Re-sign or “wave goodbye” series: Player 7 - Matt Barkley

YoloinOhio

Backup QB Matt Barkley  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or “wave good-bye”

• Do whatever it takes to re-sign
    • Offer a team-friendly deal but let him walk if he has better offers
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

I would love Tyrod, Fitzy, or Dalton, but all cost more than $2 mil.  Allen doesn’t need a mentor other than his QB coach and Palmer.  I can see it being Webb and Fromm, and by September, they may not need a Covid quarantined backup.  It’s too early to tell, and as always just speaking to the football thing, not societal issues.

If for some reason the cap continues to rise with new tv contracts, then if Fitzy wants to wrap it up for $4-5 mil. as he’s 38, and would be his last year or two, I’m all for it.  I’m not sentimental as much as I like him, but Fitz proved with Miami, he still can win tough games with the right tools around him.

Well he knows his role and there is an old saying....."those that can't do.......teach"

I don't think the Bills would be keep him around if he wasn't good at breaking down film and the Bills have 3 young QB's to groom .

With no cap room and being a good locker room guy don't be too surprised to see him back.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So you want us to sign Cam Newton as a backup QB? 

Do you think he would be content and constructive in that role and if so why?

Dude not my job to find a replacement for Barkley that's what the staff gets paid big bucks for. I'm just saying it shouldn't be to difficult to find a better replacement out there geeeezzzz.

Edited by ALLEN1QB

31 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Dude not my job to find a replacement for Barkley that what the staff get paid big bucks for. I'm just saying it shouldn't be to difficult to find a better replacement out there geeeezzzz.

The thing is who do you get cheap that will work with Josh...not against him?

There needs to be chemistry and continuity....I like old quotes...." if it ain't broke don't fix it"

The Bills are screwed  if Josh goes down.

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Dude not my job to find a replacement for Barkley that's what the staff gets paid big bucks for. I'm just saying it shouldn't be to difficult to find a better replacement out there geeeezzzz.

This is a discussion board.  No, it's not any of our jobs to find a replacement for any player, but we talk about it here.  When you say .....

13 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Will not be difficult to find an upgrade for sure

....if it's so not difficult (even giving our tight cap), don't you think it's reasonable to expect you've given it some thought and have some ideas to discuss with us?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

The thing is who do you get cheap that will work with Josh...not against him?

There needs to be chemistry and continuity....I like old quotes...." if it ain't broke don't fix it"

The Bills are screwed  if Josh goes down.

I'd like to see what Webb has got.  Rumor had it that he looked the best last training camp. 

Daboll has enthused about how hard he works to help Josh prepare.  We've seen social media of him hanging out with Josh, Sweeney, and Knox at a Blues game constructing a beer pyramid.  We've heard about how he called guys in the off season and helped them with the playbook. 

So it sounds like there's chemistry with Josh and teammates

He's also physically the most similar to Josh - 6'5", 230.  I don't know how that translates to athleticism, but supposedly he plays Scout Team safety, so there must be something there.

The thing is, the Broke part is the cap.  If the cap is gonna be between $180-$188, then the Bills are gonna have to make some economies.  And Barkley counted $2M against the cap last season.  He might sign for similar, but would he sign for less? 

Vet minimum for a 7+ year vet is >$1M

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think backup qb matters much until we can run the ball better. No backup will be able to throw and run the ball as well as Josh so our offense collapses without him. So if Barkley wants to accept the Bills' offer, that's fine.

I think the cap situation will be good enough to keep him and he will probably accept a similar deal.

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Matt Barkley is a UFA. He is 31 and finishing up a 2 year, 4 mill deal with 600k gtd. 

I would offer a 1 year team friendly deal and let him battle it out for QB 2 with Fromm and Webb and anyone else they happen to bring in at QB. If he’s beaten out for QB2 I cut him before the season. 

I think Beane’s comments about the Barkleys being a blessing and everything his wife does indicates we could expect an offer of some sort.  But I’m sure he realizes an upgrade is needed. If Allen gets hurt, I’m not sure any available backup is adequately replacing him. But how about Brissett? He’s a FA. I’m not sure about Fitz. Worried about the curse. 

Brissett sounds good to me...

18 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Barkley is eminently replaceable

The trouble is that we don't have the $$ this offseason to find someone that much better.  

Relying on Davis Webb or Jake Fromm as #2 is probably not a great strategy either

Sure it is. The reality is if Allen gets hurt and misses multiple games the season is doomed. Last year was the time to carryv3 QBs so you could groom Fromm to be the clipboard holder for 2021. They need every dollar of cap space and spending it on a veteran QB backup makes no sense for 2021.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sure it is. The reality is if Allen gets hurt and misses multiple games the season is doomed. Last year was the time to carryv3 QBs so you could groom Fromm to be the clipboard holder for 2021. They need every dollar of cap space and spending it on a veteran QB backup makes no sense for 2021.

This.  Money is tight this season.  Fromm was a 5th round pick and there were no pre-season games to showcase him, so they probably could have easily cut him and stashed him on the PS.  That they kept him on the 53-man roster tells me they liked what they saw and didn't want to take even a 1% chance he was lost.

• Agree 1

I voted to get rid of him. I liked what Barkley brought to the team but it is time to move on. He is a career backup and we have some young guys waiting for their turn. If we get stuck with Fromm QB ing for a couple weeks next year....that is why we need to establish the run game more so we know if we need to run the ball with one of these back ups in the game we can. The best player available in the draft where we are picking is going to be a running back. That is the position that usually falls in the draft.