Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

Wentz must be incredibly happy,

by this standard Darnold is not fetching a first...

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Between 2009 and 2016, 22 quarterbacks were drafted in the first round. 

ZERO of them remain with the team that drafted them. Zero.

The draft is a crapshoot. Glad we seem to have gotten it right with Allen.

That is a shocking statistic really. 

• Like (+1) 1

good trade for Colts, they gave a modest return, they have the cap to fit and the Reich and Wentz combo seems comfortable and productive. 

Colts have a better O-LINE and overall O so it makes a lot of sense plus Philly got him out of the NFC away from the Bears who needed to overpay to get Wentz and likely passed on the deal.

Eagles still hit with a 33M dead cap in 2021 and maybe some more in 2022...they are still in cap jail..

Reich and Wentz sounds like a German Law Firm...

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Wentz must be incredibly happy,

by this standard Darnold is not fetching a first...

I disagree. Darnold doesn't carry that huge contract with him. I could easily see a team like the Broncos (assuming they can't pry Watson away) effectively trading down in the 1st round to give the Jets something like the 25th to 32nd overall for him. 

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think Wentz sucks personally.  Can't read a def.

He was literally the worst starting QB in the league last year.  I think the Colts got fleeced, but Reich must think he can turn him around...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Darnold is on a rookie contract, where Wentz carries a 25M cap hit.

The compensation isnt based solely on perceived talent.

Even when considering the Gase factor, Sam at present is closer to being some other teams back up than  being their starter, jmo.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Between 2009 and 2016, 22 quarterbacks were drafted in the first round. 

ZERO of them remain with the team that drafted them. Zero.

The draft is a crapshoot. Glad we seem to have gotten it right with Allen.

Amazing. I think in retrospect those will be viewed as the years of the great QB drought. Colt McCoy is the only QB taken in the 2010 draft who is still playing, and barely at that.

• Like (+1) 1

For those wondering why Indy had to give up so little look no further than the contract they have to inherit with Wentz. He signed an extension that kicks in this year for $128 million, with $70 million guaranteed.

He will count 35 million this year against Indy’s cap. That could really handcuff them if he blows up in their faces.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol that’s nothing. 

I think Wentz could be toast, but is there a third round pick QB that has a better chance of being good? I don’t think so.

It also includes a 2nd next year that turns Into a first of We to plays 75% of the snaps next year.  So it’s more than just a 3rd and that’s a pretty good return considering how bad the risks are with his contract and injury history, not to mention how poorly he’s played pretty much every game since he got hurt during his one good season.