Colin Cowherd's QB Dominoes for the 2021 Off-Season

chongli

4 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Not sure they saw Hurts as an immediate replacement but Wentz did himself no favors this past year. I may be in the minority, but I think he's got 

some good football left in him, especially behind a solid OL. 

Maybe not immediate, but with the way it has been going in the NFL, sooner rather than later. 

And whether he's got good football left is the million dollar question.  Are you trading away picks and giving him a decent salary to find out?  And even with a decent OL in Philly, he still got hurt.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Maybe not immediate, but with the way it has been going in the NFL, sooner rather than later. 

And whether he's got good football left is the million dollar question.  Are you trading away picks and giving him a decent salary to find out?  And even with a decent OL in Philly, he still got hurt.

If I'm Chris Ballard - maybe if I can get him for a couple of 2nds the closer I get to roster bonus day. I'd be concerned about the past injuries, but I'm sure any deal would include him passing a comprehensive physical. I'm also giving proper weight to the 2020 season based on OL and RB/WR injuries. Wentz was sacked 50 times in 13 games in 2020. Is that gonna happen with the Colts OL ? Not likely - biggest question is whether Wentz is the best option available. 

Edited by Roy Hobbs

10 hours ago, chongli said:

Maybe, but they still have one of the best defenses with all their opt-outs returning. You can't just throw that away. Plus Belichick is too old to do a rebuild. He needs to win now to cement his legacy before retiring. If they were going to take their lumps, this was the year to do it. And he is too arrogant; he thinks he can win with what he has and still outsmart the other AFC East teams.

First nice thread Chongli.  Regarding the Pats, I see the point.  BB is 69 and most likely has no interest in a complete rebuild.    As far as Darnold, he would have for first time a good line, weapons and a balanced team with a solid defense.  If he doesn’t produce there, he’s a permanent backup.  Chicago would be making a desperate move and that will fail.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not saying much :D

Yeah, of all the possible QB moves out there, New England landing Mariota is a good thing for the Bills.

Pats* should just blow it up and start over. There isn't much to build with on that roster. Reminds me a lot of the drought era Bills. Defense is decent. but thats a 7-9 record every year

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Pats* should just blow it up and start over. There isn't much to build with on that roster. Reminds me a lot of the drought era Bills. Defense is decent. but thats a 7-9 record every year

I dont know. Pats had a lot of Defensive stars sit out last year. They will take a big step up this year by getting their starters back and go from a decent defense to a very good one again. If they can get some semblance of an Offense together, they are definitely making a wild card, and probably giving us a run for the Division.

Theyre going to have to wait for Belichick to retire before convincing anyone to blow it up. He doesnt want to drift through a 4-12 season. Or have that be the last thing folks remember about him (that they absolutely fell apart without Brady). Make the next guy do it.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont know. Pats had a lot of Defensive stars sit out last year. They will take a big step up this year by getting their starters back and go from a decent defense to a very good one again. If they can get some semblance of an Offense together, they are definitely making a wild card, and probably giving us a run for the Division.

Theyre going to have to wait for Belichick to retire before convincing anyone to blow it up. He doesnt want to drift through a 4-12 season. Or have that be the last thing folks remember about him (that they absolutely fell apart without Brady). Make the next guy do it.

Wildcard maybe, but with the way that team is built right now they are going 9-7 at best and thats it everything goes right.

Right now I'd put these teams in front of them in the conference

Bills

Chiefs

Ravens

Titans

Browns

Chargers

Raiders

Colts

Dolphins

Steelers

So that puts them at 11th best in the conference. You think key FAs are going to flock to a team that has an AH HC, no QB and no skill players? The allure of playing in NE and the Patriot Way is throwing around trophies in Florida right now. Pats*** are irrelevant IMO

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Wildcard maybe, but with the way that team is built right now they are going 9-7 at best and thats it everything goes right.

Bills

Chiefs

Ravens

Titans

Browns

Chargers

Raiders

Colts

Dolphins

Steelers

So that puts them at 11th best in the conference. You think key FAs are going to flock to a team that has an AH HC, no QB and no skill players? The allure of playing in NE and the Patriot Way is throwing around trophies in Florida right now. Pats*** are irrelevant IMO

Jags, Jets, Broncos,Bengals and Texans are all Patriots tier then, which sounds weird to say but looks to be true.

