Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

32 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I doubt they let him play that much if he sucks.

Well they still get a 2nd next year if he doesn't play 75% of the snaps.  

And unless he gets hurt, he will play 75% of the snaps without question.  They have no one else to really challenge him for playing time, and Colts have a stingy defense, good OL, and good run game.  They will not have to lean on Wentz, so as long as he stays on the field healthy he is going to see 75% of the snaps next year.  And if that happens, the 2nd becomes a first.  

So odds are, Eagles got a 3rd this year and 1st next year for an injury prone QB, with a large hard to trade contract, who hasn't looked good since 2017.  

The big questions on Wentz are two fold:  1.  Can he stay healthy?  2.  Who is the real Wentz?  The guy who was an MVP candidate through 13 weeks of the season in 2017, or the guy who has played at a similar level as Mitch Trubisky since?  Eagles OL was a mess, and so were their WR's...so how much did that cause him to regress?

Honestly, Wentz likely would have struggled again in Chicago, but the Colts are literally a best case scenario for him.  Good D to take pressure off the offense, and most importantly a very good OL with some solid weapons to throw to and in the run game.  Big bonus is he has Frank Reich too.  If he can't rebound his career there this year, he will be looking for a backup job in 2022...but if he can, Colts wont miss a beat with Rivers retiring and could even be better if Wentz finds some of that 2017 form.

My personal opinion is I think Wentz is not as good as that short stint suggested in 2017, but also not as bad as hes looked the last 2 years and will be comparable to what Rivers was for them this year.  Feels like a good trade for both sides right now.  

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh, no doubt that's true. Wentz had a really good season. Bills fans will cringe, but Josh Allen's 2020 was kind of like Wentz's 2017.

But after a kind of rough finish to the regular season, here's what Foles did in the playoffs:

238 yards passing

346 yards

374 in the Super Bowl in a 41-33 shootout

The Eagles offense peaked with Foles at the helm, and against the best competition. Really unusual for that to happen with a journeyman backup.

1 - that’s why Allen needs to follow up with a great year. It does sound like Wentz wasn’t that popular in the lockerroom and that’s nit the case for Allen. 

2 - foles was amazing in the playoffs but Wentz had better numbers across the board than Foles in the regular season. What Foles did was amazing but Wentz was awesome that year and the Eagles were awesome with him. Can’t really knock him for getting hurt. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would love to see the Jets and Fish hang onto their current QBs. I don’t think they will.

Rivers threw for like 500 yards

Barley 300 and missed many more opportunities that a more athletic QB could have made both in the air and on the ground.

With the formula Indy figured out to shut buffalo down on 3rd down...and the Dominant OLINE of Colts...had 

Rivers not been sub 60% and created a little with his legs.

Indy was on their way to a east 40-45 point road victory that day.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well they still get a 2nd next year if he doesn't play 75% of the snaps.  

And unless he gets hurt, he will play 75% of the snaps without question.  They have no one else to really challenge him for playing time, and Colts have a stingy defense, good OL, and good run game.  They will not have to lean on Wentz, so as long as he stays on the field healthy he is going to see 75% of the snaps next year.  And if that happens, the 2nd becomes a first.  

So odds are, Eagles got a 3rd this year and 1st next year for an injury prone QB, with a large hard to trade contract, who hasn't looked good since 2017.  

The big questions on Wentz are two fold:  1.  Can he stay healthy?  2.  Who is the real Wentz?  The guy who was an MVP candidate through 13 weeks of the season in 2017, or the guy who has played at a similar level as Mitch Trubisky since?  Eagles OL was a mess, and so were their WR's...so how much did that cause him to regress?

Honestly, Wentz likely would have struggled again in Chicago, but the Colts are literally a best case scenario for him.  Good D to take pressure off the offense, and most importantly a very good OL with some solid weapons to throw to and in the run game.  Big bonus is he has Frank Reich too.  If he can't rebound his career there this year, he will be looking for a backup job in 2022...but if he can, Colts wont miss a beat with Rivers retiring and could even be better if Wentz finds some of that 2017 form.

My personal opinion is I think Wentz is not as good as that short stint suggested in 2017, but also not as bad as hes looked the last 2 years and will be comparable to what Rivers was for them this year.  Feels like a good trade for both sides right now.  

Agree with most of this but I definitely think he’s an upgrade over Rivers. They are a SB contender. And Pittman is going to be a problem.  That’s a good team there. 

