YoloinOhio

Backup QB Matt Barkley  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or “wave good-bye”

• Do whatever it takes to re-sign
    • Offer a team-friendly deal but let him walk if he has better offers
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a discussion board.  No, it's not any of our jobs to find a replacement for any player, but we talk about it here.  When you say .....

....if it's so not difficult (even giving our tight cap), don't you think it's reasonable to expect you've given it some thought and have some ideas to discuss with us?

Nope. Did that already and you tried to make a mockery of me. Good day sir.

Edited by ALLEN1QB

13 hours ago, Tcali said:

wow---its stunning how shallow the QB position is. These guys are generally awful.Thats the problem with the NFL and has been the problem for decades.The QBing is awful.  There should be a QB school that shows nothing but vids of Brady. The not very athletic(athletic enough)but the smartest,calmest,most focused,BEST QB since Montana. Maybe 7 of the above players would be acceptable for a regular season game or two inorder t o preserve the W-L record. Maybe Fitz, Dak or Jameis could win a playoff game for you...No QB no winning in the league. The best Qbs in the league exc for Mahomes and maybe JA are all middle aged men.Thats stunning.

Well......bit of an exaggeration I think.  Watson can make a case to be one of the best QB in the league, he's 25.  Herbert looked good, so did Burrow.  So there are at least 5 pretty durn good young QBs in the league right now.  Mayfield would say "6", LOL

But to your point, there are these little hints that just maybe, NFL talent evaluators are looking in the wrong place. 

For example, take the Strange Case of Taylor Heinicke.  Here's a guy who bounced around the league for 3 years, 3 different teams.  His 4th season, 2018, he starts 1 game for Carolina in 2018.  Throws for a decent # of yards and completion %, but throws 3 picks.  That's it.  Doesn't make the team the following season, plans on XFL, XFL suspend operations. 

He shrugs, goes off to Old Dominion to finish his engineering degree.  There he sits when the phone rings, and WFT wants to sign him.  He winds up starting a playoff game for them, puts a bit of a scare into the eventual Superbowl champion Tampa Bay Bucs, and winds up with a 2 yr, $4.75M contract with $1M at signing and another $0.5M guaranteed.

Kind of makes you wonder how many Taylor Heinickes are out there.

Honestly. I love what Barkley did to help Allen, to me that is immeasurable. Would he give us a better chance to win over Tyrod, Fitzpatrick or Trubisky? Absolutely not. My ideal backup would be Trubisky. I think Daboll and Dorsey could fix this kid and maybe we’d be looking at compensation in a few years. Put him on a winning team, with winning coaches, lots of help, I think he could become a starting quality QB here eventually. Trade for picks in a few years. 

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Honestly. I love what Barkley did to help Allen, to me that is immeasurable. Would he give us a better chance to win over Tyrod, Fitzpatrick or Trubisky? Absolutely not. My ideal backup would be Trubisky. I think Daboll and Dorsey could fix this kid and maybe we’d be looking at compensation in a few years. Put him on a winning team, with winning coaches, lots of help, I think he could become a starting quality QB here eventually. Trade for picks in a few years. 

For league minimum, or even what Barkley got?  Doubtful.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

For league minimum, or even what Barkley got?  Doubtful.

For the right price anyway. Barkley is league minimum for a reason.. Trubisky was the second overall pick at one point. Good arm, decent mobility, good size.. His issues are all mental.

I think Daboll and Dorsey would provide good structure for him and I think he could win us games if Allen goes down, Barkley can’t do that.. Also think in a year or two Trubisky could get us a couple draft picks.. 2yr $10M/deal? Sure, why not?

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

For the right price anyway. Barkley is league minimum for a reason.. Trubisky was the second overall pick at one point. Good arm, decent mobility, good size.. His issues are all mental.

I think Daboll and Dorsey would provide good structure for him and I think he could win us games if Allen goes down, Barkley can’t do that.. Also think in a year or two Trubisky could get us a couple draft picks.. 2yr $10M/deal? Sure, why not?

First of all, mental problems aren't easily fixed, if at all.  Second of all, he'd likely sign somewhere he has a chance to start.  Third, I doubt he'd sign even for $5M a year and the Bills can't afford it anyway.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

First of all, mental problems aren't easily fixed, if at all.  Second of all, he'd likely sign somewhere he has a chance to start.  Third, I doubt he'd sign even for $5M a year and the Bills can't afford it anyway.

I expect a big salary dump. Could easily see us dumping $15M-$20M in contracts.