Man I hope this is not true... article alleges PS&E denying use of facility to hold memorial service for fallen Service members

Bills stadium holds 70,000 and they let in 6,700 in an outside venue.

War Memorial holds 17,000 and is an indoor venue. X 10% = 1,627 people. Due to being indoors x 50% = 813.

There are plenty of churches in Rochester that can hold 813 people. If they want to spread covid have at it.

What is missed in all this are the fallen soldiers and the reason their Blackhawk went down. Why can’t Lockheed Martin the manufacturer of the BlackHawk which made $60 billion mostly on military contracts in 2020, make an adequate helicopter to ensure the guard can conduct night vision training exercises? 

• Eyeroll 2

I have 0 Links and this is just what I have been personally told. They kept playing with the dates... Money was never the real issue.. the issue was date changes and then a date slot filled and they wanted that slot..  I have been told there is way more to it then even this but one thing is obvious..

This writer did not have the whole story nor likely will the whole story come out because of privacy issues. 

IT is what it is..

Take my words for what its worth.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a combat veteran, I love to see vets get honored.  If this story is true, the behavior of PS&E is just horrible.  

But, as they say, every story has two sides.  When I fought in the first Gulf War, the Iraqis claimed the Kuwaitis were slant drilling into their oil reserves.  I don't know if that's accurate or not, but I do know that Iraqi soldiers we took prisoner considered themselves anything from pawns to patriots.  They certainly didn't see themselves as villains.  

And that's the problem with this article: the PS&E folks are presented as purely villainous.  Lonsberry depicts them as greedy, contemptuous, disrespectful, intransigent, and dismissive.  He never explains what their rationale might be.  Apparently, according to Lonsberry's description, they're purely evil.  

To me, this doesn't make any sense.  I don't believe the PS&E officials are evil villains.  There's got to be another side to the story.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloBorn1960 said:

I wonder is his axe to grind has something to do with the Bills staying in the locker room while the anthem is played? People can be petty like that and will then try to portray the owners of said organization as something they're not. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What part of this wasn't clear to you?

None of the above need be true.  That could be what she was told, it could have been from someone who was told it from someone who didn't have the full picture.  That's exactly how misinformation or incomplete information travels, and it's exactly why credible news sources require sources with first-hand knowledge.

And I know that you know this, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Well, sure, I guess one of the widows who has been anticipating a memorial for her husband and 3 others at the BCA could have been told that the plans were not going to happen after all, and over money by........just about anyone, right?  Why would we think it would most likely be by the National Guard officials (first hand) who were trying to put it together?  Crazy right?

Accomplish?  I'm just pointing out the obvious:  because one might not like Lonsberry (in this instance) doesn't mean he is fabricating the facts of this case (which have not been disputed by anyone on record--posters don't count).   

Why suggest that the wife, who is a beneficiary of this tribute, is so far removed from primary fact that we can easily question her public statement of the topic?  You think she did not hear what she said directly from the Guard?  My first question to the people who told me they were putting together a memorial at the BCA for my dead soldier spouse and others, with the special involvement of the Governor, the County, the Health Department that weeks in to discussions suddenly fell apart would be:  What happened?   And I wouldn't be asking "some guy who heard something from someone".  

I guess we will have to wait for the PSE to provide their side of the story to correct what is a "bad look", right?  If it wasn't about COVID/health issues and it wasn't about staffing and it wasn't about money in any way.....maybe they will tell us what the reason they won't host this event is.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, sure, I guess one of the widows who has been anticipating a memorial for her husband and 3 others at the BCA could have been told that the plans were not going to happen after all, and over money by........just about anyone, right?  Why would we think it would most likely be by the National Guard officials (first hand) who were trying to put it together?  Crazy right?

This is highly disingenuous and you must know it.

There's a difference between being told something by "one of the National Guard officials" and a primary source.

I'm pretty sure you know this.  I gave you the opportunity to engage fairly and you're doling more of the same.

IMHO you are just pushing an agenda here and there's no further need to interact with you.  G'day.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Accomplish?  I'm just pointing out the obvious:  because one might not like Lonsberry (in this instance) doesn't mean he is fabricating the facts of this case (which have not been disputed by anyone on record--posters don't count).   

Why suggest that the wife, who is a beneficiary of this tribute, is so far removed from primary fact that we can easily question her public statement of the topic?  You think she did not hear what she said directly from the Guard?  My first question to the people who told me they were putting together a memorial at the BCA for my dead soldier spouse and others, with the special involvement of the Governor, the County, the Health Department that weeks in to discussions suddenly fell apart would be:  What happened?   And I wouldn't be asking "some guy who heard something from someone".  

I guess we will have to wait for the PSE to provide their side of the story to correct what is a "bad look", right?  If it wasn't about COVID/health issues and it wasn't about staffing and it wasn't about money in any way.....maybe they will tell us what the reason they won't host this event is.

PSE should not nor have to "prove their side"  this is to much he said, she said, they said that my brother in law said my cousins best said BS going on here. For PSE to make a statement on something that could further cause harm because of disagreements. Thats how BS law suits start... no... and again... there is more personal stuff involved on this topic we will never know about.

I say just let it go.

SMG formally managed Blue Cross Arena and did a great job bringing in many diverse touring shows and catered to the community.  When their contract expired it is now run by Pegula Sports...while there's always two sides to every story it is run much differently and have turned down many annual tours. When a team runs an arena, there's not much consideration for anything else.

