Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You might, but Frank Reich obviously differs

Reich was OC with Eagles when they made the call to draft Wentz.  I think it's fair to say Wentz is a pretty open book to Reich.

I just don't think Wentz is that guy anymore. Reich is taking an absolute put in my opinion on being able to revive him. It isn't impossible but I do think it is unlikely. 

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

carson wentz was sacked 50 times last year

philip rivers was sacked 19 times

wentz is going to play much better

Some of those sacks were on Carson Wentz though. Yes his line was bad but he struggles reading coverage and holds the damn ball so long. 

Also worth saying Indy's left tackle has just retired.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Barley 300 and missed many more opportunities that a more athletic QB could have made both in the air and on the ground.

With the formula Indy figured out to shut buffalo down on 3rd down...and the Dominant OLINE of Colts...had 

Rivers not been sub 60% and created a little with his legs.

Indy was on their way to a east 40-45 point road victory that day.

If "ifs and buts" were "candy and nuts" we'd all have a Merry Christmas

People under-rate Rivers.  The guy is a master at reading the defense,finding the gaps in the zone, and firing the ball out quickly, which is how he was picking us apart.

Rivers was 58.7% in our playoff game vs 68% on the season for good reason - because our D was making it hard on him to do better.

I'm not saying this is where you're going, though the post you're responding to seems that way, but anyone who assumes that Wentz is as good or better than Rivers at the mental aspect of QB play at this point is flying against all the evidence.   Carson Wentz isn't fit to hold Rivers jock in that regard at this point.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't think Wentz is that guy anymore. Reich is taking an absolute put in my opinion on being able to revive him. It isn't impossible but I do think it is unlikely. 

If Wentz is willing to be receptive to better coaching and tone done his extemporaneous game and make quicker decisions there is no reason why he shouldn't return closer to his more successful past. The Colts have a good OL and a good running game. That was exhibited when we played them in the playoffs. He needs to use those assets to his benefit. I'm not comparing Josh to Wentz but what differentiated Josh last year was the quantum leap he made in understanding the game and more quickly responding to the play. Reich is the right coach to get Wentz back on track. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. K said:

My snap reaction... the Eagles just saved themselves from a horrible contract with a underproducing QB. If Reich is able to get something decent out of Wentz I still don't see him playing at the value of the capital. Wentz is having the career arc of Derek Anderson imo.

Wentz is basically Ryan Tannehill leaving Miami and going to Tennessee. I expect Wentz to be very good in Indy. 

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In what way is Wentz better than Rivers? He has better arm strength and more athleticism obviously. Other than that Rivers was a supremely better QB in 2020. Rivers played very well against us making quick decisions and mostly putting the ball where it needed to go. Wentz hasn't been that type of QB in a couple years.

Rivers played well against but that was like his best game of the year. The colts are a top 10 talented offense. Eagles were bottom 10.  The Colts gave up 19 sacks with Rivers who has the mobility of a tree stump. The Eagles allowed 65 sacks with 2 of the most mobile qbs in the league. 

so do I think barring health that Wentz could do better than Rivers 24 td to 11 ints? Hell yeah. I’d wager on it and I don’t really like Wentz that much. I just love the situation for any qb there and Rivers was on his last legs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

good trade for the Colts.  They didn’t give up much.

They took on a massive contract for a guy that was benched last year. I'd say its a good risk/reward deal as they have a solid team. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Rivers played well against but that was like his best game of the year. The colts are a top 10 talented offense. Eagles were bottom 10.  The Colts gave up 19 sacks with Rivers who has the mobility of a tree stump. The Eagles allowed 65 sacks with 2 of the most mobile qbs in the league. 

so do I think barring health that Wentz could do better than Rivers 24 td to 11 ints? Hell yeah. I’d wager on it and I don’t really like Wentz that much. I just love the situation for any qb there and Rivers was on his last legs.

You are correct the OL was a mess in Philadelphia.  

