Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree they are a contender for sure.  I really liked Pittman coming out of college too and think he is going to keep getting better next year as well.

The main reason I am sold on whether or not Wentz can be an upgrade to Rivers though is he was one of the worst rated passers in the NFL last year while throwing from a clean pocket.  So the excuse of a bad OL doesn't excuse those inaccuracies.  Maybe its a confidence issue, maybe its he played above his ability for part of a season in 2017.  We don't really know.  I mean we have seen guys like Nick Foles have small great stretches of football in their careers too and just not be as good as those small pockets made it seem.  

So I am not ready to say Wentz rebounds to a point he is automatically an upgrade to Rivers just yet.  But I do fully acknowledge the potential is there.  

I do think at the very least the Colts are no worse off than they were with Rivers last year because he wasn't relied on to carry the team.  They have a good overall roster there for sure.  

And if Wentz can be an upgrade to Rivers, then Colts are firmly in the "real threat" category of the Bills, Titans, Browns, and Ravens next year to the Chiefs in the AFC.  If he's isnt much of an upgrade, or worse, then I think they are still a playoff team, but not in the same contender status of the others I mentioned.  

Agree 💯. I definitely agree there are a lot of warts for Wentz. But I do think things went to far the other way. That Eagles offense was kinda garbage around him and I don’t think Rivers was that good last year. But there’s also a chance Carson isn’t that good. 

but man, he is going to a great situation for a qb. If he can’t play well there, he should never start again.

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even with a clean pocket, Wentz was bad.  Lots of sacks were problems reading the Defense or finding his receivers.

He's had only 2 full seasons.  He's had 1 pretty good season--and couldn't finish, relying on a backup QB to win his franchise a SB.  The next season he was 5-6 with only 21 TDs.....before being injured again.  Last year he couldn't finish the season because he stunk the place up.  He's the opposite of a leader---including in the locker room.

The Colts may not even be the best team in their division now.

Yeah, I can’t argue with that. I think the Philly situation kinda sucked and I’ve seen Wentz so elite things. He carried garbage to the playoffs a couple of years ago.  I think he will do well in Indy, but I won’t be shocked either way. 

This will likely turn out very well for Indy, but they are taking a big chance on Wentz, that he can turn things around.

Although the Colts did not give up much, they are now saddled with the huge contract Wentz signed.  It will be expensive for the Colts to get rid of Wentz if he doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm a well known Rivers skeptic here.  But he has a long career as a very productive QB.  Wentz has one partial season. 

lol, I bet Colts fans would love reading that.

Physically limited?  How many games has Rivers missed in his career?  How about zero in 15 seasons since he became starter.  Wentz struggles with the physical part of the game and clearly, the mental part of the game.

One could argue the “many seasons” angle AGAINST Rivers because he was ancient and Wentz is not.

I have you backtracking like you’re playing defense!

6 hours ago, colin said:

reich + wentz = chan + fitz

colts lookin kinda scary

Not scared 😲

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

One could argue the “many seasons” angle AGAINST Rivers because he was ancient and Wentz is not.

Bend but don’t break Weo

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm a well known Rivers skeptic here.  But he has a long career as a very productive QB.  Wentz has one partial season. 

lol, I bet Colts fans would love reading that.

Physically limited?  How many games has Rivers missed in his career?  How about zero in 15 seasons since he became starter.  Wentz struggles with the physical part of the game and clearly, the mental part of the game.

Rivers is known as the statue here in Indy.  No mobility.  Wentz can use his legs to scramble out of trouble.  Colts fans are stoked by this trade.

14 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Not scared 😲

Bend but don’t break Weo

The Colts came close to beating the Bills.  Wentz can be that added component that they lack.

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Physical as in arm talent wise. The playbook is smaller with a QB like Rivers. Wentz can throw any pass you want

I think JP got hosed. He got hurt on a dirty play and the team kind of railroaded him. He was electric with Evans, would have been cool to see what he could have done with another WR and a better defense. 

You are quoting opposing DBs?

JPL was hopelessly overdraft.  He was terrible. His career, for what it was, was a true gift for a guy who absolutely didn't belong.  "Hosed"?  nah--his entire career was a bizarre act of charity by the NFL.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree 💯. I definitely agree there are a lot of warts for Wentz. But I do think things went to far the other way. That Eagles offense was kinda garbage around him and I don’t think Rivers was that good last year. But there’s also a chance Carson isn’t that good. 

but man, he is going to a great situation for a qb. If he can’t play well there, he should never start again.

Yeah, I can’t argue with that. I think the Philly situation kinda sucked and I’ve seen Wentz so elite things. He carried garbage to the playoffs a couple of years ago.  I think he will do well in Indy, but I won’t be shocked either way. 

"garbage"?  lol ok. top 10 D and 14th O.  They lost that one playoff game that Wentz was physically able to show up for (for about 10 seconds).  

Foles won a playoff game the year before and 3 (SB) the year before that.

41 minutes ago, FireChans said:

LOL....My point was he has had an outstanding career.  Wentz is a dud at this point.  He was playing like a 70 year old Rivers last year.

11 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Rivers is known as the statue here in Indy.  No mobility.  Wentz can use his legs to scramble out of trouble.  Colts fans are stoked by this trade.

The Colts came close to beating the Bills.  Wentz can be that added component that they lack.

And toss 15 ints in 12 starts.

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wentz is basically Ryan Tannehill leaving Miami and going to Tennessee. I expect Wentz to be very good in Indy. 

We can debate that in the future for sure. I never wish losing on anybody individual player outside of Marsha. That being said if they keep that strong running game rolling and protect Wentz I could see him having success. However, it would still be dependent on the team around him more so than Wentz being the catalyst.

You are quoting opposing DBs?

JPL was hopelessly overdraft.  He was terrible. His career, for what it was, was a true gift for a guy who absolutely didn't belong.  "Hosed"?  nah--his entire career was a bizarre act of charity by the NFL.

"garbage"?  lol ok. top 10 D and 14th O.  They lost that one playoff game that Wentz was physically able to show up for (for about 10 seconds).  

Foles won a playoff game the year before and 3 (SB) the year before that.

LOL....My point was he has had an outstanding career.  Wentz is a dud at this point.  He was playing like a 70 year old Rivers last year.

And toss 15 ints in 12 starts.

He was behind the worst O line in the NFL.  Missing two of his top three WRs for majority of the season.  I give him a pass on last season.  

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Physical as in arm talent wise. The playbook is smaller with a QB like Rivers. Wentz can throw any pass you want. 

I think JP got hosed. He got hurt on a dirty play and the team kind of railroaded him. He was electric with Evans, would have been cool to see what he could have done with another WR and a better defense. 

JP had a million dollar arm and a two cent brain.   Zero awareness in pocket .  Thats why he never made it.   Chucking up bombs for Evans to try to run under was never going to be a successful game plan long term

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Plus I think Frank can improve on Wentz numbers. 

I see a Carson Wentz turnaround of Ryan Tannehill proportions about to take place.   They are the same player leaving the same situation.  Yeah, maybe Wentz doesn't have a Derrick Henry but Jonathan Taylor is no slouch and they have pieces that can play, good tight ends, etc.  Don't forget Wentz was probably taking the Eagles to the Super Bowl when Big D*!k Nick took them there just 3 seasons ago.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Phillip Rivers was the #10 QB in 2020.

12 games, Wentz was #26 with a completion % 57.4 percentage.

437 attempts, 2437 yards 16 TD, 15 INTs. 

Somebody will need to be a magician to get Wentz to look like a franchise QB again... 

This is the way is see it, too.

I don’t think the Colts got better with this move vs. who they had at QB last year.