Bills prospect Syracuse CB Ifeatu Melifonwu

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills draft prospect Syracuse CB Ifeatu Melifonwu

I don't know much about this player specifically, but I do love the idea of getting a corner early to pair with Tre. I know there's a lot of different directions we could go but that's definitely a strong option. The corner room would look pretty solid with Tre, Levi, Dane and a first round rookie. 

Meh, I don't see the need for us to draft a CB early. CB2 isn't that critical in McDermott's scheme. I'd be fine with Jackson, Wallace, and EJ Gaines in an open competition for CB2 next year. Keep drafting them on day 3. We have much bigger needs to address early in the draft.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Hate the idea of taking a CB at 30. We are already young at the position, sign a vet in FA if we want more depth. Sherman may be somewhat washed up but he's a perfect fit for this defense. 

We need another playmaker for Josh or front 7 of we go defense. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Meh, I don't see the need for us to draft a CB early. CB2 isn't that critical in McDermott's scheme. I'd be fine with Jackson, Wallace, and EJ Gaines in an open competition for CB2 next year. Keep drafting them on day 3. We have much bigger needs to address early in the draft.

EJ Gaines tore his Achilles trying to read this. 

• Haha (+1) 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

EJ Gaines tore his Achilles trying to read this. 

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily expect him to make it through the season, but I'm fine with Wallace and Jackson this season if it comes to it. If we're drafting defense the front 7 needs to be the priority. Secondary is all set.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

Man, I remember when his brother Obi blew up the combine, was drafted by the raiders in the second round and promptly was a bust.

He may be a better player but probably can get a better player at 30. Though I do think we will draft a few CBs this year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily expect him to make it through the season, but I'm fine with Wallace and Jackson this season if it comes to it. If we're drafting defense the front 7 needs to be the priority. Secondary is all set.

Gaines was cut. He's not on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I’m not sure I agree on that for the simple fact of getting value where it exists. CB2 is a relative need, and if the value is there, you pull the trigger.

As for Melifonwu- I’m not a tape junkie, but what I’ve read/seen/heard of him is that his size and athleticism is a very nice setup. He offers some upside covering TE’s as well.

My two later round CB crushes are Israel Mukuamu from SC, and Kelvin Joseph from Kentucky.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Process said:

Gaines was cut. He's not on the team.

I bet we end up signing him for the vet minimum or a little higher. Two seasons in a row McDermott tried to make him a part of the team after seeing him play in 2017. Clearly he thinks he's a fit. Whether he can actually make it through a season is a fair question...

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our greatest need is a pass rusher. If Watt snubs us then you absolutely have to use FA better then the swing & miss on guys like Murphy and Addison. I don't know if Ngakoue or Hendrickson are the answers but drafting a late 1st or 2nd rounder is so risky. I do like Basham alot....

• Like (+1) 1

30 is WAY too early for corner imo. We have guys that can compete and play well for CB2. Dane Jackson played well when he got snaps. 

Get me a playmaker on offense, an offensive tackle, or a twitchy edge at 30. We need to be able to keep up with the chiefs in a shootout. We also might lose Daryl Williams in FA so we will need a RT. 

As far as edge goes...if we can’t get a twitchy guy that can set the edge and terrorize the qb, then please don’t take one. We already have a slug in Epenesa. Please don’t draft the same player two years in a row with our first pick. We already drafted similar running backs two years in a row and we are still at a need for that position. 

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Man, I remember when his brother Obi blew up the combine, was drafted by the raiders in the second round and promptly was a bust.

He may be a better player but probably can get a better player at 30. Though I do think we will draft a few CBs this year.

I hated that Obi went to the raiders. He was all traits but needed a lot of work. Terrible landing spot. His brother may take a lesson from Obi's mistakes, but of course he can't control where he goes. We know that the NFL values traits so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets pushed up the board in a weak CB class. 

I actually think the Bills would be a good fit but #30 is a bit high for me.

Disagree with those who hate the idea of a corner at #30. I think it is a need and a significant one. After edge and possibly tackle if Williams isn't back it is the best use of the pick matching value and need. 

Don't love the player. I have a high 3rd on him I think. If we are drafting a corner a real athlete with speed is the type I think we should target. I actually think Melifonwu might end up a safety at the NFL level.

EDIT: should clarify the first para is in theory. In practice I don't love this corner class. The top 3 will be gone and Greg Newsome is the only other guy I'd even consider in the first. Melifonwu and Samuel and Robinson and the other corners I have seen mocked to us there.... no thanks.

The idea I most hate though is that we spend #30 on a will linebacker or a guard. That is just bad positional value. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It's worth pointing out that the folks making the decision of who to select are also the folks who have firsthand knowledge of how our defensive schemes and playcalling had to (or didn't have to) adjust to accommodate for a deficiency at CB2. Better coverage improves the pass rush; better pass rush improves coverage -- that sort of thing.

I guess what I'm saying is just because it's perceived to be a lesser role in the defense, does not mean that it isn't/wasn't an issue, and didn't attribute to other positions where there are also perceived issues... It's also not factoring in free agency (more decisions the same people get to make!!!) and offhand, it's looking like DL free agency will be more robust than CB...