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Wentz is willing to be receptive to better coaching and tone done his extemporaneous game and make quicker decisions there is no reason why he shouldn't return closer to his more successful past. The Colts have a good OL and a good running game. That was exhibited when we played them in the playoffs. He needs to use those assets to his benefit. I'm not comparing Josh to Wentz but what differentiated Josh last year was the quantum leap he made in understanding the game and more quickly responding to the play. Reich is the right coach to get Wentz back on track. 

I completely agree with you. Listening to Ben Solak of the draft dudes (he covers the eagles), he said that Wentz thinks he can do more than he actually can and caused a lot of his own problems. A lot of that was due to his attitude.

That said as you mentioned the guy that can fix him is Reich.

One thing is for sure, if he does fail with his new supporting cast this upcoming year, and it's not impossible, he could be about done. I hope for him he can turn it round. I will always feel bad for him. He must feel like his big moment was taken from him in Philadelphia. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The contract really isn't bad if you believe he's the guy that he was up until this past season, which the Colts obviously do. I'm sure the Colts are looking at it and saying they're getting a good QB at below-market rate.

I agree a 1st and 3rd for Wentz is a pretty good return. At the same time, factoring in the cap penalties, Philly essentially paid $34 million for a 1st and 3rd round pick. Is that a reasonable price? I would say, financially, no. But I get that if they hit on what will likely be a late 1st round pick, it might be worth it in the long run.

But Philly was in the hook for the $34M anyway, and Wentz was never playing another down for them.  This is a great deal for them.

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

carson wentz was sacked 50 times last year

philip rivers was sacked 19 times

wentz is going to play much better

Exactly and the Colts run 55% of the time. All they'll ask Carson to do is be a younger more athletic game manager than Rivers was. He will thrive.

If Wentz can go back to his 2017 form under Reich for the next decade this could be looked at one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history.  Not even a guaranteed first round pick for a guy you had to give up multiple firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd for to trade up and draft.  

I don't know if I've ever seen an organization win a Super Bowl and then become this dysfunctional as fast as they did.  They seemed to do everything possible to set Wentz up to fail.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well they still get a 2nd next year if he doesn't play 75% of the snaps.  

And unless he gets hurt, he will play 75% of the snaps without question.  They have no one else to really challenge him for playing time, and Colts have a stingy defense, good OL, and good run game.  They will not have to lean on Wentz, so as long as he stays on the field healthy he is going to see 75% of the snaps next year.  And if that happens, the 2nd becomes a first.  

So odds are, Eagles got a 3rd this year and 1st next year for an injury prone QB, with a large hard to trade contract, who hasn't looked good since 2017.  

The big questions on Wentz are two fold:  1.  Can he stay healthy?  2.  Who is the real Wentz?  The guy who was an MVP candidate through 13 weeks of the season in 2017, or the guy who has played at a similar level as Mitch Trubisky since?  Eagles OL was a mess, and so were their WR's...so how much did that cause him to regress?

Honestly, Wentz likely would have struggled again in Chicago, but the Colts are literally a best case scenario for him.  Good D to take pressure off the offense, and most importantly a very good OL with some solid weapons to throw to and in the run game.  Big bonus is he has Frank Reich too.  If he can't rebound his career there this year, he will be looking for a backup job in 2022...but if he can, Colts wont miss a beat with Rivers retiring and could even be better if Wentz finds some of that 2017 form.

My personal opinion is I think Wentz is not as good as that short stint suggested in 2017, but also not as bad as hes looked the last 2 years and will be comparable to what Rivers was for them this year.  Feels like a good trade for both sides right now.  

I think if the colts start out 4-8, Wentz goes to the bench. Regardless of who else they have.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

good trade for the Colts.  They didn’t give up much.

Actually - I think for that contract they gave up a bunch.

3rd this year and a high likely hood off a #1 next year.

More than I expected and way more than I would of paid for Wentz. 

Moves the pressure to Chicago to act on the available QBs.

• Like (+1) 1

People talking about “massive” contract are clueless.

its $25mm next year. Same as Rivers.

Teddy bridgewater got $21 mill for crying out loud

$25 mill for a QB is low these days. Josh is going to want and get $40m

the contract was huge 3 years ago, now it’s normal.

• Like (+1) 3