It's an interesting trade. Not sure why people think a 1st/2nd and 3rd is a small return for Wentz after the year he had this year. Seems like it's actually kind of a lot.

If this past season proves to be an outlier and Wentz can return to his normal caliber of play with a significantly better supporting cast around him, Wentz might prove to be an upgrade from Rivers. If last year's level of play is his new norm, then it's a significant downgrade. This Colts team with the Wentz of old would be very scary, especially if they continue to upgrade their receiving corps.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's an interesting trade. Not sure why people think a 1st/2nd and 3rd is a small return for Wentz after the year he had this year. Seems like it's actually kind of a lot.

If this past season proves to be an outlier and Wentz can return to his normal caliber of play with a significantly better supporting cast around him, Wentz might prove to be an upgrade from Rivers. If last year's level of play is his new norm, then it's a significant downgrade. This Colts team with the Wentz of old would be very scary, especially if they continue to upgrade their receiving corps.

I think it’s way too much especially considering his contract and the fact they were bidding against themselves 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

You think after his franchise record setting rookie season, and then the 11-2 run in 2017 before going down with injury, the fans of Philly thought they had their next franchise QB?

I do! 

And he just got kicked to the curb for almost nothing in return.

Nothing is guaranteed in this league! 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's a great return for the Eagles.  He was never going to play another down for them and I can't believe there were any other serious suitors, especially with that contract.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Wentz must be incredibly happy,

by this standard Darnold is not fetching a first...

The Colts do take on $25M of 2021 cap

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/carson-wentz-18950/cash-earnings/

I think what drove the price down for the Colts is 1) that Wentz is a major reclamation project AND 2) an expensive one

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

For those wondering why Indy had to give up so little look no further than the contract they have to inherit with Wentz. He signed an extension that kicks in this year for $128 million, with $70 million guaranteed.

He will count 35 million this year against Indy’s cap. That could really handcuff them if he blows up in their faces.

I'm not sure that's correct.  I think the Eagles still eat his signing bonus.

(Was your post supposed to be a link?  I couldn't make it work if so)

6 minutes ago, eball said:

This deal has Frank Reich saying "I can fix him" written all over it.  Unfortunately Frank forgot that he won the Super Bowl with Foles.

Somehow, I doubt that Reich forgot any such thing

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s way too much especially considering his contract and the fact they were bidding against themselves 

You don't buy the Chicago interest?

6 minutes ago, eball said:

This deal has Frank Reich saying "I can fix him" written all over it.  Unfortunately Frank forgot that he won the Super Bowl with Foles.

Wentz will be given an ultimatum by Coach Reich..."you either work with me, or we bring in Adam Gase."

Doesn't Gase look like he could be Reich's younger (and crazier) brother?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But is he better than Rivers and going to play behind maybe the best o line in the nfl with much better weapons than he had in Philly? Yup.

In what way is Wentz better than Rivers? He has better arm strength and more athleticism obviously. Other than that Rivers was a supremely better QB in 2020. Rivers played very well against us making quick decisions and mostly putting the ball where it needed to go. Wentz hasn't been that type of QB in a couple years.

My snap reaction... the Eagles just saved themselves from a horrible contract with a underproducing QB. If Reich is able to get something decent out of Wentz I still don't see him playing at the value of the capital. Wentz is having the career arc of Derek Anderson imo.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's a great return for the Eagles.  He was never going to play another down for them and I can't believe there were any other serious suitors, especially with that contract.

The contract really isn't bad if you believe he's the guy that he was up until this past season, which the Colts obviously do. I'm sure the Colts are looking at it and saying they're getting a good QB at below-market rate.

I agree a 1st and 3rd for Wentz is a pretty good return. At the same time, factoring in the cap penalties, Philly essentially paid $34 million for a 1st and 3rd round pick. Is that a reasonable price? I would say, financially, no. But I get that if they hit on what will likely be a late 1st round pick, it might be worth it in the long run.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I think this move tells me the Jets may be set with Sam Darnold because, even though I know more QB's are available, I thought Darnold had Colts written all over him. In fact, I'd rather have Darnold than Wentz.

You might, but Frank Reich obviously differs

Reich was OC with Eagles when they made the call to draft Wentz.  I think it's fair to say Wentz is a pretty open book to Reich.

• Agree 1