Bills prospect Syracuse CB Ifeatu Melifonwu

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Somebody posted the previous 20 or 30 years of #30 picks and it's a wasteland. They do not pan out well, and most notably it was a recent logjam of 5 or 6 DB's that have gone on to do nothing. One was Deandre Baker, for example.

Swing for the best offensive talent available, ideally RB or TE.

Except TJ Watt? The reason it is a lot of corners, a receiver, a tackle and a couple of edge guys is precisely for that positional value reason. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Except TJ Watt? The reason it is a lot of corners, a receiver, a tackle and a couple of edge guys is precisely for that positional value reason. 

I actually made the edit but your reply beat me to it. You're right, TJ Watt is the exception. Beyond that it's a wasteland of DBs.

Drafting a bad corner isn't going to get you TJ Watt, I'm sure we can all agree there.

15 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It's going to be a high 4.4 if he does sneak in there. I would tend to think he's in the low 4.5's but I know Tony Pauline for example has him pegged as a 4.47.

Honestly as somebody who played D-Back at a high level, 40 time is overrated 

Sure it's always good to have speed

But there's lots of guys who run 4.3s and can't understand route combinations or how to cover somebody..  

Give me somebody who runs a 4.47 , is cerebral and understands route combinations.. and is versatile and physical

Honestly I ran a 4.44 in my prime and my speed was a much bigger asset on special teams and running the ball, then it was at cb 

My awareness, play recognition, quickness and physicality were much more important

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

I actually made the edit but your reply beat me to it. You're right, TJ Watt is the exception. Beyond that it's a wasteland of DBs.

Drafting a bad corner isn't going to get you TJ Watt, I'm sure we can all agree there.

Agree and I actually don't think it is a great year to go corner at #30 my views on this corner class are well known. But that doesn't mean throw out positional value. I get the argument for Najee or for Etienne - probably no other player you are drafting there has the same impact on 2021 but you shouldn't draft just for the year right in front of your nose. Especially not when you are a team that has just started paying your guys. Those first round picks need to be restocking the cupboard at those big $$ positions.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Honestly and somebody who played D-Back at a high level, 40 time is overrated 

Sure it's always good to have speed

But there's lots of guys who run 4.3s and can't understand route combinations or how to cover somebody..  

Give me somebody who runs a 4.47 , is cerebral and understands route combinations.. and is versatile and physical

Honestly I ran a 4.44 in my prime and my speed was a much bigger asset on special teams and running the ball, then it was at cb 

My awareness, play recognition, quickness and physicality were much more important

And the 'cuse kid definitely does not look as if he plays that speed to me. Which does suggest his instincts and play recognition are lacking which is stopping him playing fast. If he runs in the 4.4s it makes me like him less not more in that sense.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree and I actually don't think it is a great year to go corner at #30 my views on this corner class are well known. But that doesn't mean throw out positional value. I get the argument for Najee or for Etienne - probably no other player you are drafting there has the same impact on 2021 but you shouldn't draft just for the year right in front of your nose. Especially not when you are a team that has just started paying your guys. Those first round picks need to be restocking the cupboard at those big $$ positions.

And the 'cuse kid definitely does not look as if he plays that speed to me. Which does suggest his instincts and play recognition are lacking which is stopping him playing fast. If he runs in the 4.4s it makes me like him less not more in that sense.

Yeah you like to see people's game speed match with their shorts

There's a 1000 guys who run fast in shorts 

There's not a lot of guys who process things at a quick rate and play fast in the NFL.. he's definitely physically talented when the ball is in the air

But it's the finer things at cornerback.. the nuances that separate the great from the rest of the pack.. 

The mental game needs work. If he could figure out route combinations he could be a very good zone corner with his ball skills

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Put it this way we just had 4 years of Milano he was an important part of this defense, played really well, massively out performed his draft slot..... and yet we are letting him walk. That tells you the positional value the Bills place on it. Guys you spend a 1st on should be guys you foresee giving a 2nd contract to. 

On the flip side... supposedly Milano is going to get $12m + a year... why would a team pay him this if they can just get a guy like him in the 3rd round?

