Colin Cowherd's QB Dominoes for the 2021 Off-Season

chongli

[I searched the forum, but could not find anything. If already posted, please merge or delete.]

This was on Colin Cowherd's radio show yesterday (2/16/2021). He makes 11 QB predictions for this off-season:

colin-2.jpg

Here is the video I found:

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/1862125635925

My summary of what he said:

1. Deshaun Watson will be traded to Carolina for Christan Mccaffrey, Teddy Bridgewater, and multiple first found picks. David Tepper, owner of Carolina, is highly aggressive and a roll-the-dice guy, like Steve Ballmer. Plus new head coach Matt Rhule has power and influence in the organization.

2. Teddy Bridgewater to Houston: Houston needs star power for marketability, which Christian Mccaffrey will give; and Bridgewater gives them a one-year gap QB. Bridgewater is a non-chaotic team guy, respected, stable, has a steady hand (which Houston needs), and can learn a new system fast.

3. The NY Jets draft Zach Wilson: a new GM always wants his own guy at QB, not leftovers (Sam Darnold). Wilson grades higher pre-draft than Darnold did.

4. Sam Darnold goes to Indianapolis. The Colts liked him pre-draft and run a run-first offense, which Darnold is perfect for. And Darnold needs a re-boot. Head coach Frank Reich likes athletic QB's, like he did Wentz. Phillip Rivers could not give them that or move the pocket.

5. Chicago acquires Carson Wentz. They already declined Mitch Trubisky's 5th year option and think Nick Foles is not the answer Wentz has a strong arm to cut through the Chicago wind. Their GM and coach are desperate as they are on the hot seat. Chicago needs someone to compete against Aaron Rodgers.

6. New England acquires Marcus Mariota, who is a strong runner and has more accuracy than Cam. Plus he will be a low cap hit, which New England likes. He also knows the AFC. They will be a better version on offense with Marcus than Cam.

7. Atlanta drafts Justin Fields, who can learn for a few years behind the aging Matt Ryan, who is still under contract for two more years. Fields is not NFL-ready yet. People also miss Michael Vick's athleticism, which Fields has and Ryan doesn't. Fields is also from Atlanta.

8. Houston drafts Trey Lance, who is not NFL-ready yet and can learn behind Bridgewater. He gives them the star power they need for marketability. They also get a great deal from Carolina with multiple first rounders and a star RB.

9. New Orleans re-signs Jameis Winston. He is cheap, which New Orleans needs; and will be better the second year in a system, even thuogh he did not start this year. Winston also led the NFL is passing yards just two years ago with 5,100 yards. He is better than Hill.

10. San Francisco retains Jimmy Garoppolo. He has won 75% of his games. SF needs a veteran QB to compete against Wilson, Stafford, and Murray, despite their misgivings about the durability of Garoppolo.

11. Dallas makes a deal to re-sign Dak Prescott. They were only 4-7 without him, but were at least somewhat decent with him before he got injured. He still works for Dallas; they just need to find the right dollar amount

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2

Fields to the Falcons is the most intriguing to me. Partly because I'm local, but mostly because while he IS a "hometown" guy, he also left UGA and not on good terms.

Not sure how welcoming Falcons "fans" will be (because most Falcons fans are UGA fans first and Falcons fans just to have something to do on Sunday).

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fields to the Falcons is the most intriguing to me. Partly because I'm local, but mostly because while he IS a "hometown" guy, he also left UGA and not on good terms.

Not sure how welcoming Falcons "fans" will be (because most Falcons fans are UGA fans first and Falcons fans just to have something to do on Sunday).

I remember reading about the big time Georgia Tech vs. UGA rivalry. There is even a name for it: "Clean Old-Fashioned Hate"! LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

It's all plausible. But I do wonder why the Bears would be interested in Wentz. And NE going with a backup caliber QB is fine by me. I think Mariota is one of the better backups in the league, but he is not going to move the needle much for the Patriots, I don't think.

I think maybe the Patriots should take their medicine and go full rebuild and maybe draft a guy next year. Maybe getting Mariota helps achieve that, I don't know.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's all plausible. But I do wonder why the Bears would be interested in Wentz. And NE going with a backup caliber QB is fine by me. I think Mariota is one of the better backups in the league, but he is not going to move the needle much for the Patriots, I don't think.

I think maybe the Patriots should take their medicine and go full rebuild and maybe draft a guy next year. Maybe getting Mariota helps achieve that, I don't know.

Maybe, but they still have one of the best defenses with all their opt-outs returning. You can't just throw that away. Plus Belichick is too old to do a rebuild. He needs to win now to cement his legacy before retiring. If they were going to take their lumps, this was the year to do it. And he is too arrogant; he thinks he can win with what he has and still outsmart the other AFC East teams.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, chongli said:

Maybe, but they still have one of the best defenses with all their opt-outs returning. You can't just throw that away.. Plus Belichick is too old to do a rebuild. He needs to win now to cement his legacy before retiring. If they were going to take their lumps, this was the year to do it. And he is too arrogant; he thinks he can win with what he has and still outsmart the other AFC East teams.

I don't think their defense would have been significantly better with the opt outs. They lost a lot of talent BEFORE the opt outs, and I have a hunch they will be moving on from Gilmore.

But I do respect Belichick's ability to scrape together a respectable defense. He has always been able to. But their offense was horrible, and it's the first time he has had to build an offense without Brady. Brady isn't there anymore to make lemonade out of lemons. Their offense needs a significant injection of talent at basically every position group, especially QB. I don't see them doing that without a rebuild.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why don't you think they would? I understand the reasons it might not work out, but they can't really roll it back with Foles/Trubisky IMO.

Edited by DCOrange

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Mariota to NE is a cream dream. Another 2-0 season against the Pats.

As long as Watson stays out of the afce, I could care less where anyone else goes. Urban will find a way to screw up Lawrence. The Jets organization is a dumpster fire and hopefully the Fins are dumb enough to stick with Tua for another year. Mariota in NE does nothing for Bill. And I still think Wentz and Darnold are still salvageable in the right (non dysfunctional) organization. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Why don't you think they would? I understand the reasons it might not work out, but they can't really roll it back with Foles/Trubisky IMO.

Bears are in a bad spot. They dont have a QB but they have a team built to win now and a coach who is trying to keep his job. They would be better off trying to get a high end rookie. But Nagy doesnt have the time to develop somebody

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Mariota to NE is a cream dream. Another 2-0 season against the Pats.

He's better than cam at this point.  Cam can't throw with any consistency, his footwork and platform aren't reliable, and his arm motion is a mess.  He can still throw it hard, but trajectory is an issue and he seemed to struggle with accuracy. 

Mariota is accurate, still athletic - but he started to become a sack machine in his last couple of years.  Int% down and sack% up, doesn't have tremendous arm strength or accuracy... doesn't throw people open etc.  He's basically tyrod taylor now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's better than cam at this point.  Cam can't throw with any consistency, his footwork and platform aren't reliable, and his arm motion is a mess.  He can still throw it hard, but trajectory is an issue and he seemed to struggle with accuracy. 

Mariota is accurate, still athletic - but he started to become a sack machine in his last couple of years.  Int% down and sack% up, doesn't have tremendous arm strength or accuracy... doesn't throw people open etc.  He's basically tyrod taylor now.  

That's not saying much :D

Yeah, of all the possible QB moves out there, New England landing Mariota is a good thing for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2