Bucky Brooks top 5 by position draft prospects

Punching Bag

1 minute ago, 947 said:

The guy supposedly declined to weigh-in at the Senior Bowl because he weighs 162. If true, that's at least 20lbs underweight. If he's been unable to add weight in 4 years at the best program in college football, he's definitely gonna struggle to do it in the NFL. Assuming he does a Maybin & bulks up for the combine, his speed & agility will definitely be affected, and that's what got where he is.

I'd definitely take Chase or Waddle over him, they're much closer to sure things.

Do WRs really need bulk?  Randy Moss would beg to differ.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Is that where Bucky went to school? I do love those two running backs. I might even have Carter ahead of Williams I would have to check. I gave them both very similar grades. 

I think Williams will improve as a pro if he gets on the right team. He’s a patient runner who didn’t play RB until his senior year of HS. However, I think his running style will lead to a shorter career. He’s a guy that will maximize the run blocking of a good line, but isn’t creative enough athletically to overcome atrocious line play. IMO he’s the best back in the draft at pressing the line and testing holes. It’s a joy watching the guy freeze pursuit before he get to the LOS. 

Carter’s going to produce, but I’m not sure if he’s better. Faster, more agile, more fluid athlete than Williams for sure... but he doesn’t have the mass and patience that JW has, and he doesn’t press the LOS as effectively. 

I love both these guys, and I’d love Beane to get either one. Although, I’m not sure I’d be jumping and clapping if that 1st round pick was spent on Williams due to positional value. Carter seems much more likely to me, and that’d be great as he’s about the closest RB in this draft to Aaron Jones. 

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

I think Williams will improve as a pro if he gets on the right team. He’s a patient runner who didn’t play RB until his senior year of HS. However, I think his running style will lead to a shorter career. He’s a guy that will maximize the run blocking of a good line, but isn’t creative enough athletically to overcome atrocious line play. IMO he’s the best back in the draft at pressing the line and testing holes. It’s a joy watching the guy freeze pursuit before he get to the LOS. 

Carter’s going to produce, but I’m not sure if he’s better. Faster, more agile, more fluid athlete than Williams for sure... but he doesn’t have the mass and patience that JW has, and he doesn’t press the LOS as effectively. 

I love both these guys, and I’d love Beane to get either one. Although, I’m not sure I’d be jumping and clapping if that 1st round pick was spent on Williams due to positional value. Carter seems much more likely to me, and that’d be great as he’s about the closest RB in this draft to Aaron Jones. 

Yea I an not advocating the Bills pick either, especially not in the 1st, but love both players.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

DeVonta the #3 WR?  If this dudes available in the 20’s I’m trading up for him and letting Brown walk.  He might be the best WR to come out of the draft since Julio.  Needs to add some weight and I don’t see that being a huge issue.  

That jumped right off the screen at me too.

I think he's going to go top 5 overall!  If he starts to fall and there is ANY way to ***** him, I would try to do it.

I *hate* trading up but I might make a limited exception for him, as long as we didn't go too crazy in the move up.

• Like (+1) 1

4 things I would Change....

I think WR, Elijah Moore Ole Miss is the 4th rated WR in this draft. Toney is super over rated!!!

Also I feel Chazz Surratt is a OLB not ILB.

Zaven Collins I feel will possible play ILB, possibly OLB in 3-4 scheme.

As far as running back, I'd put Jermar Jefferson RB Oregon St #5 RB. (some may disagree but potential, lets wait on it)

6 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Can't pass on Darrisaw or Trey Smith at 30.  Please be there. 

I can't see either there.  If not them, OG Davis from Ohio State?  

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I haven't dove nearly as into the draft this year as usual, but I will say the clips floating around of Jaelan Phillips the past couple days have me swooning a bit for him as a pass rush prospect. Still hoping we address the line in free agency first so that we aren't leaning on a raw rookie, but he seems to have some serious gifts.

yeah he does.  It just seems DE's take 1-3 years to fully develop, with the rare exception.  I think we need FA pass rush help and draft at a more plug and play position (OL, DT, LB, RB), but I won't be upset with an Edge pick like Phillips either.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I haven't dove nearly as into the draft this year as usual, but I will say the clips floating around of Jaelan Phillips the past couple days have me swooning a bit for him as a pass rush prospect. Still hoping we address the line in free agency first so that we aren't leaning on a raw rookie, but he seems to have some serious gifts.

1) He almost quit football due to concussion issues at UCLA.

2) Check out the tape against UNC.

Those two items should cure the swoon.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Additionally it is one year of production and in a scheme where Rousseau dominated last year as well. So how much of it is really him being great I am not sure. I was kind of against him for concussion / production / favourable scheme reasons without really watching him but then when I saw the highlight video I was intrigued. I will note the UNC tape down to get to when I do my deep dive though. I am hoping to be able to make a start on dline this weekend. 

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ah, concussion issues is definitely not great haha.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Additionally it is one year of production and in a scheme where Rousseau dominated last year as well. So how much of it is really him being great I am not sure. I was kind of against him for concussion / production / favourable scheme reasons without really watching him but then when I saw the highlight video I was intrigued. I will note the UNC tape down to get to when I do my deep dive though. I am hoping to be able to make a start on dline this weekend. 

He's athletically gifted but I was shocked to see him listed as a potential mid-first round prospect.   I'd put him in that Cameron Wake category in that I think the best way to get production from Phillips is to have a carrot dangled in front of him......and a first round contract might just extinguish his desire to fight thru early struggles and injuries and become a good NFL DE.   Rousseau is more gifted but he is very inexperienced.   He went from a nobody transitioning to the DL to considered as a potential #1 overall in 2021 in the span of about 3-4 months in that 2020 season so the personality evaluation is going to be big with him as well.   Opting out was understandable but it raises the question of how bad he wants to be a great football player because he needed those reps to help transition to the NFL.     