Edited by BillsDiehard

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even if it's true it should be ignored?

"not a single, concrete piece of information in the article"?  Not one?

Here's a few: 

3 National Guardsmen died in a helicopter crash.

The Governor wanted to honor them in an indoor facility--going so far as to designate it a religious event.

The County Executive Bello sought to have the War Memorial as the venue. 

PSE refused to hold the event, even though COVID restrictions would not apply as they would for sporting events, and the state would provide some staffing too defray costs. 

Reported elsewhere the same day as the above article:

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/community/service-to-honor-fallen-national-guard-members-will-be-held-at-rochester-airport/

Here's a quote from one of the widows:

The have been some changes to the memorial service, which was originally scheduled for February 26 at the Blue Cross Area. The wife of Christian Koch confirmed on Friday that there seemed to be a problem with the venue.

“I just found out earlier today, not even an hour ago, that the location is having to be moved,” Koch’s wife Teressa DaGama said. “In that case the event won’t be at the same magnitude as it would have been. I know they have ben planning it for the past four weeks, it’s just been over four weeks since the accident . I was just told there was a last minute road block with some money.

And from local legislators:

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Everyone must band together in support of a proper ceremony for the three National Guardsmen who tragically passed last month. Both the County Health Department and State have indicated that a memorial can be held safely at Blue Cross Arena. These individuals sacrificed so much to ensure the protection of all, both at home and abroad; they deserve to have their memory honored. Monroe County must do everything in our power to ensure that a proper memorial is held for our community to pay respect to these three Guardsmen.“

All involved have moved on to the National Guard hanger at KROC.

The Pegulas have been free to chime in at any time....

You're the only one impressed with your act. In fact, why don't you solve this problem. People on this board would donate a lot of money to not have you waste valuable internet space and could cover the costs of the service. 

16 minutes ago, boater said:

WHAM 1180 just put themselves crosswise with the most powerful family in WNY.

Pegulas have a long memory and act on it. Ask the Buffalo News.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. 

And I don't even think they live in Western New York all the time

And holding grudges is honestly a weak thing to do

Edited by Buffalo716

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is highly disingenuous and you must know it.

There's a difference between being told something by "one of the National Guard officials" and a primary source.

I'm pretty sure you know this.  I gave you the opportunity to engage fairly and you're doling more of the same.

IMHO you are just pushing an agenda here and there's no further need to interact with you.  G'day.

A “National Guard official” would be one arranging, on behalf of the survivors (of which the woman quoted is one), a memorial.  It is simple to assume that that official (or others in the Guard directly involved in this endeavor) would be the one(s) telling the survivors the reason why, after all this planning, their would not be a BCA event.

Im just pointing that out, while you are redefining “disingenuous”.

59 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

PSE should not nor have to "prove their side"  this is to much he said, she said, they said that my brother in law said my cousins best said BS going on here. For PSE to make a statement on something that could further cause harm because of disagreements. Thats how BS law suits start... no... and again... there is more personal stuff involved on this topic we will never know about.

I say just let it go.

Simply clearing this bit of bad publicity up with their side of the story could lead to “harm” and “BS lawsuits”?

you lost me

37 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You're the only one impressed with your act. In fact, why don't you solve this problem. People on this board would donate a lot of money to not have you waste valuable internet space and could cover the costs of the service. 

I haven’t been approached to sponsor such an event in my empty arena with most of the costs covered by the local police and national guard... but I would happily contribute to any such memorial in any other way.

Cheer up,  these brave soldiers will have their day of remembrance after all—-not in some run down bandbox, but in the very building from where they departed on that fateful flight that day.  

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

As a combat veteran, I love to see vets get honored.  If this story is true, the behavior of PS&E is just horrible.  

But, as they say, every story has two sides.  When I fought in the first Gulf War, the Iraqis claimed the Kuwaitis were slant drilling into their oil reserves.  I don't know if that's accurate or not, but I do know that Iraqi soldiers we took prisoner considered themselves anything from pawns to patriots.  They certainly didn't see themselves as villains.  

And that's the problem with this article: the PS&E folks are presented as purely villainous.  Lonsberry depicts them as greedy, contemptuous, disrespectful, intransigent, and dismissive.  He never explains what their rationale might be.  Apparently, according to Lonsberry's description, they're purely evil.  

To me, this doesn't make any sense.  I don't believe the PS&E officials are evil villains.  There's got to be another side to the story.  

Even the most hardened, cold blooded killers never see themselves as villains...they almost always see themselves as victims of circumstance.  It is a hard thing for the human psyche to believe they are a bad person.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Bottom line:

Did they or did they not refuse the memorial of these falling soldiers? Yes or No. 

If true, it’s a bad look and bad juju. Karma will catch up sooner than later. 

No, bottom line is some believer in fake news and conspiracies likely is spreading fake news and trying to embellish things to create controversy. Unnamed sources, and a story so unbelievable, that it likely indeed is pure fantasy and fiction...Let me guess: likely hates the Bills as they (owners) are not on record as being past and/or present supporters of you know who, unlike the other 3 owners in the afc east, and when the Bills owners were more on neutral ground or players side for certain issues. Karma catches up to certain persons, so that point I agree on. Love watching those other dominoes fall.