Podcast with Christian Wade, worth a listen IMO especially for the "Why isn't CWade playing?" folks

16 hours ago, Process said:

That play in the preseason was hilarious. He had an open path to the endzone and just runs to the middle of the field for no reason 😄😄

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He explains how he saw it in the podcast, it makes sense from that perspective but shows what a long way he had to grow in his understanding

Wade may have said this, but you could see on that play that his rugby instincts took over. In rugby union, the runner wants to get into their version of the end zone and down the ball as close to the middle of the field/goalposts as possible. That's because the ensuing conversion kick (basically an XP that counts as 2 points) is taken on a parallel line from the spot where the ball was downed. So if the runner gets to the middle which is harder to score from, the kick is very easy. Conversely, it's usually easier to score a try from the wider areas of the field, but then the angle and distance of the kick is much tougher. 

Definitely would recommend watching the Six Nations tournament that's on now (great timing now that football is over and my Saturdays/Sundays are free!). My Ireland team are struggling this year, but still worth a watch!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After what we have seen in the small amount of play he has had in the preseason i just want to see him on the field with the team come game day i think his athleticism has shown when ever he has been on the field his game speed looked pretty good to me and he has now been here 2 full seasons so he knows the offense .

I think he could be the missing piece to the run game he's still not as big a back as i would like to see the Bills have but i think his speed is better than either of the younger backs they have now .

It's time to use him or lose him to give someone else a chance to make the run game better .

If they let Andre Roberts go ... if they let Isaiah McKenzie go, or if they keep him but want to save him more for the offense (or don't trust him not fumbling punts) ... maybe, just maybe, there's a chance Wade could see the field next year. I'd love to see it, not because I think he'd be better than those 2 guys, but just because.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is now or never for him this coming camp and pre-season I feel. Rooting for him to crack it.

With roberts jones and possibly mckenzie gone there's definitely a job to get.  

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If they let Andre Roberts go ... if they let Isaiah McKenzie go, or if they keep him but want to save him more for the offense (or don't trust him not fumbling punts) ... maybe, just maybe, there's a chance Wade could see the field next year. I'd love to see it, not because I think he'd be better than those 2 guys, but just because.

There's also special teams - taiwan jones is a free agent as well.  

Edited by dneveu

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

Funny...My Mom is 101 (actually 101-1/2) and is still correcting people's grammar. Just last night she told her nurse "I want you do me a big favor please. Next time you say the word often don't pronounce the t, it's supposed to be silent." 

The 't' in 'often' has had a resurgence, much like the 'd' in 'handsome'. This is actually due to an increase in education and understanding of spelling.

Both are correct, according to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (4th ed.).

'Often' comes from 'oft' and people stopped pronouncing the 't' merely because of laziness.

"With the rise of public education and people’s awareness of spelling in the 19th century, according to the dictionary, sounds that had become silent were sometimes restored. This is what happened with the “t” in “often.”"

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/07/often.html

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Steve O said:

Funny...My Mom is 101 (actually 101-1/2) and is still correcting people's grammar. Just last night she told her nurse "I want you do me a big favor please. Next time you say the word often don't pronounce the t, it's supposed to be silent." 

I’ve noticed in America the t pronunciation is common among pseudo intellectuals who over enunciate each word in an attempt sound smart. I think its become common to assess intelligence based on speech and language more than actual content. 

Disclaimer: To all of you who pronounce the t in often, this is a generalized observation. It isn’t meant as a personal insult 😂 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

The 't' in 'often' has had a resurgence, much like the 'd' in 'handsome'. This is actually due to an increase in education and understanding of spelling.

Both are correct, according to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (4th ed.).

'Often' comes from 'oft' and people stopped pronouncing the 't' merely because of laziness.

"With the rise of public education and people’s awareness of spelling in the 19th century, according to the dictionary, sounds that had become silent were sometimes restored. This is what happened with the “t” in “often.”"

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/07/often.html

From the OED, here is literally all you need to know (see the end especially; subscription is required and I can't embed the sound links):

Pronunciation:

Brit. Hear pronunciation/ˈɒf(ə)n/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɒft(ə)n/,

U.S. Hear pronunciation/ˈɔf(ə)n/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɑft(ə)n/
Forms:  Middle English offen, Middle English offtyn, Middle English oftin, Middle English ofton, Middle English oftun, Middle English oftyn, Middle English oftyne, Middle English ouften, Middle English– often, 1500s hofen, 1500s hoften, 1500s offten, 1900s– affin (Irish English), 1900s– aften (Irish English); Scottish pre-1700 ofen, pre-1700 oftin, pre-1700 1700s– aften, pre-1700 1700s– often, 1800s af'en, 1800s– affen. Comparative Middle English oftynar, Middle English oftynner, Middle English– oftener, 1600s ofner, 1600s–1700s oftner, 1700s offner, 1700s off'ner; also Scottish pre-1700 oftner, pre-1700 oiftner, pre-1700 1700s– aftener, 1900s– af'ner. Superlative 1500s oftnest, 1500s oftneste, 1600s– oftenest, 1700s oft'nest; also Scottish 1900s– aftenest. (Show Less)
Origin: Formed within English, by derivation. Etymons: English ofte  , oft adv., -(e)n.
Etymology: < ofte, variant of oft adv. + -(e)n, probably after selden, variant of seldom adv. and adj.
Often is less commonly used than oft until the 16th cent.

