Rush Limbaugh Dead at 70

T&C

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Well demonstrated today that many of the shallower posters here do not have one ounce of the integrity of DJT.

Not that Trump has any integrity himself.  Which goes to show how utterly bereft of any class, humanity, dignity, or basic decency these dregs of humanity are here.

And they wonder why we got tired of their *****.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hope you're sitting down ... I actually agree with about 80% of what you just said.

I listened to plenty of Rush back in his prime -- early 1990s. And then when on long drives I'd flip to his show occasionally just to see what he and his audience were currently occupied with. 

In his early national radio days he was a necessary check on a dull mainstream media, all marching to the beat of the same drummer. He worked best in the early Clinton years, before the Repubs took the House in 1994. In those days he was a cutting critic of the standard liberal (to use his word) company line, the cynical use of various social phenomena (the original homelessness crisis, which certainly hasn't abated through subsequent Democratic rule) to make anti-Republican talking points. He was a radio phenomenon, keeping a show going 3 hours a day, 5 days a week WITH NO GUESTS, interspersing some higher forms of argument with lower forms of satire. He was effective too - maybe a little too effective for his own good.

Why do I say that? Well, after 1994 the show went on a downward slide. First it was the Newt Gingrich influence. Then it was all-in on Bush 43, and, of course, ultimately a fawning mutual, umm, self-play admiration society with Donald Trump, someone who had views that certainly didn't fit with the conservative man of principle Rush started out as. He was an outsider at the start, an insider at the end. He was pretty clear about what he was doing too - I remember him talking about taking golf lessons (mid-1990s?), which I don't think was about fresh air and fitness as much as it was about trying to fit in in that country club scene his new Republican admirers moved in. And that didn't really work with him as an entertainer, even though it satisfied a lot of people listening for affirmation of their own views.

I remember an interview with Rush about Howard Stern (the other and very different king of radio in the late 1990s) in which he expressed admiration for how Stern, like him, managed to completely dominate and fill 3 or 4 hours of radio and hold listeners. Very few in history could do that. It's talent of an unusual sort - a talent the new world probably doesn't really have much use for. Like Rush, Stern got stale and became co-opted by the mainstream he used to pillory. I have no use for the kind and gentle Howard Stern sucking up to Hollywood, and I had no use for the latter period Rush ingratiating himself into the corridors of power. 

He was a talented, intelligent, influential, and flawed man. Obituaries of people like that often mention an inability to change with the times. My obituary of him is the opposite: the takeover of the Republican Party by Trump should have put Rush in the same position as, say, Bill Kristol and the Never Trumpers. Instead the attention and flattery of the President caused him to abandon his principles. RIP, Rush.

Appreciate the honesty and the post.  

However why does this ideological purity test always and only apply to Republicans?

Did Bernie voters not show up and vote for 40 year swamp creature Biden?  We don't apply this to any Democrat.  And I don't care but Rush or any conservative isn't not allowed to support Trump because he may be deeply flawed character wise.  The base decided his character flaws were nowhere near as bad as any Republican giving lip service to conservatism and waving the white flag every time the media or Democrat come after them.  

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Liberals don't need some loud mouth moron on the radio telling them what to think. 

True, they forgo the radio and elect their loud mouth morons directly to congress. 

MadMax900x500.jpg

gettyimages-1073930504-690x460.jpg

😀😀

I kid, I kid.  Sorry, couldn't resist. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Well demonstrated today that many of the shallower posters here do not have one ounce of the integrity of DJT.

Ultimate political correctness, Wacko Trumpist style.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Appreciate the honesty and the post.  

However why does this ideological purity test always and only apply to Republicans?

Did Bernie voters not show up and vote for 40 year swamp creature Biden?  We don't apply this to any Democrat.  And I don't care but Rush or any conservative isn't not allowed to support Trump because he may be deeply flawed character wise.  The base decided his character flaws were nowhere near as bad as any Republican giving lip service to conservatism and waving the white flag every time the media or Democrat come after them.  

I was listening to Rush and then voting for Clinton. So I guess I'm kind of unique in that way.

He was right about the Clintons: a completely corrupt and immoral pair. I finally said I couldn't take anymore of that dynasty and voted for Bush over Gore. Didn't work out so well.

To answer your question: Trump isn't just a little bit out of the mainstream of what used to be Republican politics. That would have been Ted Cruz, comin' at you from the hard right. When he emerged on the national scene in 2012, Cruz was kind of as far to the right of the bell curve of Republicans as Bernie was as far to the left of the bell curve of Democrats in 2016. Instead, Trump is really not a Republican at all as we understood the modern Republican Party c. 2015. In fact, he was avowedly a Democrat before that, and an almost third-party (Ross Perot's Reform Party) candidate in 2000. Rush decried him as a non-Republican when he started his run for President. There was a brief moment in summer 2017 when Trump appeared to be falling in line with the Paul Ryan wing (the tax cut), but pretty soon that was over and he was out on his own limbs. And Rush never even mildly criticized him. That's being a cheerleader, not a thought leader.

As for the Democrats: I think we saw what you're talking about. His name was Michael Bloomberg. He was completely out of step with the Democratic Party of 2020, and all other Dems ganged up on him and finished him off and ran him off the national stage, some half a billion dollars later.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

8 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

No reason to attack like this SoTier or  wacked bull ***** labels. He's pretty cool and a wonderful guy.   Esp when someone pass away paying his respects. To me he's a good guy.

Claiming to support "kindness" while thinking that Limbaugh was a "cool and a wonderful guy" suggests that hypocrisy is your stock in trade.   

17 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

What's BillsAnaon? And didn't really watch the playoff run.  Athletes are now firmly in the celebrity camp for me.  Overpaid for either playing a game or make believe.  

Oh c'mon, you know exactly what I'm talking about. No need to be coy.

Hopefully your timing on the stock market is better than your timing on deciding you don't like the Bills anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, wnyguy said:

He was the first conservative radio voice to have his program go national and draw millions of listeners. Before Rush it was pretty much liberal radio talk shows. Kinda like network news today.

You are completely wrong. Before the late 80's talk radio was by law split 50/50 between liberal and conservative pundits. Look up the fairness doctrine. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

You are completely wrong. Before the late 80's talk radio was by law split 50/50 between liberal and conservative pundits. Look up the fairness doctrine. 

Name another national conservative radio talk show host then.

1 hour ago, wnyguy said:

Name another national conservative radio talk show host then.

Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Ben Shaprio I can go on. The Fairness Doctrine prior to 1987 mandated that each radio and TV station give equal time to both sides of the political spectrum. That resulted in stations having to by law give as much time to liberals as they did conservatives. They basically had to present an opposing view either liberal or conservative which made things hard for syndication nationally. It isn't a coincidence that Rush's rise in popularity coincided with the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Oh c'mon, you know exactly what I'm talking about. No need to be coy.

Hopefully your timing on the stock market is better than your timing on deciding you don't like the Bills anymore.

I assume you mean the new Bills site.  I don't know.  Don't spend much time there. Why do you think I do?

I don't time either the stock market or the Bills. I gave up on the Bills 6 years ago and am so happy i did .  Good to see you're as clueless as ever Genie boy.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I assume you mean the new Bills site.  I don't know.  Don't spend much time there. Why do you think I do?

I don't time either the stock market or the Bills. I gave up on the Bills 6 years ago and am so happy i did .  Good to see you're as clueless as ever Genie boy.  

Here's a hint...you'd have been better off giving up on the Sabres.  They're still going nowhere, just skating in circles.

• Like (+1) 1