Did you play football, at any level?

Ray Stonada

I played a couple of years in HS but our plays and formations were so basic I wasn't learning anything that would help me watching pro football.  The only things I learned were get lower than they other guy and keep your head up so you don't get you neck broken.

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I played as a kid up to JV high school. Then I discovered weed and alcohol 

Awful excuse. I played through college doing both (and more 😉).  But looking back, no party was worth sacrificing a game. You realize it when you get older. I’m sure a lot of the Super Bowl Bills players have a lot of regrets.

8 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I played a couple of years in HS but our plays and formations were so basic I wasn't learning anything that would help me watching pro football.  The only things I learned were get lower than they other guy and keep your head up so you don't get you neck broken.

The funniest thing is the nfl uses a lot of formations/ plays that high schools use now. The terminology is crazy but some of them are very simple concepts. It’s why it’s never been easier to be a nfl qb. A lot of these guys have been running the same offense for almost 8 years before they take a nfl snap.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

2 years JV.  1 year Varsity.  Was battling the 5’9 140lb (I was 6’2 190) coaches son at QB as a junior and lost the competition....as we went 0-11.  I played some TE and LB.  I had a heart to heart with the coach prior to my senior year where he told me it would be an “open competition” in which he received every 1st team rep, and 90% of the reps through the first 2 weeks of camp.  Realizing I was wasting my time trying to play QB, I talked to the soccer coach and he took me on after not playing soccer since middle school.  Started at sweeper all season and we placed second in section.  Had a blast.  The football team went 0-11.  

Don't you hate that? I was the lead RB from my 3rd year of youth league all the way through my Freshman year in HS. As a Freshman on the JV squad I ran for 402 yards on 54 carries with 5 TD's. We moved in December of my Freshman year to a new county. When I got to my new HS these guys had all been playing together since they were kids. The coaches already had their favorites and one of them was the Asst. HC's son who was the team's starting RB. I made the team, but would only get about 6-10 touches per game. I averaged close to 10 yards per touch while the coaches son only averaged about 4. A majority of my playing time came on defense at FS as I started there for 3 years at my new HS. All of the guys on defense that I started with were constantly talking ***t in practice to the other kid saying that "You know he should have your job right now, right?", talking about me being the starting RB. Coach used to get pissed and make me run suicides all of the time, especially if I lit his son up in practice. One time I lit him up in an Oklahoma drill when I was a Junior. I knocked the wind out of him and he laid on the ground for about 2 minutes before he got up. His dad accused me of intentionally trying to hurt him so I could get the starting role. After that the HC never let me run against him in any type of hitting drills in practice, but when we lined up 11 on 11 I made it a point to hit him every chance I got. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, H2o said:

Don't you hate that? I was the lead RB from my 3rd year of youth league all the way through my Freshman year in HS. As a Freshman on the JV squad I ran for 402 yards on 54 carries with 5 TD's. We moved in December of my Freshman year to a new county. When I got to my new HS these guys had all been playing together since they were kids. The coaches already had their favorites and one of them was the Asst. HC's son who was the team's starting RB. I made the team, but would only get about 6-10 touches per game. I averaged close to 10 yards per touch while the coaches son only averaged about 4. A majority of my playing time came on defense at FS as I started there for 3 years at my new HS. All of the guys on defense that I started with were constantly talking ***t in practice to the other kid saying that "You know he should have your job right now, right?", talking about me being the starting RB. Coach used to get pissed and make me run suicides all of the time, especially if I lit his son up in practice. One time I lit him up in an Oklahoma drill when I was a Junior. I knocked the wind out of him and he laid on the ground for about 2 minutes before he got up. His dad accused me of intentionally trying to hurt him so I could get the starting role. After that the HC never let me run against him in any type of hitting drills in practice, but when we lined up 11 on 11 I made it a point to hit him every chance I got. 

Hated it so much I switched sports.  

It’s a terrible position to be in, having to compete with the coaches son for a starting spot.  

His son was 0-22.  The year after we graduated, they won 5 or 6 games.....and he was fired.  Felt good

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have played precisely 1 game in the UK University league (which looks absolutely nothing like football and is a ramshackle amateurish joke to be honest). I am told it has professionalised a bit since but at the time I am not even sure it was safe there was no proper governing body, no proper officiating it was a shambles. 

Anyway I played safety and slot receiver. It was kind of fun but I learnt absolutely nothing about the game from that and all of my knowledge has come from watching, reading, listening and generally committing a lot of my spare time to it.

I played tight end and defensive end in high-school in the late 60s  - 70.  It helped some but today's game is so different and much more sofisticated.  By the way, those leather helmets were a pain.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

I have played precisely 1 game in the UK University league (which looks absolutely nothing like football and is a ramshackle amateurish joke to be honest). I am told it has professionalised a bit since but at the time I am not even sure it was safe there was no proper governing body, no proper officiating it was a shambles. 

Anyway I played safety and slot receiver. It was kind of fun but I learnt absolutely nothing about the game from that and all of my knowledge has come from watching, reading, listening and generally committing a lot of my spare time to it.

My wife and I have friends that live in Coventry UK.  Their son play QB at their professional level.  He has played on a team in Germany and in, I believe Norway. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

2 years JV.  1 year Varsity.  Was battling the 5’9 140lb (I was 6’2 190) coaches son at QB as a junior and lost the competition....as we went 0-11.  I played some TE and LB.  I had a heart to heart with the coach prior to my senior year where he told me it would be an “open competition” in which he received every 1st team rep, and 90% of the reps through the first 2 weeks of camp.  Realizing I was wasting my time trying to play QB, I talked to the soccer coach and he took me on after not playing soccer since middle school.  Started at sweeper all season and we placed second in section.  Had a blast.  The football team went 0-11.  

Coaches sons are always QB’s even if they are 5’7 130. 

Am I the only idiot that initially thought GB was talking about University of Kentucky?  

• Haha (+1) 1

Played throughout middleschool/hishchool. Biggest takeway is how much respect I have for the players. I remember the day after a game I'd be sore as hell and those injuries lingered and it was only for 6/7 games a year. Can't imagine doing this for a full nfl season at the level of competition (obviously helps to have a training staff/medical facilities). If I was in Beasleys position at the end of this year, I probably wouldve been in the camp of my leg is basically paralyzed instead of toughing it out like a beast.

Other than that, flags. I actually understand why a lot of the penalties are called even though I don't like them. Kinda useless in my mind.