YoloinOhio

Backup QB Matt Barkley  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or “wave good-bye”

• Do whatever it takes to re-sign
    • Offer a team-friendly deal but let him walk if he has better offers
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Depends on his value, going forward, as a mentor to Allen.  He's gotten high praise so far in that area, but I wouldn't say we've got one of the league's better #2's - in pure quarterbacking form - from what I've seen.  

Is he ready to coach?

Re: your last point - was thinking the same. :beer:

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Matt Barkley is a UFA. He is 31 and finishing up a 2 year, 4 mill deal with 600k gtd. 

I would offer a 1 year team friendly deal and let him battle it out for QB 2 with Fromm and Webb and anyone else they happen to bring in at QB. If he’s beaten out for QB2 I cut him before the season. 

I think Beane’s comments about the Barkleys being a blessing and everything his wife does indicates we could expect an offer of some sort.  But I’m sure he realizes an upgrade is needed. If Allen gets hurt, I’m not sure any available backup is adequately replacing him. But how about Brissett? He’s a FA. I’m not sure about Fitz. Worried about the curse. 

I would like to see Webb and Fromm get the chance to battle for the job.

A player I would like to keep an eye on is Kyle Allen, currently with the Washington Redskins.  He is an ERFA, meaning if the Redskins offer him a contract he either takes it or doesn't play, but if they don't offer him a contract, he becomes a FA.  But, WFT has Alex Smith on the roster and just re-signed Taylor Heinicke to a 2 year $4.74M deal, making it unclear what role they would have for Allen.

He is very good friends with Josh, they train together in the off-season and their girlfriends are also friends.  He's shown some ability to play in CAR and with WFT (IMO better than Barkley), so he may get an offer somewhere to start, but if not, keep an eye on him. 

I think Matt Barkley and Lee Smith are two of the leaders you have to make a "hard decision" to let out of the building in these cap-crunched times.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Matt Barkley is a UFA. He is 31 and finishing up a 2 year, 4 mill deal with 600k gtd. 

I would offer a 1 year team friendly deal and let him battle it out for QB 2 with Fromm and Webb and anyone else they happen to bring in at QB. If he’s beaten out for QB2 I cut him before the season. 

I think Beane’s comments about the Barkleys being a blessing and everything his wife does indicates we could expect an offer of some sort.  But I’m sure he realizes an upgrade is needed. If Allen gets hurt, I’m not sure any available backup is adequately replacing him. But how about Brissett? He’s a FA. I’m not sure about Fitz. Worried about the curse. 

I’m very “meh” on this one. But for the sake of argument I say buh bye Barkley buh bye.

A journeyman vet that can't cut it as a starter but can win a few games if Allen is out would be ideal.  I just don't see Barkley being able to beat an average team and that's a problem.  I'd let him walk.

Fitz or Dalton would be my top choices.  I think Fitz will command more money than we'd like to spend on the backup quarterback, though.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

pretty much agree with all of this.

I feel Josh has outgrew his guidance and can fairly easily find an upgrade but you can't take away the 2 years he spent mentoring Josh and learning the system.  

Doubt there's a market for Barkley,  hope he signs a team friendly deal. Great teammate

Man, I'm torn. I love the fact that he's legitimate offseason friends with Josh and knows his role. I think there's an aspect to keeping Barkley that provides continuity and support for our star QB which I love. But I don't really want him to see the field. Nobody is looking to sign Matt Barkley so I'm okay with a team friendly deal, we're just going to need another QB with actual physical talent on the depth chart if Josh ever goes down for more than a game or two.

Edited by Nelius

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Barkley: unranked/forgotten apparently 

The question for me is less about Barkley vs. Fromm/Webb and more about Barkley vs. one of the guys above. I'm not looking for a backup to win the SB, just a guy that can run a pro offense and maybe win a game or two if Josh goes down mid season. Barkley knows the team and I can't imagine other teams are knocking down that door so I assume cost isn't an issue. With that said of the guys above I'd take Fitz over Barkley if it were feasible.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Barkley: unranked/forgotten apparently 

wow---its stunning how shallow the QB position is. These guys are generally awful.Thats the problem with the NFL and has been the problem for decades.The QBing is awful.  There should be a QB school that shows nothing but vids of Brady. The not very athletic(athletic enough)but the smartest,calmest,most focused,BEST QB since Montana. Maybe 7 of the above players would be acceptable for a regular season game or two inorder t o preserve the W-L record. Maybe Fitz, Dak or Jameis could win a playoff game for you...No QB no winning in the league. The best Qbs in the league exc for Mahomes and maybe JA are all middle aged men.Thats stunning.