Carson Wentz to the Colts

Brennan Huff

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Give any qb time and they look really good, but Wentz just went from a horrid o line to an elite one. Early comeback player of the year candidate IMO

You still have to be able to read a defense and get the ball out. They were much more of an issue for Wentz than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 2

Phillip Rivers was the #10 QB in 2020.

12 games, Wentz was #26 with a completion % 57.4 percentage.

437 attempts, 2437 yards 16 TD, 15 INTs. 

Somebody will need to be a magician to get Wentz to look like a franchise QB again... 

Edited by Nihilarian

8 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think this move tells me the Jets may be set with Sam Darnold because, even though I know more QB's are available, I thought Darnold had Colts written all over him. In fact, I'd rather have Darnold than Wentz.

This has nothing to do with Darnold or what the Jets think about him.  Reich clearly wanted to reunite with his old QB and doesn't think that he's done yet

Just now, bills6969 said:

Wow,  philly must’ve not had that many offers for him.

Kind of weird too, because it sounded like the Bears were going to trade half of their team for him. The Bears are running out of time to get thei QB. Nagy is toast without an upgrade at QB. I could see Fitzpatrick signing with the Bears...

6 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

I know most will disagree but Colts will surprise a lot of people offensively.  Reich knows what he has in Wentz, and he also knows how the get the most out of him.  

Scary team

Wentz is not the same guy Reich coached in 2017. If anyone can do it Frank can, but I think Wentz is too far gone. His mechanics and fundamentals were the worst I saw of anyone who played Quarterback in the NFL last year. They were brutal. I just don't know if that is rescuable. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same. They were two of the worst 5 starters in the league in 2020 but Wentz looks by far the more fundamentally broken to me. He has the equivalent of a golfer with the yips. Maybe a change of scenery and a reunion with Reich can revive him, but honestly, I'm sceptical. Here is one of my bold predictions for next season very early.... by Thanksgiving Wentz is not the starter.  

Here is mine. Colts go 12-4 next year and win their Division.

Definitely worth a flyer for the Colts. If he continues to be horrible, there's an out, albeit with a huge dead cap hit, after 2021. There's a decent chance he'll turn it around and will be better than any other realistic option (I'll assume that Watson and Wilson are not realistic). 

Looking back on his success, I'm starting to think of him in the same category as Kaepernick. Kind of a one-trick pony who was able to make things work, and work very well, until defenses and eroded offensive talent allowed the league to catch up to him. If he has another trick in him I trust Reich to bring it out. There's really no better landing place for a veteran QB given their coaching and O line. Good luck to him, straight up until we meet him in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think this move tells me the Jets may be set with Sam Darnold because, even though I know more QB's are available, I thought Darnold had Colts written all over him. In fact, I'd rather have Darnold than Wentz.

I think Wentz was the more logical fit for Indy because of his ties to Reich. 

Darnold could still end up in Washington, Chicago or even Carolina. He could also end up in Houston but I think DeShaun ultimately ends up in SF or Carolina. 

10 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Phillip Rivers was the #10 QB in 2020.

12 games, Wentz was #26 with a completion % 57.4 percentage.

437 attempts, 2437 yards 16 TD, 15 INTs. 

Somebody will need to be a magician to get Wentz to look like a franchise QB again... 

What was Rivers 2019?

Wentz is a solid QB with upside. He's got work to do to be considered a top starting QB again but the potential is there in that situation. 

So it seems like pretty much everyone thinks the Colts got the better of this deal. Which probably means Wentz will flame out. I’m not sure he’s better than 2020 Rivers. But on the other hand, he’s walking into a comfortable and familiar situation so who knows? Regardless, the Iggles get a 3rd and at least a 2nd for somebody they didn’t want to keep. 

• Like (+1) 1