Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, and Tequila

Draconator

8 hours ago, RiotAct said:

My kinda broadcast crew.

Except for the tequila part, I can’t drink that stuff straight.  In a margarita or tequila sunrise, sure.

This just sounds like something out of the movie, major league.  Why he would ever admit it is beyond me.  I doubt they were getting drunk, but then again the most noteworthy female host for 20+ years in Tampa, was taken off the air when she was reporting from the gasparilla parade as she was hammered.  The story they put out later was she was sick.  Riiight?  Anyone who knows Tampa, Gasparilla is as nuts as any St. Patty’s day parade.  Open container is lifted.

9 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Look , maybe it’s my background  ( was a Med director of inpatient detox unit for a few years early in my career ) , maybe it’s because I don’t like any COWBOY , maybe I don’t like BUCKS  arrogant personality etc, but admitting something like drinking ON A JOB  YOU GET PAID LARGE SUMS OF MONEY TO PERFORM SOBER , is another arrogant behavior that minimizes how impactful this type of behavior actually is. 

I don’t know about you guys , but ANY job I have ever had required I performed it while sober and not under the influence of chemicals. We are not talking about brain surgery during a broadcast, but are you really under so much pressure you have to numb yourself, use a substance to just talk in front of a crowd after doing it for a whole career?  When you think it’s ok to drink WHILE WORKING, usually this is a pretty good sign you are already having a substance abuse issue that may be impacting other areas of your life. There are tons of easy ways to cope with performance anxiety , at worse case even a small dose of non impairing beta blocker meds like propranolol can combat nerves or adrenaline from anxiety without being addictive or impairing. So jumping to drinking tequila in front of a national audience is a huge step, and while not knowing their personal backgrounds , I just wonder how they can think announcing this is ok?  In what world is drinking on any Job justified as ok ( other than being a taste tester I guess!), and would they recommend this to younger broadcasters as something ok to do ?  These guys are held up as role models for guys wanting to be in this career ( not saying it’s good etc, just it is what it is), so isn’t this telling others this is ok,even if they can stop at just “one drink” , a lot of people can’t.   I just think it’s in bad taste to broadcast this stuff , say it on a open podcast etc.   It is just acting “ above the law “ , type thinking and behavior.  If I found out an employee in my office needed to drink just to take the edge off, I would get them help and test them for other substances. It can be a path to self destructive behavior and usually by the time someone is using on a job( most people will let all go , family , relationships , etc BEFORE they jeopardize their work), they are already having issues elsewhere in their life. 

I am not trying to say any drinking is bad. Hey I like tequila, but while I am home, off, not driving, etc.   I just think this is arrogance at its highest level as these guys I bet would be extremely judgmental about a player taking drugs while playing or if their dentist , dr , etc felt it was ok to just have a little tequila while working.   It’s just that holier than thou behavior that irks me so much about celebrities like this. Their damn job is not life and death as they suggest , so why do you feel so much stress about it that you have to numb those feelings?  IT IS A FUN JOB, so justifying drinking to MAKE IT FUN is evidence of impaired judgment ,  and it’s arrogant of them to just think we can say this stuff because we are so popular , so irreplaceable, no one will challenge us on what is usually seen as unacceptable behavior in every other aspect of society.  

SORRY FOR THE RANT.   Just don’t like people who are judgmental towards others performance as their job, think they are above scrutiny and that this is just normal and ok. It’s none of that. In an age where people are losing jobs just for political beliefs ( cancel culture like the chick from Disney), have we gotten our morality so screwed up that we will ruin a career for a belief but allow possible DANGEROUS BEHAVIOR to become a norm?  Not a big fan of these guys before , and will be less of one in the future.   Doubt McD or Beane drink much while working on the Bills,,,,,,,except if they keep dipping into that Carolina well!  😀

Actually, I enjoyed your rant.., spot on.  I'm waiting for the ultimate Joe Buck/Aikman experience - Vodka and Marijuana brownies!!!

Edited by TAinLA
Spelling

12 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Look , maybe it’s my background  ( was a Med director of inpatient detox unit for a few years early in my career ) , maybe it’s because I don’t like any COWBOY , maybe I don’t like BUCKS  arrogant personality etc, but admitting something like drinking ON A JOB  YOU GET PAID LARGE SUMS OF MONEY TO PERFORM SOBER , is another arrogant behavior that minimizes how impactful this type of behavior actually is. 

I don’t know about you guys , but ANY job I have ever had required I performed it while sober and not under the influence of chemicals. We are not talking about brain surgery during a broadcast, but are you really under so much pressure you have to numb yourself, use a substance to just talk in front of a crowd after doing it for a whole career?  When you think it’s ok to drink WHILE WORKING, usually this is a pretty good sign you are already having a substance abuse issue that may be impacting other areas of your life. There are tons of easy ways to cope with performance anxiety , at worse case even a small dose of non impairing beta blocker meds like propranolol can combat nerves or adrenaline from anxiety without being addictive or impairing. So jumping to drinking tequila in front of a national audience is a huge step, and while not knowing their personal backgrounds , I just wonder how they can think announcing this is ok?  In what world is drinking on any Job justified as ok ( other than being a taste tester I guess!), and would they recommend this to younger broadcasters as something ok to do ?  These guys are held up as role models for guys wanting to be in this career ( not saying it’s good etc, just it is what it is), so isn’t this telling others this is ok,even if they can stop at just “one drink” , a lot of people can’t.   I just think it’s in bad taste to broadcast this stuff , say it on a open podcast etc.   It is just acting “ above the law “ , type thinking and behavior.  If I found out an employee in my office needed to drink just to take the edge off, I would get them help and test them for other substances. It can be a path to self destructive behavior and usually by the time someone is using on a job( most people will let all go , family , relationships , etc BEFORE they jeopardize their work), they are already having issues elsewhere in their life. 

I am not trying to say any drinking is bad. Hey I like tequila, but while I am home, off, not driving, etc.   I just think this is arrogance at its highest level as these guys I bet would be extremely judgmental about a player taking drugs while playing or if their dentist , dr , etc felt it was ok to just have a little tequila while working.   It’s just that holier than thou behavior that irks me so much about celebrities like this. Their damn job is not life and death as they suggest , so why do you feel so much stress about it that you have to numb those feelings?  IT IS A FUN JOB, so justifying drinking to MAKE IT FUN is evidence of impaired judgment ,  and it’s arrogant of them to just think we can say this stuff because we are so popular , so irreplaceable, no one will challenge us on what is usually seen as unacceptable behavior in every other aspect of society.  

SORRY FOR THE RANT.   Just don’t like people who are judgmental towards others performance as their job, think they are above scrutiny and that this is just normal and ok. It’s none of that. In an age where people are losing jobs just for political beliefs ( cancel culture like the chick from Disney), have we gotten our morality so screwed up that we will ruin a career for a belief but allow possible DANGEROUS BEHAVIOR to become a norm?  Not a big fan of these guys before , and will be less of one in the future.   Doubt McD or Beane drink much while working on the Bills,,,,,,,except if they keep dipping into that Carolina well!  😀

I think if there were a reason to believe it were a problem it would have come up.  They do a fine job, and are the top announcing pair on Fox.  They aren't closing million dollar business deals over scotch - but guess what?  That's still happening too.  

If you think every bartender, chef/cook is 100% sober you are flat out wrong.  In my experience of fine dining, usually around 8-830 beers were out.  Bartenders aren't supposed to drink a ton on the job, but in my experience even the best ones do.

Hell, TV shows have guests on with beers now because it helps people loosen up a bit for live interviews.  

Announcing a football game is not a formal type of engagement, a certain level of professionalism is required but at the end of the day they're there to tell you what is happening during a game.  They try to impart some of their knowledge of football, but also are there to get excited so that you get excited.  It's easier for him to do that when he treats it how you might treat attending a game where you aren't announcing.  I have no problem with this, it puts no one in danger in the slightest.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, RiotAct said:

My kinda broadcast crew.

Except for the tequila part, I can’t drink that stuff straight.  In a margarita or tequila sunrise, sure.

My kinda broadcast crew, except for the Buck and Aikman part. Couldn’t tequila have found less annoying representation to speak on its behalf?

• Like (+1) 1

I used to bring a water bottle with vodka in it when I used to presentations.  I have a small stuttering issue and when I drink and talk with prepared materials it used to reduce my stuttering greatly.  Nothing wrong with drinking on a job as long as you do not over do.  Fortunately I work from home now and if I choose to have a cocktail or beer when working no one notices.

Edited by Limeaid
typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transient said:

My kinda broadcast crew, except for the Buck and Aikman part. Couldn’t tequila have found less annoying representation to speak on its behalf?

I like Joe Buck actually... but I will say, his voice and overall style is suited better to baseball than football.

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Buck has the personality of a trust fund frat boy, so it makes sense he’d admit to drinking on the job just to sound cool. 

I have seen enough of Buck in interviews to say that he is the dorkiest, squarest person on the planet.

So your comment makes sense.

• Agree 1

When I was in the Air Force, at like 21 years of age, I went through a short stint where I thought it was totally kosher to have a drink or two at lunch. 

My job was a range monitor, which was the guy who made sure F-16s and other aircraft kept their distance in range airspace from each other. 

I think I could've totally refueled an F-16. But there was no way I could've called a nationally-televised football game. 

• Haha (+1) 1