Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually - I think for that contract they gave up a bunch.

3rd this year and a high likely hood off a #1 next year.

More than I expected and way more than I would of paid for Wentz. 

Moves the pressure to Chicago to act on the available QBs.

I always forget about the contract part.  Haha

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually - I think for that contract they gave up a bunch.

3rd this year and a high likely hood off a #1 next year.

More than I expected and way more than I would of paid for Wentz. 

Moves the pressure to Chicago to act on the available QBs.

They paid Rivers the same amount last year and his salary is a bargain for the next four years if Wentz can get back to his MVP form.  Colts have the salary cap space to take this contract on as I believe they'll pry be around 45 million under the cap now.  Plus, they can cut bait with him after two years scotch free if he doesn't work out.  This has the potential to backfire but it's more likely to work out than not imo. 

I'm just laughing at the Eagles having to eat 33.8 million in dead cap.  The last three years was a complete organizational failure by the Eagles when it came to Wentz.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I think this move tells me the Jets may be set with Sam Darnold because, even though I know more QB's are available, I thought Darnold had Colts written all over him. In fact, I'd rather have Darnold than Wentz.

Wentz was bad. Darnold was worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree with most of this but I definitely think he’s an upgrade over Rivers. They are a SB contender. And Pittman is going to be a problem.  That’s a good team there. 

I agree they are a contender for sure.  I really liked Pittman coming out of college too and think he is going to keep getting better next year as well.

The main reason I am sold on whether or not Wentz can be an upgrade to Rivers though is he was one of the worst rated passers in the NFL last year while throwing from a clean pocket.  So the excuse of a bad OL doesn't excuse those inaccuracies.  Maybe its a confidence issue, maybe its he played above his ability for part of a season in 2017.  We don't really know.  I mean we have seen guys like Nick Foles have small great stretches of football in their careers too and just not be as good as those small pockets made it seem.  

So I am not ready to say Wentz rebounds to a point he is automatically an upgrade to Rivers just yet.  But I do fully acknowledge the potential is there.  

I do think at the very least the Colts are no worse off than they were with Rivers last year because he wasn't relied on to carry the team.  They have a good overall roster there for sure.  

And if Wentz can be an upgrade to Rivers, then Colts are firmly in the "real threat" category of the Bills, Titans, Browns, and Ravens next year to the Chiefs in the AFC.  If he's isnt much of an upgrade, or worse, then I think they are still a playoff team, but not in the same contender status of the others I mentioned.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Rivers played well against but that was like his best game of the year. The colts are a top 10 talented offense. Eagles were bottom 10.  The Colts gave up 19 sacks with Rivers who has the mobility of a tree stump. The Eagles allowed 65 sacks with 2 of the most mobile qbs in the league. 

so do I think barring health that Wentz could do better than Rivers 24 td to 11 ints? Hell yeah. I’d wager on it and I don’t really like Wentz that much. I just love the situation for any qb there and Rivers was on his last legs.

Even with a clean pocket, Wentz was bad.  Lots of sacks were problems reading the Defense or finding his receivers.

He's had only 2 full seasons.  He's had 1 pretty good season--and couldn't finish, relying on a backup QB to win his franchise a SB.  The next season he was 5-6 with only 21 TDs.....before being injured again.  Last year he couldn't finish the season because he stunk the place up.  He's the opposite of a leader---including in the locker room.

The Colts may not even be the best team in their division now.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't think Wentz is that guy anymore. Reich is taking an absolute put in my opinion on being able to revive him. It isn't impossible but I do think it is unlikely. 

Some of those sacks were on Carson Wentz though. Yes his line was bad but he struggles reading coverage and holds the damn ball so long. 

Also worth saying Indy's left tackle has just retired.

I believe they are moving Quentin Nelson to LT. Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, Nester said:

People talking about “massive” contract are clueless.

its $25mm next year. Same as Rivers.

Teddy bridgewater got $21 mill for crying out loud

$25 mill for a QB is low these days. Josh is going to want and get $40m

the contract was huge 3 years ago, now it’s normal.

If Josh does demand that top 5 contract and doesn’t deliver he’s getting the full reaming. It will be on the same level as I’ve been with Tre White our top paid CB who can’t cover Hill or Kelce or Nuke. We pay you top CB money to cover these guys, not Sammy Watkins.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even with a clean pocket, Wentz was bad.  Lots of sacks were problems reading the Defense or finding his receivers.

He's had only 2 full seasons.  He's had 1 pretty good season--and couldn't finish, relying on a backup QB to win his franchise a SB.  The next season he was 5-6 with only 21 TDs.....before being injured again.  Last year he couldn't finish the season because he stunk the place up.  He's the opposite of a leader---including in the locker room.

The Colts may not even be the best team in their division now.

Counterpoint: Rivers was also bad in 2019.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Rivers is completely physically limited and has a very small ceiling. I’d rather take a chance on Wentz with better line play and a better offense and defensive team. Wentz just needs to regain confidence, and that will improve with better team play. Colts got a steal of a deal. He reminds me of a better JP Losman. JP got his confidence rocked and was never the same, I often wonder how his career would have turned out with better team play. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Really? Hmm. Interesting. Not the way I'd have gone but then Andrew Whitworth was a guard who became a future HOF left tackle.

You generally need long arms if you are going to stay in the pockets of a top edge rusher.    Whitworth had them,  Nelson not so much.   I suspect the Colts will draft a tackle with the standard 35"+ arms.   Nelson to LT reminds me of Bruce Matthews to LT.........best game of Bruce Smith's career.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Darnold or Wentz is among one of the worst debates on here. Both have been ruined by their organizations and both won’t ever fulfill whatever predraft expectations they had.  Besides, how many failed QBs have actually turned it around with an another organization after being traded? I can’t think of any. 

Jim Plunkett---Raiders

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm a well known Rivers skeptic here.  But he has a long career as a very productive QB.  Wentz has one partial season. 

13 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Rivers is completely physically limited and has a very small ceiling. I’d rather take a chance on Wentz with better line play and a better offense and defensive team. Wentz just needs to regain confidence, and that will improve with better team play. Colts got a steal of a deal. He reminds me of a better JP Losman. JP got his confidence rocked and was never the same, I often wonder how his career would have turned out with better team play. 

lol, I bet Colts fans would love reading that.

Physically limited?  How many games has Rivers missed in his career?  How about zero in 15 seasons since he became starter.  Wentz struggles with the physical part of the game and clearly, the mental part of the game.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You generally need long arms if you are going to stay in the pockets of a top edge rusher.    Whitworth had them,  Nelson not so much.   I suspect the Colts will draft a tackle with the standard 35"+ arms.   Nelson to LT reminds me of Bruce Matthews to LT.........best game of Bruce Smith's career.

Good point. Also Whitworth, while a good guard, was not the best guard in the league. When a guy is so dominant at his spot I'd say risky to move him somewhere else, you might end up not solving LT and severely weakening LG. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm a well known Rivers skeptic here.  But he has a long career as a very productive QB.  Wentz has one partial season. 

lol, I bet Colts fans would love reading that.

Physically limited?  How many games has Rivers missed in his career?  How about zero in 15 seasons since he became starter.  Wentz struggles with the physical part of the game and clearly, the mental part of the game.

Physical as in arm talent wise. The playbook is smaller with a QB like Rivers. Wentz can throw any pass you want. 

I think JP got hosed. He got hurt on a dirty play and the team kind of railroaded him. He was electric with Evans, would have been cool to see what he could have done with another WR and a better defense. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills