PFF top 50 free agent signing predictions

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Glass houses my friend....

If Allen had been drafted ahead of the Bills spot, they would have taken Rosen and most of us on this board would have been happy.  He was my number 2 after Allen but he was many people's first choice.

Also this franchise signed a guy that quit at halftime and started Peterman more than once.  

Interesting take.  I think guys chase money more than they care about winning.  If the Patriots trade for Ryan or Garoppolo they will be in the mix for a WC spot next year. They had the most number of COVID opt-outs last year and they were still competitive in most games.  

Garoppolo and Ryan are for the most part game managers,  the pats have to have a top QB to draw top offense talent, that just how it’s is nowadays, and that is going to eat up a big chunk of their available funds, and consider a notable number of that vaunted D left before the opt outs happened, and who knows how much those guys who opted out want to give to a team that, face it, sucks right now.  It’s hard to motivate when you know in your heart your team has little chance for success, just my take as if were...

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Neither of us know.  All we know is McD passed on Mahommes and Beane traded a ton of draft capital to go from 12 to 7. If the Cardinals traded to get to 7 and take Allen as was reported at the time, my guess is Beane takes Rosen over Jackson.  

My understanding from a very good source is that neither Rosen nor Mayfield were on the Bills' board by draft night and I don't believe Jackson was high on it. The Bills were all in on getting Allen or Darnold they were the two guys they were interested in. Had it gone horribly wrong and they missed out on both I think they'd have taken Edmunds at #12 and then traded down and taken Mason Rudolph or Kyle Lauletta in round 2. Once Mayfield went #1 I think the Bills felt they were pretty safe. The Giants were taking Barkley at #2, the Jets would take one of Allen / Darnold at #3, they knew the Browns were not going QB again at #4. They then had a deal worked out with Denver at #5 if Chubb wasn't there so it was not like anyone could trade up ahead of them to #5 because it was either Chubb or trade with Buffalo. Indy was dead set on Nelson at #6. So as long as they had a deal with Tampa at #7 they were going to get their guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So would I. There are concerns about Ngakoue's mediocre run stop ability but when he lines up wide he is a force. There's no way we offer Milano what he'll want. 

Yea. Ngakoue is really your Jerry Hughes replacement. He is the 9 tech. I think that is more of our need. I think we can find guys in the draft and from what we have to man the 7 tech on the opposite side but eventually Jerry is gonna slow down to the point where we have no speed rush at all.

13 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Milano gone 

williams re-signs 

bills add Yannick Ngakoue

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-landing-spots-pffs-top-50-free-agents

That list is unimaginative and full of not very well researched predictions.  They basically have all the top free agents staying with their current teams, 17 out of top 19.  And 5 top free agent WRs all signing 1 year franchise tag deals. 

None of that is realistic.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My understanding from a very good source is that neither Rosen nor Mayfield were on the Bills' board by draft night and I don't believe Jackson was high on it. The Bills were all in on getting Allen or Darnold they were the two guys they were interested in. Had it gone horribly wrong and they missed out on both I think they'd have taken Edmunds at #12 and then traded down and taken Mason Rudolph or Kyle Lauletta in round 2. Once Mayfield went #1 I think the Bills felt they were pretty safe. The Giants were taking Barkley at #2, the Jets would take one of Allen / Darnold at #3, they knew the Browns were not going QB again at #4. They then had a deal worked out with Denver at #5 if Chubb wasn't there so it was not like anyone could trade up ahead of them to #5 because it was either Chubb or trade with Buffalo. Indy was dead set on Nelson at #6. So as long as they had a deal with Tampa at #7 they were going to get their guy.

My god could you imagine a MLB that can’t find a run lane and Mason Rudolph as all they got for passing on Mahomes? 
As soon as Mayfield went off the board I was hoping the Jets would make the mistake of drafting Darnold. I heard similar stories of a deal to move to 5 with Denver. I was thrilled they got Allen. 

4 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Given those contract values, I would take Milano, Watt, and Feliciano over Yannick and Williams.

Who is your RT then? I’m not saying that your suggesting is bad, just that it leaves a big hole at RT. Do you move Ford back outside or draft OT in the first two rounds?

16 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

We need a solid 1 tech DT

Yes, Star.

As far as Yannick, I’d love him here, but not at that price.  Watt might be less costly.  IDK, there are some reports he wants more than we can afford, but it’s all speculation at this point.  I believed Beane when he said he wasn’t going to make any big splashes.  We’ll see how it pans out.

17 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He fits as a backup for a few teams mainly the Ravens. I think if the Ravens don’t sign him as a backup no team will. He was a FA for a long time and I really didn’t expect him to get signed. Now that he had a horrid year with the Patriots I expected even less teams to look at him. I would honestly bet 2,000$ that if Barkley or Fromm were with the Patriots they would have better numbers than Newton’s epic bad season.

The NE defense was below average (27th in defensive DVOA) and they went 7-8 with him at QB. His PFF AV was 12, which is very solid. He had 10 picks to go along with 8 TD passes and 13 rushing and receiving TDs. He completed 66 percent of his passes. That is the very definition of a better than average backup, and he’d actually be a huge upgrade for the Bills (who aren’t going to sign him). What you want from a backup qb is a guy who can get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch when your starter separates a shoulder or pulls a hamstring. He can do that for you. Matt Barkley cannot.

There is a lot of hate for Newton on this board, and I can’t understand why. Is it the clothes? The interviews? If it is, all I have to say is who gives a crap about that stuff? He is by no means a good starting QB. But he is without a doubt a top 40 QB in the NFL still despite the shoulder injury that reduced from a well-above average QB (on a near-MVP pace in 2018 up to midseason that year) to what he is now.

16 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The patriots are no longer  a destination team, no big time free agent wants to go to a rebuild team with no QB, no receivers etc etc.  Belichicks reputation is not a draw anymore, that team is in a quandary with no fix in sight. 

Famous last words. We shall see.

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The NE defense was below average (27th in defensive DVOA) and they went 7-8 with him at QB. His PFF AV was 12, which is very solid. He had 10 picks to go along with 8 TD passes and 13 rushing and receiving TDs. He completed 66 percent of his passes. That is the very definition of a better than average backup, and he’d actually be a huge upgrade for the Bills (who aren’t going to sign him). What you want from a backup qb is a guy who can get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch when your starter separates a shoulder or pulls a hamstring. He can do that for you. Matt Barkley cannot.

There is a lot of hate for Newton on this board, and I can’t understand why. Is it the clothes? The interviews? If it is, all I have to say is who gives a crap about that stuff? He is by no means a good starting QB. But he is without a doubt a top 40 QB in the NFL still despite the shoulder injury that reduced from a well-above average QB (on a near-MVP pace in 2018 up to midseason that year) to what he is now.

I will take the chance that I’m wrong, but that team just does not have the draw like it did in past years. 

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t hate the guy I just think that he isn’t a good QB. I don’t hate Wentz I just think that he isn’t a good QB. Cam misses so many throws when the game is on the line. If he was going to be a good backup QB why wouldn’t the Patriots just re-sign him then? The Patriots have absolutely nothing at QB not even a good backup. I’m going to stay with my original prediction of if he is not the Backup on the Ravens he will not be playing next year. No team is going to deal with his attitude and injuries  just for a backup QB.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don’t hate the guy I just think that he isn’t a good QB. I don’t hate Wentz I just think that he isn’t a good QB. Cam misses so many throws when the game is on the line. If he was going to be a good backup QB why wouldn’t the Patriots just re-sign him then? The Patriots have absolutely nothing at QB not even a good backup. I’m going to stay with my original prediction of if he is not the Backup on the Ravens he will not be playing next year. No team is going to deal with his attitude and injuries  just for a backup QB.

I don’t know what NE will do regarding Newton. No one is being signed by anyone right now because teams won’t know what the salary cap will be for a couple more weeks. That is driving everything right now. It all comes to tv contracts and projected gate revenues. The former will be based on real contracts to be signed soon, and the latter is a crapshoot.

35 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Yes but 5 million?  He got paid 1 million this year and play that crap. 

Newton did not play well, but he made a lot more than $1M.  That was just the base salary in a heavily incentivized contract.  He hit incentives that brought his earnings up to $3.7M from what I’ve read.  I don’t know if he’ll get $5M this season, but it wouldn’t be out of line and it wouldn’t surprise me if he did. 

I am not a fan of this. I'd rather keep Milano and let Williams walk. Yannick I am shaky on, his stats are not bad but he seems to be a malcontent at points and I wonder if the defense had a start they way they did in the 1st half how well he would do with it. That said I really like our defense with Milano staying and Yannick added and that feels like it could help gel the defense to have the edge they missed last year.

That said I think you can find a RT faster then a LB like Milano who has proven that his absence in the lineup has been a major void. Additionally you do not know if Tremaine is worth the money long term and Milano has shown more. Even if they had to franchise tag Milano I would rather do that for a year.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yes, Star.

As far as Yannick, I’d love him here, but not at that price.  Watt might be less costly.  IDK, there are some reports he wants more than we can afford, but it’s all speculation at this point.  I believed Beane when he said he wasn’t going to make any big splashes.  We’ll see how it pans out.

I think big splash in not bringing in a top 20 player like diggs is different then fixing your roster byt yea,,, D'Line needs to be fixed from the inside out and not the other way around.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

High standards?

On 2/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d be alright with signing Williams and Ngakoue and letting Milano walk.  

Likely the Bills will need to draft one of those positions, either LB or O-line.  I suppose it makes sense money wise to draft the LB as based on what I've read it would cost much more to sign Milano than Williams.  So with limited money sign the cheaper guy and draft the other one.  Admittedly it's a little riskier as asking a rookie LB to step in as a 3 down starter is a big ask on a team capable of competing for a SB.