Cap will be no less than 180 million

BillsMafi$

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea... I expect one of Butler/Jefferson gone and Addison gone.... as well as John Brown. 

I could see this happening.

I think Jefferson could stay over Butler.

With the pursuit of a better pass rusher, Addison will definitely be gone.

John Brown could get the axe, unless he takes a pay cut.

The NFL has informed teams that the 2021 salary cap will be no lower than $180 million, a slight increase from last year's previous agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30923265/nfl-increases-2021-salary-cap-minimum-180-million

The final 2021 cap figure, the memo says, "will be set following review of the final 2020 revenue figure and other audit and accounting adjustments." The new league year and free agency are scheduled to begin March 17.

Sources familiar with the negotiations told ESPN that the final number is likely to be between $180 million and $185 million, though almost certainly on the lower end of that range.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

The league and the owners can easily afford to at least have a flat cap for the 2021 season without taking a major/measurable loss. They are just taking money out of the players pockets and putting it in their own. Lowering the cap is not a move required to "keep the lights on". 

I wouldn't want to deviate from the contract.  The players expect it, why not the owners.

I've heard a lot of smart people opine that it'll fall in the $187-$188M range.

Helps us, but also helps the other 31 teams.  I actually think there's leverage to get a good deal done with a cut FA now while the cap looks like it might be 180, rather than 188.  

from what I gather the league is borrowing some money from future year caps to take the pressure off this seasons....still a significant drop and you know all pre-pandemic planning-extensions were based on the cap going up-up-up...the 17 game season, new TV contracts will likely jolt it, as well as attendance which was 2.1M down from 17M...hoping they keep the extra wild-card team and game per conference as done last season as well...

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I could see this happening.

I think Jefferson could stay over Butler.

With the pursuit of a better pass rusher, Addison will definitely be gone.

John Brown could get the axe, unless he takes a pay cut.

I think Butler and Jefferson are definitely gone. I think Addison stays on a contract restructure. John Brown am unsure about as know he's liked by Josh and be a shame to lose him but he can't stay at $9.6 against the cap as the 3rd WR. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Butler and Jefferson are definitely gone. I think Addison stays on a contract restructure. John Brown am unsure about as know he's liked by Josh and be a shame to lose him but he can't stay at $9.6 against the cap as the 3rd WR. 

If they keep Addison, he would have to take a pay cut.

I believe it was $198M cap this year, and it was believed this year was going to be around $215M(before Covid hit) in '21.....so you're talking about $30-$35M gone for teams budget. 

Going to see a ton of quality vets released, just think of how many we are about to release.  As much as JJ Watt excites me, this might be the year to be really disciplined with your available FA dollars.  Guys like Vernon Butler, Quinton Jefferson & Mario Addison who all got close to $10M AAV last yr in FA might be lucky to get 60% of that value in FA this yr., IMO.

BTW last year we handed out $14M in cash to Addison, $8.5M in cash to Jefferson & $8.37M in cash to Butler.  Nearly $31M that's pretty gross, compared to the production we got out of them.  Couple that with the $7M we blew by keeping Trent Murphy on the roster and you start to realize we floundered a ton of cap space on some really bad moves in yhr '20 offseason.  

Hoping this years FA period is much more fruitful.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The NFL has informed teams that the 2021 salary cap will be no lower than $180 million, a slight increase from last year's previous agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30923265/nfl-increases-2021-salary-cap-minimum-180-million

The final 2021 cap figure, the memo says, "

@Hapless Bills Fan

this might answer you shout from the box 

Or not shrug 🤷 

17 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

@Hapless Bills Fan

this might answer you shout from the box 

Or not shrug 🤷 

Doesn't seem like it does.  I wanted to know when the actual cap would be announced.

The link says:

The final 2021 cap figure, the memo says, "will be set following review of the final 2020 revenue figure and other audit and accounting adjustments." The new league year and free agency are scheduled to begin March 17.

That doesn't explain: WHEN are they going to complete their review, audit, and accounting  adjustments?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mango said:

The league and the owners can easily afford to at least have a flat cap for the 2021 season without taking a major/measurable loss. They are just taking money out of the players pockets and putting it in their own. Lowering the cap is not a move required to "keep the lights on". 

Like it or not the NFL is a business and businesses have to make money. Could they take a loss this year? Sure, but why would they when they don't have to.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

...hoping they keep the extra wild-card team and game per conference as done last season as well...

Not me. I don't want to be ****ed out of a 1st round bye again if we end up the #2 seed. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

NFL will have no problem rebounding.. If this is the minimum, I expect the number they settle on to be much higher than this.

Nothing wrong with expectations.

Don't bet the rent, though. Hell, don't be the lunch money.

Hopefully if the vaccines come out on time in huge numbers and if we can get people to take the vaccines, and if there are no major mutations that the vaccines won't work against, they might have full stadiums next year. Equally, though, they might not.

All we have is guesswork.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Sure, it's not required to keep the lights on. 

But that's not their only goal.  They've got a ton of other things they want to accomplish, and keeping it low will help them accomplish several of those. Putting this whole problem in the rear view mirror as soon as possible, for instance. If they keep it low this year, they won't have to borrow as much from next year or other future years. Keeping expenses down in a bad year - just generally - is not a bad idea.

It's a complex question. With both the union and the owners having an iron in the fire. Earlier Schefter said that he'd heard many at the league say they wanted it at $180 or $181M. What we're hearing now fits right in with that. That's still my best guess, though all any of us have is guesses.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3