Rush Limbaugh Dead at 70

T&C

7 minutes ago, 716er said:

I did. I found the Couric interview where he states the opposite of what you claim.

Well I found an article in the Guardian that said the following

Despite his apology, Limbaugh returned to the attack on Tuesday. He told his listeners he had uncovered a passage in Fox's book Lucky Man in which he describes forgoing his medication before appearing in front of a Senate subcommittee to highlight the effects of the disease.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Ok there is no need for this.  

Another reason why people need to start loving each other instead of this hate.  I have few enemies some did awful things to me, if they got hurt, passed away and stuff.  Send my thoughts and prayers. I would help them out and never wish ill upon anyone.

You know how you can tell you are talking to a frequent listener of his show?  That person shows virtually no anger.  No rage.  No hostility.  And no hate toward anyone.........that isn't making policy.  Thanks to a Rush "Doctorate in Democracy," they've been able to bring their POV to the table in a way where Rush would say---"making the difficult, understandable."  Often like him in their own self-deprecating way and good natured humor.  

Every lib you read today has listened to maybe 3 minutes of Rush in their entire lives.  I know this because these are those rage and hate filled people.  Its so easy to hate, rage, and not think.  We all have points of view.  If yours is so much better, it shouldn't require insulting, condescending lectures and anger.  

The truth is there isn't always a clear right or wrong with policy.  We can do lots of "things."  The Federal Government that is.  But that doesn't mean that we should.  What are the consequences--intended and unintended--of doing A B or C?  Conservatives must always ask these questions.  And being a Conservative is not easy.  It requires knowledge of our government and history.  We believe this is the greatest Government and society that's ever graced the Earth, unified under common ideals, and ready to pass our freedoms to the next generation.  

And it needs to constantly be defended from destruction because "freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." -- The GOAT Ronald Reagan.  As much as anything else, that's what Rush really cared about.  

All while explaining conservatism and maybe more importantly, made sense out of how out of touch modern liberalism is---not classical liberalism---big government liberalism.  Which has morphed from trying to make sure Americans had a check when they got old, to "we need to teach our kids the Founding of the country was illegitimate because they had slaves, so rename all schools named after Washington and Jefferson." 

Through it all Rush was ever the happy optimistic conservative warrior that knew all this, and made it easy to understand.  He captivated listeners because they were finally hearing in mass media points of view they always held, just never clearly articulated the way he did it. 

You'll read evil angry hate filled people today call him all sorts of things and probably argue he has damaged the country like no one in history---as they sit 6 feet away from each other indefinitely waiting for the power to come on in Texas or their $2000 checks in Georgia----but the truth is its because they know he was able to successfully articulate an opposing opinon that resonates with the vast majority of people that are willing to listen with an open mind.

If these view points weren't held by the majority of people in America; people that tune in to political talk, news, or just because they care about the country, then why was he at the very pinnacle of it all for 30 plus years?   

RIP to the GOAT of Conservative Talk Radio and one of the greatest Americans of all time.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well demonstrated today that many of the shallower posters here do not have one ounce of the integrity of DJT.

Agree with you B-Man 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

You know how you can tell you are talking to a frequent listener of his show?  That person shows virtually no anger.  No rage.  No hostility.  And no hate toward anyone....that isn't making policy.  Thanks to Rush, they've been able to bring their POV to the table in a way where Rush would say---"making the difficult, understandable." 

Every lib you read today has listened to maybe 3 minutes of Rush in their entire lives.  I know this because these are those rage and hate filled people.  Its so easy to hate and rage and not think.  We all have points of view.  If yours is so much better, it shouldn't require insulting lectures and anger.  

The truth is there isn't always a clear right or wrong with policy.  We can do lots of "things."  The Federal Government that is.  But that doesn't mean we should.  What are the consequences intended and unintended of doing A B or C?  Conservatives must always ask these questions.  And being a Conservative is not easy.  It requires knowledge of our government and history.  We believe this is the greatest Government and society that's ever graced the Earth, unified under common ideals, and ready to pass our freedoms to the next generation.  

And it needs to constantly be defended from destruction because "freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." -- The GOAT Ronald Reagan.

He explained conservatism and more importantly made sense out of how out of touch modern liberalism is.  Not classical liberalism.  Big government liberalism, which has morphed from trying to make sure Americans had a check when they got old, to we need to teach our kids the Founding of the country was illegitimate because they had slaves so rename all schools named after Washington and Jefferson.  

Through it all Rush was ever the happy optimistic conservative warrior that knew all this, and made it easy to understand.  He captivated listeners because they were finally hearing in mass media points of view they always held, just never clearly articulated the way he did it. 

You'll read evil angry hate filled people today call him all sorts of things and probably argue he has damaged the country like no one in history---as they sit 6 feet away from each other indefinitely waiting for the power to come on in Texas or their $2000 checks in Georgia----but the truth is its because they know he was able to successfully articulate an opposing opinon that resonates with the vast majority of people that are willing to listen with an open mind.

If these view points weren't held by the majority of people in America, and that tune in to political talk, news, or just because they care about the country, then why was he at the very pinnacle of it all for 30 plus years?   

RIP to the GOAT of Conservative Talk Radio and one of the greatest Americans of all time.  

Very solid post man. I'm with you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I had to pop back in for this thread.  I absolutely love those pointing out his venom and hate all while spewing venom and hate.  Glad to see the hypocrisy of this place has not waned one bit in the past few months.  Carry on children.  Milk and cookies coming soon. 

Hey bud, how's BillsAnon treating you? Enjoy that playoff run by Josh and the boys?

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well demonstrated today that many of the shallower posters here do not have one ounce of the integrity of DJT.

