Did you play football, at any level?

Ray Stonada

Played all the way up through HS, got recruited by some D3 schools and one minor D1 school........but I was a better hockey player and went that route, besides I'm not huge.

22 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Still hold longest INT return for TD at my high school (103 yards). Actually same high school were Kim Pegula went. Our team was terrible though. 

Did you go to school with her? That would have been fun!

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.  Jr. & Sr. High.  Offensive Guard & Tackle.  One time special teams,  kickoff team.  I said ONE time.  You don't wanna know the result of that play.  Okay, two times, I grabbed an onside kick.  You also don't wanna know the results.  Let's just say, I wasn't on "The Hands Team."

LoL...

I hear those leather helmets were mighty uncomfortable 

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I hear those leather helmets were mighty uncomfortable 

Child!

"In fact, under one testing scenario, a leather helmet provided a lower level of DAI risk than any of the modern helmets. ... While these helmets are effective shields against catastrophic skull fractures, they don't do as good a job absorbing energy from a lower impact hit."

https://healthland.time.com/2011/11/07/in-football-leather-helmets-could-provide-a-better-defense-against-concussion/#:~:text=In fact%2C under one testing,any of the modern helmets.&text=While these helmets are effective,from a lower impact hit.

• Haha (+1) 1

All county offensive tackle in high-school.  Played against Alan Zemitis who went to PSU and later drafted by the Bucs 

Then just played flag football 9×9 and won a few championships 

Edited by Negan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I just didn’t have the size and probably not enough athleticism to play at the next level.  Part of me does wish that I picked a D3 school and tried out for a spot because sometimes I think I would’ve had an outside chance.  But who knows?

agreed, but back then (in my case, I'm pretty old)  if you blew out a knee they really didn't know how to fix them very well..  so best to pass in my case

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Played all the way up through HS, got recruited by some D3 schools and one minor D1 school........but I was a better hockey player and went that route, besides I'm not huge.

Did you go to school with her? That would have been fun!

No I'm about 10 years or so later. 

Growing up in the UK, never had the oppportunity - too old by the time there were any sort of teams around. Started watching the NFL around the time games were first broadcast in the UK. First time I was 'hooked', was watching Joe Montana.

Played a bunch of sports at school levels, soccer, rugby, basketball and cricket. All ball sports. If I hadn't gone to college, I might have had an outside chance at becoming a professional cricketer, but it would have been an outsde chance, and no regrets anyway.

Continued playing cricket after a hiatus of a number of years during, and after college. Did play against some professionals, but also played against, and with, some guys who became professional.

One thing I have been always able to do, is catch.

The various sports I have played gives me some insight into the NFL, but the minutiae of the X's and O's aren't there. I understand tackling (through rugby) and other basics, and have a decent appreciation of positioning.

If I had grown up in the US, I'm sure I would have played -it's a ball sport ;) - but I doubt I would have played to much of a standard. My size and skillset, doen't really match up that well positionally, although I'm 6 foot, in my pomp I wasn't really heavy enough when fit, and although quick off the blocks, I had no sort of top end speed.

8 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I played as a kid up to JV high school. Then I discovered weed and alcohol 

I played growing up, then had surgery on my foot before freshman year. Had the surgery repeated before sophomore year. Played as a junior and broke my leg in a scrimmage vs Amherst High prior to the season. Tried to limp thru it. Beasley is tough! (Same bone,) 

Senior year? I had a girlfriend, a car and “hobbies”. My football career was over.

Played rugby in college until a neck injury after several seasons. I learned you didn’t have to wait for post-game parties, there were kegs in the stands while you watched. That eliminated the most grueling part of my Saturday experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

I played for the University of Pittsburgh Panthers....96 - 01....FB my freshman year, RG sophomore through senior year...

Side note:  Pitt was so bad when I got there, they were recruiting students to walk on in the SCHOOL PAPER...("Do you weigh over 250 pounds, play ball in high school? Then COME ON DOWN!!)

😄

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I played for the University of Pittsburgh Panthers....96 - 01....FB my freshman year, RG sophomore through senior year...

Side note:  Pitt was so bad when I got there, they were recruiting students to walk on in the SCHOOL PAPER...("Do you weigh over 250 pounds, play ball in high school? Then COME ON DOWN!!)

😄

Impressive - How did your career go?

Were you waiting by the phone on NFL Draft Day 2002?

• Haha (+1) 1