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's athletically gifted but I was shocked to see him listed as a potential mid-first round prospect.   I'd put him in that Cameron Wake category in that I think the best way to get production from Phillips is to have a carrot dangled in front of him......and a first round contract might just extinguish his desire to fight thru early struggles and injuries and become a good NFL DE.   Rousseau is more gifted but he is very inexperienced.   He went from a nobody transitioning to the DL to considered as a potential #1 overall in 2021 in the span of about 3-4 months in that 2020 season so the personality evaluation is going to be big with him as well.   Opting out was understandable but it raises the question of how bad he wants to be a great football player because he needed those reps to help transition to the NFL.     

Yea I have done a bit more work on Rousseau and he is gifted but I don't know if he has a plan to get to the Quarterback. He has great length and is a superior athlete at the college level but his game needs refinement IMO. I see a bit of Leonard Floyd, a guy with length and some burst but when a tackle is able to stay with that..... well not really much else. He is, as you say, new to the position but I think if he'd come back and played in 2020 and shown a development in some of his technique and his actual pass rush moves then he'd be a slam dunk top 10 pick. He will go round 1, he might even be the first EDGE off the board, but I don't know based on what I have done thus far whether I think he is a true 1st grade wise. High ceiling. Low floor. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/18/2021 at 8:57 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve looked at a few mock drafts and am always suspect of ones showing the Bills taking the third or fourth best guy at any position. So the one that intrigues me is Collins, the OLB from Tulsa. He’s routinely listed as the top prospect at his position and is definitely an open roster spot for the Bills. I didn’t see a single Tulsa game this year, but I tend to like these players who stand out in lesser conferences. They often have a prove it attitude. 

I like him too. He has Shaq Barrett like potential and he’s better than most people think in coverage. Some view him as a tweener in this defense with no real position but I think they’re wrong. Probably my second favorite option for us with that first pick.

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I like him too. He has Shaq Barrett like potential and he’s better than most people think in coverage. Some view him as a tweener in this defense with no real position but I think they’re wrong. Probably my second favorite option for us with that first pick.

I don't necessarily think he is a tweener in this defense but I do think his best fit is OLB in a 3-4. I think if the Bills draft Collins they should start him as a D End. I don't think he is Milano. He can't run side to side and stick with a guy in coverage. He can drop out into shallow zones where his eyes remain in front on the QB but he isn't a true coverage player. That said he has huge potential and is a great athlete. I would prefer Collins to your #1 choice put it that way. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't necessarily think he is a tweener in this defense but I do think his best fit is OLB in a 3-4. I think if the Bills draft Collins they should start him as a D End. I don't think he is Milano. He can't run side to side and stick with a guy in coverage. He can drop out into shallow zones where his eyes remain in front on the QB but he isn't a true coverage player. That said he has huge potential and is a great athlete. I would prefer Collins to your #1 choice put it that way. 

How many teams even run the 3-4 these days anyways? Regardless he had 4 interceptions last year. Makes more sense for him to drop 5-10lbs than gain 10-15. I don’t think he has the bend to be a pure DE, but he has pretty decent quickness and awareness to do well in zone. He has great power, so I think if you do blitz him and he has a few steps to accelerate he could easily bulldoze linemen and get by them with sheer power.

Obviously I’m not shy when it comes to Boogie, he is my best case scenario as I think he will be the best EDGE in the draft but Zaven Collins is my second guy right behind him.. Think Collins will be a very good OLB in the NFL, much better than Milano. Both players are projected to go within that same range.. Late 1st, early to mid 2nd. Boogie is more of a pure pass rusher and I put emphasis on that position but if Boogie is gone, I want Zaven Collins.

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How many teams even run the 3-4 these days anyways? Regardless he had 4 interceptions last year. Makes more sense for him to drop 5-10lbs than gain 10-15. I don’t think he has the bend to be a pure DE, but he has pretty decent quickness and awareness to do well in zone. He has great power, so I think if you do blitz him and he has a few steps to accelerate he could easily bulldoze linemen and get by them with sheer power.

Obviously I’m not shy when it comes to Boogie, he is my best case scenario as I think he will be the best EDGE in the draft but Zaven Collins is my second guy right behind him.. Think Collins will be a very good OLB in the NFL, much better than Milano. Both players are projected to go within that same range.. Late 1st, early to mid 2nd. Boogie is more of a pure pass rusher and I put emphasis on that position but if Boogie is gone, I want Zaven Collins.

3-4 base teams.... Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Jacksonville*, LAC*, Miami, Denver, LAR, Arizona, Green Bay, Chicago, Atlanta*, Tampa Bay, NYG, 

*marks teams moving to a 3-4 in 2021 under new staffs. 

Collins is a talented player. But he isn't the same type of player as Matt Milano. If the Bills used him as a linebacker they'd need to go with fewer 4-2-5 sets IMO and more 3 linebacker sets and use him the way they used 'Zo in his later years as a strongside guy who played mainly attacking the line of scrimmage. Personally I think in the Bills system his best fit is as the strong side defensive end playing a 7 tech. He isn't so odd of a fit in a 4-3 that he'd be off my board, but I think he will almost certainly be higher on the boards of 3-4 teams than he will be 4-3 ones. 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:33 AM, Weatherman said:

Do WRs really need bulk?  Randy Moss would beg to differ.  

We had this WR.....the name escapes me....that was pretty much not coverarable but would get bounced on the turf every time he was tackled....Roscoe?

It would not shock me if the bills were looking for that talented "big nickle" in this draft high

Its Naji Harris for me......give me a bell cow back