Crystal Beach

T&C

There was some talk of it in 4 kidd 4's thread but I didn't want to spam his Aud thread. I'm guessing that a bunch here have a lot of memories of the place as do I. The Cyclone was ahead of my time and it looks a little brutal lol. Nice to see some Bills and Sabres gear in this one... I watched it around an hour ago and my eyes did get moist, these days are no longer with us and man o man was it ever exciting. The first 3 words of the actual video say it all... enjoy:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Awesome! As I said in the other thread, I had no idea there even was a boat! We never went for a day, we went for a summer! Need a car then, especially if dad had to drive back in to work. 

I was mesmerized watching the video and my wife was in the room. She spent her early summers going to the mountains outside of Beirut, Lebanon. Not quite the same, but we grew up with memories! 

I remember the road down to the park, and the places to buy ice cream and the bakery along the way. If I went the other direction they had a stand that would sell terrorist grade fireworks to 7 year olds. YAY! 

Amazing memories!  

I remember 2 primary things about Crystal Beach: the homemade cinnamon suckers and riding the Comet.

The Comet had an advantage over more modern roller coasters in that it was made out of wood, and it felt like it was falling apart every time I rode on it.  It had a raw element of fear going for it that the slick modern steel coasters couldn't match! 

The thing really shook and vibrated as you went along the tracks. 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Awesome! As I said in the other thread, I had no idea there even was a boat! We never went for a day, we went for a summer! Need a car then, especially if dad had to drive back in to work. 

I was mesmerized watching the video and my wife was in the room. She spent her early summers going to the mountains outside of Beirut, Lebanon. Not quite the same, but we grew up with memories! 

I remember the road down to the park, and the places to buy ice cream and the bakery along the way. If I went the other direction they had a stand that would sell terrorist grade fireworks to 7 year olds. YAY! 

Amazing memories!  

As their ad used to say; "It's a long swim, but a short drive, to Crystal Beach!"

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

If I went the other direction they had a stand that would sell terrorist grade fireworks to 7 year olds. YAY! 

Amazing memories!  

Although they have long since been repurposed, those fireworks stands still exist.  Ontario, however, no longer allows most explosive type (firecracker) devices.

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I remember 2 primary things about Crystal Beach: the homemade cinnamon suckers and riding the Comet.

The Comet had an advantage over more modern roller coasters in that it was made out of wood, and it felt like it was falling apart every time I rode on it.  It had a raw element of fear going for it that the slick modern steel coasters couldn't match! 

The thing really shook and vibrated as you went along the tracks. 

And the comet had that one thin metal bar across your lap to hold you in.

Two friends and I went to Crystal Beach on the last day it was open.  The line for the Comet was immense — to ride facing forward.  No waiting for facing backward.  We rode it backward, twice.  I’ll never forget those two rides, had to hold on for dear life.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Crystal Beach was our local version of Disneyland in the 60’s. But I spent most weekends at Glen Park in Williamsville playing Skee-ball for a nickel.

I used to love Glen Park when I was a pee wee... then was big enough to go to Crystal Beach and Fantasy Island so I think the trips there got cut off. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.