Did you play football, at any level?

Ray Stonada

In my prime I was one of the best ILB/TE’s in NYS at the Pop Warner Pee Wee level.  I had a high-motor, quick first step, and was quite adept at fitting it up and getting in space.  Definitely a process guy.

We would have gone to the Dome to the championship that year if Dewey Love (our star tailback) didn’t break his arm.  Scrap ass Clay beat us in the finals, after we beat them by at least 4 TDs in our regular season tilt.  I hung up the cleats after that  💔💔

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

In my prime I was one of the best ILB/TE’s in NYS at the Pop Warner Pee Wee level.  I had a high-motor, quick first step, and was quite adept at fitting it up and getting in space.  Definitely a process guy.

We would have gone to the Dome to the championship that year if Dewey Love (our star tailback) didn’t break his arm.  Scrap ass Clay beat us in the finals, after we beat them by at least 4 TDs in our regular season tilt.  I hung up the cleats after that  💔💔

But did you also bring a blue collar  lunch pail to practice every day? 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I had a (2nd?) cousin who played DB for Pitt from 1975-1978. The starting QB his Junior year was future NFLer Matt Cavanaugh. I know my cousin was a starter for at least his Senior year. I never met him but my family had just moved to VA his Senior year at Pitt (my Freshman year of HS) and I remember my dad pointing him out to me on TV during a game and saying, "There's your cousin." I don't know which was more odd, seeing a relative with the same last name on TV or seeing Pitt on TV in VA before we had cable. 😉

There were also multiple quality players in that time frame, tony dorsett and hugh greene just to name 2. Was he at the game against notre dame where dorsett went for 303?

In 5th grade I was forced to play against 7th and 8th graders because of my size, was very good. They had to shut a game down early one time because I got so many sacks that they were scared their QB was going to get hurt. I played DT and wore #78. I got a bad, like really bad concussion because the coach was a moron and had us running a dangerous drill in which his son, the RB went around head butting everyone as hard as he could while we were standing in a circle. There was no way I could ever go pro. I knew this early on. Pretty smart for a 10-11 year old kid. Even at that young age I saw some really bad injuries, knew I wasn’t good enough to do anything with it, moved on. No point in wrecking your body over some dumb BS. The CTE stuff wasn’t out yet, but when you get your bell rung as bad as I did, you just knew there was going to be consequences going forward if I continued to play football. Years later my High school coach wanted me to join the team, never did. Was just a big kid who really loved lifting weights. He actually played pro for the Rams and Eagles. Very nice guy. VERY big dude.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, DD4Bills said:

Played youth football for a couple of years when I lived in East Amherst in the early 70s, then played a couple of years in Canada. Stopped playing when I was ~12...wasn't very good and focused on hockey instead.

Question - when you played in Canada, did you feel like you had to give 110%?

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You were in high school for seven years?

No, he only PLAYED for 7 years in high school. He skipped the first couple years to beef up. By the end he was like Kramer taking Karate in Seinfeld! 

Little buggers caught him in an alley one night and his football career was tragically ended. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Had the opportunity to walk on at a Big Ten school and earned a scholarship my red shirt senior year (2007 season).  Was a guard and played in 7 or 8 games my final season, including PAT/FG team in a win at TTUN.

Edited by wolfpack78
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I was joking. 

When I referee a  Middle school soccer match, I'll ask a player what grade they are in.

No matter what year, I reply that I loved  grade X and was there 3 years.

Quizzical looks and some laughter occur as the player realizes I am kidding with them.

Your joke about 7 years in HS was great