Several orthoepists of the 16th and 17th centuries, including Hart, Bullokar, Robinson, Gil, and Hodges, give a pronunciation with medial -t- . Others, including Coles, Young, Strong, and Brown, record a pronunciation without -t- , which, despite its use in the 16th cent. by Elizabeth I, seems to have been avoided by careful speakers in the 17th cent. (see E. J. Dobson Eng. Pronunc. 1500–1700 (ed. 2, 1968) II. §405). Loss of t after f occurs in other cases; compare soften v., and also raft n.1, haft n.1, etc. The pronunciation with -t- has frequently been considered to be hypercorrection in recent times: see for example H. W. Fowler Mod. Eng. Usage (1926), s.v.

N.E.D. (1902) records the pronunciation (ǫ̀·f'n) /ˈɒf(ə)n/, /ˈɔːf(ə)n/ (see etymological note s.v. O n.1).

It's like asking, why isn't a second year medial student performing surgery?  He has no experience in the game.  

Based on what I have seen for 4 years, I trust the coaching staff to make the right decision more often than not.  

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

From the OED, here is literally all you need to know (see the end especially; subscription is required and I can't embed the sound links):

Pronunciation:

Brit. Hear pronunciation/ˈɒf(ə)n/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɒft(ə)n/,

U.S. Hear pronunciation/ˈɔf(ə)n/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɑft(ə)n/
Forms:  Middle English offen, Middle English offtyn, Middle English oftin, Middle English ofton, Middle English oftun, Middle English oftyn, Middle English oftyne, Middle English ouften, Middle English– often, 1500s hofen, 1500s hoften, 1500s offten, 1900s– affin (Irish English), 1900s– aften (Irish English); Scottish pre-1700 ofen, pre-1700 oftin, pre-1700 1700s– aften, pre-1700 1700s– often, 1800s af'en, 1800s– affen. Comparative Middle English oftynar, Middle English oftynner, Middle English– oftener, 1600s ofner, 1600s–1700s oftner, 1700s offner, 1700s off'ner; also Scottish pre-1700 oftner, pre-1700 oiftner, pre-1700 1700s– aftener, 1900s– af'ner. Superlative 1500s oftnest, 1500s oftneste, 1600s– oftenest, 1700s oft'nest; also Scottish 1900s– aftenest. (Show Less)
Origin: Formed within English, by derivation. Etymons: English ofte  , oft adv., -(e)n.
Etymology: < ofte, variant of oft adv. + -(e)n, probably after selden, variant of seldom adv. and adj.
Often is less commonly used than oft until the 16th cent.

Several orthoepists of the 16th and 17th centuries, including Hart, Bullokar, Robinson, Gil, and Hodges, give a pronunciation with medial -t- . Others, including Coles, Young, Strong, and Brown, record a pronunciation without -t- , which, despite its use in the 16th cent. by Elizabeth I, seems to have been avoided by careful speakers in the 17th cent. (see E. J. Dobson Eng. Pronunc. 1500–1700 (ed. 2, 1968) II. §405). Loss of t after f occurs in other cases; compare soften v., and also raft n.1, haft n.1, etc. The pronunciation with -t- has frequently been considered to be hypercorrection in recent times: see for example H. W. Fowler Mod. Eng. Usage (1926), s.v.

N.E.D. (1902) records the pronunciation (ǫ̀·f'n) /ˈɒf(ə)n/, /ˈɔːf(ə)n/ (see etymological note s.v. O n.1).

That don't confront me long as I get my money next Friday.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You have one part right; improve the dialog. Re-read your post before before tapping Submit Reply. It’s simple, really..

If you're concerned with correctness, start with your posts: your semi-colon should be a colon, "reread" doesn't take a hyphen ("run-on," from your previous post, does); and your ".." needs to be either an ellipses or period. Face it (note the correct colon here): Your reply to my post was out of line, especially for a moderator. Instead of doubling down, you should apologize. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It seems we've been rooting for this guy for 10 years....

You’ve mistaken him for Duke Williams... 

• Haha (+1) 1