not a single, concrete piece of information in the article"?  Not one?

Here's a few: 

3 National Guardsmen died in a helicopter crash.

The Governor wanted to honor them in an indoor facility--going so far as to designate it a religious event.

The County Executive Bello sought to have the War Memorial as the venue. 

PSE refused to hold the event, even though COVID restrictions would not apply as they would for sporting events, and the state would provide some staffing too defray costs. 

Reported elsewhere the same day as the above article:

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/community/service-to-honor-fallen-national-guard-members-will-be-held-at-rochester-airport/

Here's a quote from one of the widows:

The have been some changes to the memorial service, which was originally scheduled for February 26 at the Blue Cross Area. The wife of Christian Koch confirmed on Friday that there seemed to be a problem with the venue.

“I just found out earlier today, not even an hour ago, that the location is having to be moved,” Koch’s wife Teressa DaGama said. “In that case the event won’t be at the same magnitude as it would have been. I know they have ben planning it for the past four weeks, it’s just been over four weeks since the accident . I was just told there was a last minute road block with some money.

And from local legislators:

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Everyone must band together in support of a proper ceremony for the three National Guardsmen who tragically passed last month. Both the County Health Department and State have indicated that a memorial can be held safely at Blue Cross Arena. These individuals sacrificed so much to ensure the protection of all, both at home and abroad; they deserve to have their memory honored. Monroe County must do everything in our power to ensure that a proper memorial is held for our community to pay respect to these three Guardsmen.“

All involved have moved on to the National Guard hanger at KROC.

The Pegulas have been free to chime in at any time....

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

• BuffaloBorn1960 changed the title to Man I hope this is not true... article alleges PS&E denying use of facility to hold memorial service for fallen Service members
33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"not a single, concrete piece of information in the article"?  Not one?

Here's a few: 

3 National Guardsmen died in a helicopter crash.

The Governor wanted to honor them in an indoor facility--going so far as to designate it a religious event.

The County Executive Bello sought to have the War Memorial as the venue. 

PSE refused to hold the event, even though COVID restrictions would not apply as they would for sporting events, and the state would provide some staffing too defray costs. 

Reported elsewhere the same day as the above article:

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/community/service-to-honor-fallen-national-guard-members-will-be-held-at-rochester-airport/

Here's a quote from one of the widows:

The have been some changes to the memorial service, which was originally scheduled for February 26 at the Blue Cross Area. The wife of Christian Koch confirmed on Friday that there seemed to be a problem with the venue.

“I just found out earlier today, not even an hour ago, that the location is having to be moved,” Koch’s wife Teressa DaGama said. “In that case the event won’t be at the same magnitude as it would have been. I know they have ben planning it for the past four weeks, it’s just been over four weeks since the accident . I was just told there was a last minute road block with some money.

And from local legislators:

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Everyone must band together in support of a proper ceremony for the three National Guardsmen who tragically passed last month. Both the County Health Department and State have indicated that a memorial can be held safely at Blue Cross Arena. These individuals sacrificed so much to ensure the protection of all, both at home and abroad; they deserve to have their memory honored. Monroe County must do everything in our power to ensure that a proper memorial is held for our community to pay respect to these three Guardsmen.“

All involved have moved on to the National Guard hanger at KROC.

The Pegulas have been free to chime in at any time....

It sounded to me like Blue Cross Arena and National Guard were working together on this, although due to timing National Guard ultimately decided to hold the ceremony elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think there's a valid POV that when someone has the rep (or uses the style) of hit-piece journalism, their work deserves to be ignored.

If something is true, typically more reputable journalists who investigate and try to report facts in a more neutral fashion will pick it up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

It sounded to me like Blue Cross Arena and National Guard were working together on this, although due to timing National Guard ultimately decided to hold the ceremony elsewhere.

That was the "Officials from Blue Cross Arena" response.  The NYS legislators clearly imply the BCA/PSE would not allow it, even with safety concerns waived by the County and Governor.

The widow of one of the fallen flat out says she was told by the organizers it was (at the "last minute") about money.