On a side note if the Broncos get their QB situation taken care of(Watson?)they could be a much better team, much like the Patriots.

Edited by MrSarcasm
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, chongli said:

[I searched the forum, but could not find anything. If already posted, please merge or delete.]

This was on Colin Cowherd's radio show yesterday (2/16/2021). He makes 11 QB predictions for this off-season:

colin-2.jpg

Here is the video I found:

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/1862125635925

My summary of what he said:

1. Deshaun Watson will be traded to Carolina for Christan Mccaffrey, Teddy Bridgewater, and multiple first found picks. David Tepper, owner of Carolina, is highly aggressive and a roll-the-dice guy, like Steve Ballmer. Plus new head coach Matt Rhule has power and influence in the organization.

2. Teddy Bridgewater to Houston: Houston needs star power for marketability, which Christian Mccaffrey will give; and Bridgewater gives them a one-year gap QB. Bridgewater is a non-chaotic team guy, respected, stable, has a steady hand (which Houston needs), and can learn a new system fast.

3. The NY Jets draft Zach Wilson: a new GM always wants his own guy at QB, not leftovers (Sam Darnold). Wilson grades higher pre-draft than Darnold did.

4. Sam Darnold goes to Indianapolis. The Colts liked him pre-draft and run a run-first offense, which Darnold is perfect for. And Darnold needs a re-boot. Head coach Frank Reich likes athletic QB's, like he did Wentz. Phillip Rivers could not give them that or move the pocket.

5. Chicago acquires Carson Wentz. They already declined Mitch Trubisky's 5th year option and think Nick Foles is not the answer Wentz has a strong arm to cut through the Chicago wind. Their GM and coach are desperate as they are on the hot seat. Chicago needs someone to compete against Aaron Rodgers.

6. New England acquires Marcus Mariota, who is a strong runner and has more accuracy than Cam. Plus he will be a low cap hit, which New England likes. He also knows the AFC. They will be a better version on offense with Marcus than Cam.

7. Atlanta drafts Justin Fields, who can learn for a few years behind the aging Matt Ryan, who is still under contract for two more years. Fields is not NFL-ready yet. People also miss Michael Vick's athleticism, which Fields has and Ryan doesn't. Fields is also from Atlanta.

8. Houston drafts Trey Lance, who is not NFL-ready yet and can learn behind Bridgewater. He gives them the star power they need for marketability. They also get a great deal from Carolina with multiple first rounders and a star RB.

9. New Orleans re-signs Jameis Winston. He is cheap, which New Orleans needs; and will be better the second year in a system, even thuogh he did not start this year. Winston also led the NFL is passing yards just two years ago with 5,100 yards. He is better than Hill.

10. San Francisco retains Jimmy Garoppolo. He has won 75% of his games. SF needs a veteran QB to compete against Wilson, Stafford, and Murray, despite their misgivings about the durability of Garoppolo.

11. Dallas makes a deal to re-sign Dak Prescott. They were only 4-7 without him, but were at least somewhat decent with him before he got injured. He still works for Dallas; they just need to find the right dollar amount

Well Cowherd is 0 for 1.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bills

Chiefs

Ravens

Titans

Browns

Chargers

Raiders

Colts

Dolphins

Steelers

Man, as much as I'd love to see it, I'm not ready to discount them so low yet. And that isnt BBFS talking. That is seeing how they did with losing a bunch of guys to opt-out and having an incapable starting QB. And looking at their cap room for this year, I expect them to make major improvements above and beyond just getting their opt out guys back.

I'd cut that list off after the Chargers. I like Herbert, but not sure the team as a whole is any better than the Pats.

Bills

Chiefs

Ravens

Titans

Browns

And even if I include the Chargers, that's only 6 teams with 1 playoff spot left to go.

I hope you are right and they fall apart, but I can't confidently predict that yet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2021 at 3:18 PM, DCOrange said:

Why don't you think they would? I understand the reasons it might not work out, but they can't really roll it back with Foles/Trubisky IMO.

Because Wentz is god awful.  He had just a horrible year with the Eagles.  Frank Reich is a good coach.  But Phillip Rivers was light years better then Carson Wentz.  Today is not a good day if you are an Indianapolis Colts fan.