Arent the Bills letting him walk because they can’t afford to pay him? If he was up last year when they had more money they were probably more likely to re-sign him instead of Addison for example...

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

On the flip side... supposedly Milano is going to get $12m + a year... why would a team pay him this if they can just get a guy like him in the 3rd round?

Arent the Bills letting him walk because they can’t afford to pay him? If he was up last year when they had more money they were probably more likely to re-sign him instead of Addison for example...

I don't think it is easy to just go find one as good as Milano and that is why teams sign free agents. Because they are known commodities and a shortcut to having to draft everyone. 

The Bills can afford to keep Milano. But they can't afford to keep everyone and they have looked at the contracts coming up and the guys they have already paid - Tre, Dawkins, Diggs and they have said outside linebacker is not a priority for them.

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is easy to just go find one as good as Milano and that is why teams sign free agents. Because they are known commodities and a shortcut to having to draft everyone. 

The Bills can afford to keep Milano. But they can't afford to keep everyone and they have looked at the contracts coming up and the guys they have already paid - Tre, Dawkins, Diggs and they have said outside linebacker is not a priority for them.

So as started this discussion, take his replacement at 30 if there is someone there you like...

Its pick 30 not pick 10

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans never want a corner, even when we need one. lol, I don't understand why. I don't think I've ever seen this place excited about a CB drafted high in the draft.

I laughed way too hard at this.

I blame Leodis McKelvin. 

But seriously I think the reason is the Bills had a history of drafting good DBs and then letting them walk after 1 contract. Which is kinda my Milano point. Those picks should be guys you can see contributing for you for a decade over two contracts. I think offensive tackle and corner both make a lot of sense at #30. You are paying Dawkins and Trey big for the next 5 years.... be nice to have a cost controlled guy opposite them in the other tackle / corner spot. Think OT is likely stronger at the backend of the first than corner in this class.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. I just don't really think it is where you spend a #1.

Najee at 30 is close to a 2 at that point- I feel what your saying but this guys is a Derrick Henry type- and if he is there when we pick, and BPA im pulling the trigger. We have two number 2 RBs no true 1.

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Najee at 30 is close to a 2 at that point- I feel what your saying but this guys is a Derrick Henry type- and if he is there when we pick, and BPA im pulling the trigger. We have two number 2 RBs no true 1.

And if you are just thinking purely about 2021 I wouldn't tell you it is the wrong pick. I still think you have to think about long term positional value though. 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And if you are just thinking purely about 2021 I wouldn't tell you it is the wrong pick. I still think you have to think about long term positional value though. 

A high to mid first round pick, and I’d agree with you, but at 30 - if we ever want to cost effective elite RB - taking Harris or Etienne (if available) is how we’re going to get one... even if it’s only for 4 years.  

As a team, with Allen, that should be a contender every year, it changes the dynamic a bit.  Especially when we have LT, WR1, and CB1 all locked down with really talented young players.   

If there’s an EDGE available at 30 who can hold down that spot at a high level for a decade, I agree, you go there, but that’s highly unlikely to be the case.  

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

A high to mid first round pick, and I’d agree with you, but at 30 - if we ever want to cost effective elite RB - taking Harris or Etienne (if available) is how we’re going to get one... even if it’s only for 4 years.  

As a team, with Allen, that should be a contender every year, it changes the dynamic a bit.  Especially when we have LT, WR1, and CB1 all locked down with really talented young players.   

If there’s an EDGE available at 30 who can hold down that spot at a high level for a decade, I agree, you go there, but that’s highly unlikely to be the case.  

Patrick Jones will be there!! Get him!  He’ll be gone before we pick in the 2nd rd.

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I get it as a chips in the middle of the table pick. Still don't love it strategically. 

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills prospect Syracuse CB Ifeatu Melifonwu
1 hour ago, chongli said:

FWIW, Ryan Wilson of CBS Sports has Kansas City taking Melifonwu at 31, right after we pick at 30. He has Edge Gregory Rousseau going to us:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-49ers-panthers-all-trade-up-for-qbs-dolphins-land-wr-and-rb-for-tua/

I'd take Rousseau if he dropped I think. 

• Like (+1) 1