NG officials had no other choice but to move on.  They were classy about it.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there's a valid POV that when someone has the rep (or uses the style) of hit-piece journalism, their work deserves to be ignored.

If something is true, typically more reputable journalists who investigate and try to report facts in a more neutral fashion will pick it up.

Sure Lonsberry is a partisan hack....but to have simply made up all of those quotes?  I don't believe that.

The WROC article I sited has most of the same facts of the issue and attributed quotes.  It was in the end about money.  That's on PSE--even without Lonsberry's gossipy/dramatic anonymous quoting.

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The WROC article I sited has most of the same facts of the issue and attributed quotes.  It was in the end about money.  That's on PSE--even without Lonsberry's gossipy/dramatic anonymous quoting.

If you mean this article, https://www.rochesterfirst.com/coronavirus/side-effects-and-what-to-expect-after-2nd-dose-of-covid-vaccine/

I agree, this is a serious article.

the attribution to money is from the wife of a fallen aviator, not from any of the principals involved:

“I just found out earlier today, not even an hour ago, that the location is having to be moved,” Koch’s wife Teressa DaGama said. “In that case the event won’t be at the same magnitude as it would have been. I know they have ben planning it for the past four weeks, it’s just been over four weeks since the accident .  I was just told there was a last minute road block with some money."

I would have to know more about that from someone first-hand involved in the negotiations, not from a second or third hand source, to say that it's "on" PSE. 

But You do You.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you mean this article, https://www.rochesterfirst.com/coronavirus/side-effects-and-what-to-expect-after-2nd-dose-of-covid-vaccine/

I agree, this is a serious article.

the attribution to money is from the wife of a fallen aviator, not from any of the principals involved:

I would have to know more about that from someone first-hand involved in the negotiations, not from a second or third hand source, to say that it's "on" PSE. 

But You do You.

(Not sure what that COVID article has to do with this)

So you think she made that up?  Or someone not involved with the negotiations told her to say that?  Or someone who was involved with the negotiations misled her into claiming that? Yeah, none of that is credible.

The legislators also indicated concessions were made but still it was not allowed to happen at BCA.   It's pretty easy to conclude that the "roadblock" was PSE, not the County, not the State, not the Guard and not the survivors.

PSE was involved in the negotiations--first hand and everything.  

• Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

How like Rush Limbaugh? Too racist for NFL or injects politics into NFL?  Not ever recalling reading any of articles on Bills.

Right wing talk radio host whose racism and hate are legendary.

Sports aren't part of his normal schtick unless it fits his agenda.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you think she made that up?  Or someone not involved with the negotiations told her to say that?  Or someone who was involved with the negotiations misled her into claiming that? Yeah, none of that is credible.

What part of this wasn't clear to you?

None of the above need be true.  That could be what she was told, it could have been from someone who was told it from someone who didn't have the full picture.  That's exactly how misinformation or incomplete information travels, and it's exactly why credible news sources require sources with first-hand knowledge.

And I know that you know this, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's a saying when it comes to scientific studies.. "Never trust a single scientific study.. trust a bunch of them." Even if the scientists do everything right, there's too many factors (known and unknown) for any single study to cover them all. You can generally apply the same thing to journalism. 

However, in this case, you don't even need that. It's a hit piece through and through and should be ignored. Even if it is true, there's so much information left out and it pretty much just says "PEGULA BAD" over and over again instead of giving out actual information.

As a person whose Mom was in Medical Research and who was represented in multiple published articles for her work allowing for targeted breast cancer drugs that really drastically improved outcomes in the late 80s and early 90s, I wholeheartedly agree with this growing up in a scientific household and spending many days in the labs with her and getting to know her colleagues.

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What part of this wasn't clear to you?

None of the above need be true.  That could be what she was told, it could have been from someone who was told it from someone who didn't have the full picture.  That's exactly how misinformation or incomplete information travels, and it's exactly why credible news sources require sources with first-hand knowledge.

And I know that you know this, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

If this hasn't been made clear to you yet...