Is this serious?  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/22/im-not-a-fan-trumps-grudge-against-john-mccain-continues-even-in-death

the problem with this country is we have a bunch of mindless zombie. People don’t hate guys like Trump (who was a Democrat) or Rush because they are conservative.  They hate them because they have built their careers trying to be bullies (like either of those slobs could fight), hypocrites (leading the war on drugs while be being a pill popper), and mocking/ belittling people (how guys who look like that can make fun of anyone is laughable). Then they get simple minded people to follow them and believe all the stupid stuff they say.  

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Great? LOL, oh come on, he was a total coward. Never debated those who disagreed with him and never allowed the facts to pierce his closely scripted narrative. I remember him saying Democrats were racist for not supporting the war in Iraq. He was just such a clown 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Great? LOL, oh come on, he was a total coward. Never debated those who disagreed with him and never allowed the facts to pierce his closely scripted narrative. I remember him saying Democrats were racist for not supporting the war in Iraq. He was just such a clown 

Yea 3 hours a day 5 days a week nearly year round for 30 years with hardly any guests talking politics culture and government. 

Can you find me anyone close to that and that successful?  

Disagree with him all you want no one said he was "universally loved."  

But he is without question an American treasure and the greatest talk show host of all time.

Only question is....why was there never any leftist equivalent?  

Makes one wonder about the merits of each side of the political spectrum.  

6 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

"I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.”

- Clarence Darrow

Gotta love them fake "trends" on Twitter.   

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Hey bud, how's BillsAnon treating you? Enjoy that playoff run by Josh and the boys?

What's BillsAnaon? And didn't really watch the playoff run.  Athletes are now firmly in the celebrity camp for me.  Overpaid for either playing a game or make believe.  

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Only question is....why was there never any leftist equivalent?  

Liberals don't need some loud mouth moron on the radio telling them what to think. That's why. 

It's really sad. A know nothing like him feeding toxic propaganda to people. He really got you guys fired up to invade Iraq, though. Nice move, huh? 

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

You know how you can tell you are talking to a frequent listener of his show?  That person shows virtually no anger.  No rage.  No hostility.  And no hate toward anyone....that isn't making policy.  Thanks to Rush, they've been able to bring their POV to the table in a way where Rush would say---"making the difficult, understandable." 

Every lib you read today has listened to maybe 3 minutes of Rush in their entire lives.  I know this because these are those rage and hate filled people.  Its so easy to hate and rage and not think.  We all have points of view.  If yours is so much better, it shouldn't require insulting lectures and anger.  

The truth is there isn't always a clear right or wrong with policy.  We can do lots of "things."  The Federal Government that is.  But that doesn't mean we should.  What are the consequences intended and unintended of doing A B or C?  Conservatives must always ask these questions.  And being a Conservative is not easy.  It requires knowledge of our government and history.  We believe this is the greatest Government and society that's ever graced the Earth, unified under common ideals, and ready to pass our freedoms to the next generation.  

And it needs to constantly be defended from destruction because "freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." -- The GOAT Ronald Reagan.

He explained conservatism and more importantly made sense out of how out of touch modern liberalism is.  Not classical liberalism.  Big government liberalism, which has morphed from trying to make sure Americans had a check when they got old, to we need to teach our kids the Founding of the country was illegitimate because they had slaves so rename all schools named after Washington and Jefferson.  

If these view points weren't held by the majority of people in America, and that tune in to political talk, news, or just because they care about the country, then why was he at the very pinnacle of it all for 30 plus years?   

I hope you're sitting down ... I actually agree with about 80% of what you just said.

I listened to plenty of Rush back in his prime -- early 1990s. And then when on long drives I'd flip to his show occasionally just to see what he and his audience were currently occupied with. 

In his early national radio days he was a necessary check on a dull mainstream media, all marching to the beat of the same drummer. He worked best in the early Clinton years, before the Repubs took the House in 1994. In those days he was a cutting critic of the standard liberal (to use his word) company line, the cynical use of various social phenomena (the original homelessness crisis, which certainly hasn't abated through subsequent Democratic rule) to make anti-Republican talking points. He was a radio phenomenon, keeping a show going 3 hours a day, 5 days a week WITH NO GUESTS, interspersing some higher forms of argument with lower forms of satire. He was effective too - maybe a little too effective for his own good.

Why do I say that? Well, after 1994 the show went on a downward slide. First it was the Newt Gingrich influence. Then it was all-in on Bush 43, and, of course, ultimately a fawning mutual, umm, self-play admiration society with Donald Trump, someone who had views that certainly didn't fit with the conservative man of principle Rush started out as. He was an outsider at the start, an insider at the end. He was pretty clear about what he was doing too - I remember him talking about taking golf lessons (mid-1990s?), which I don't think was about fresh air and fitness as much as it was about trying to fit in in that country club scene his new Republican admirers moved in. And that didn't really work with him as an entertainer, even though it satisfied a lot of people listening for affirmation of their own views.

I remember an interview with Rush about Howard Stern (the other and very different king of radio in the late 1990s) in which he expressed admiration for how Stern, like him, managed to completely dominate and fill 3 or 4 hours of radio and hold listeners. Very few in history could do that. It's talent of an unusual sort - a talent the new world probably doesn't really have much use for. Like Rush, Stern got stale and became co-opted by the mainstream he used to pillory. I have no use for the kind and gentle Howard Stern sucking up to Hollywood, and I had no use for the latter period Rush ingratiating himself into the corridors of power. 

He was a talented, intelligent, influential, and flawed man. Obituaries of people like that often mention an inability to change with the times. My obituary of him is the opposite: the takeover of the Republican Party by Trump should have put Rush in the same position as, say, Bill Kristol and the Never Trumpers. Instead the attention and flattery of the President caused him to abandon his principles. RIP, Rush.

• Like (+1) 2