Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

It’s probably the best chance a QB can get to revive his career, the Colts have the best O-Line in the NFL and I’m sure they will add more weapons. It’s hard to evaluate Wentz but that could be due to lack of weapons and O-Line just falling apart. The Colts are going to be very hard to beat next year if Wentz can get out of the toilet.

Darnold or Wentz is among one of the worst debates on here. Both have been ruined by their organizations and both won’t ever fulfill whatever predraft expectations they had.  Besides, how many failed QBs have actually turned it around with an another organization after being traded? I can’t think of any. 

57 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think this move tells me the Jets may be set with Sam Darnold because, even though I know more QB's are available, I thought Darnold had Colts written all over him. In fact, I'd rather have Darnold than Wentz.

I think Reich went with the player he knew.  They’re comparable in overall potential IMO (though to be clear I don’t really like either) so that makes sense to me. 

Wentz went from completely overrated, to underrated, to now completely trashed. I don’t think he is some top 5 qb like some were saying early in his career. But is he better than Rivers and going to play behind maybe the best o line in the nfl with much better weapons than he had in Philly? Yup. The Colts are going to be really tough again.

and Philly did the best they could on a dude who’s value completely plummeted this year. Good trade for both teams. 

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

It's a bit overdone, but it bears repeating at least one more time: Sam Darnold is still 23 years old.

And in one of the worst situations of any qb in the nfl. He needs to cut out the turnovers though. 

4 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Darnold or Wentz is among one of the worst debates on here. Both have been ruined by their organizations and both won’t ever fulfill whatever predraft expectations they had.  Besides, how many failed QBs have actually turned it around with an another organization after being traded? I can’t think of any. 

Alex Smith. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wentz went from completely overrated, to underrated, to now completely trashed. I don’t think he is some top 5 qb like some were saying early in his career. But is he better than Rivers and going to play behind maybe the best o line in the nfl with much better weapons than he had in Philly? Yup. The Colts are going to be really tough again.

and Philly did the best they could on a dude who’s value completely plummeted this year. Good trade for both teams. 

And in one of the worst situations of any qb in the nfl. He needs to cut out the turnovers though. 

The thing that kind of sticks with me about Wentz is this: that Eagles SB team was better with Nick Foles at QB.

I kind of like to do the "with or without you" thing when evaluating a QB. When your backup - over a reasonable sample size - actually plays better than you did, well, what can you say about your value as a starter?

4 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

historically off the top of my head? Steve Young and Brett Favre.  I dont think Darnold or Wentz are either of those guys, but it happens. I'd have to go through a wikipedia list to find some more modern examples, but they absolutely exist. also, the QB talent has been extremely lacking over the last decade as empasized by the stat @Logic posted earlier in the thread, so bad sample group.

I dont think any of us in that debate are expecting these guys to become elite franchise guys, but they can be serviceable starters, and are young enough to turn it around. And it can happen.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I can agree there. I dont think Darnold is completely finished or beyond repair either.

I would love to see the Jets and Fish hang onto their current QBs. I don’t think they will.

20 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Colts are ready to roll.

Competent QB play and in Bills Wild Card Game and they would have post 40+ on Bills Defense that day.

They are ready to give KC a run.

Rivers threw for like 500 yards

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

historically off the top of my head? Steve Young and Brett Favre.  I dont think Darnold or Wentz are either of those guys, but it happens. I'd have to go through a wikipedia list to find some more modern examples, but they absolutely exist. also, the QB talent has been extremely lacking over the last decade as empasized by the stat @Logic posted earlier in the thread, so bad sample group.

I dont think any of us in that debate are expecting these guys to become elite franchise guys, but they can be serviceable starters, and are young enough to turn it around. And it can happen.

And those would be in the category of pretty good examples, wouldn't they ...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The thing that kind of sticks with me about Wentz is this: that Eagles SB team was better with Nick Foles at QB.

I kind of like to do the "with or without you" thing when evaluating a QB. When your backup - over a reasonable sample size - actually plays better than you did, well, what can you say about your value as a starter?

See that’s nit really true. They were 11-2 when Wentz got hurt and he was a MVP candidate.  I think people overlook that. I do think once Foles won the SB, it was really hard for Wentz to win over that lockerroom. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean what was Farve before GB? Again to say that they will be Farve (who is losing his mind now) is crazy. But both of them were much more proven than Farve at this point.  

I think young was kinda like Darnold in which people thought he was talented but just in an awful situation.  But good examples. And I don’t think he’s Great but you could say Tannehill too. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow that’s a bad divorce right there 

Don’t get married if you’re rich. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

See that’s nit really true. They were 11-2 when Wentz got hurt and he was a MVP candidate.  I think people overlook that. I do think once Foles won the SB, it was really hard for Wentz to win over that lockerroom. 

Oh, no doubt that's true. Wentz had a really good season. Bills fans will cringe, but Josh Allen's 2020 was kind of like Wentz's 2017.

But after a kind of rough finish to the regular season, here's what Foles did in the playoffs:

238 yards passing

346 yards

374 in the Super Bowl in a 41-33 shootout

The Eagles offense peaked with Foles at the helm, and against the best competition. Really unusual for that to happen with a journeyman backup.

This seems like a good deal for both sides.  Wentz was done in Philly and has a huge salary and cap hit.  While Philly didn't get that much in compensation, they unload the contract and disgruntled player and got a couple of Day 2 picks in return.  For the Colts, they didn't give up that much and got a guy who has the potential to be a franchise QB (again).  In exchange, they take on the bloated contract and risk that Wentz is done.  If Wentz gets back to the form of a couple of years ago (the SB season prior to the injury), the Colts will be scary good.