Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, and Tequila

Draconator

Yes Matilda. It is the off-season. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932130-joe-buck-says-he-and-troy-aikman-used-to-drink-tequila-during-broadcasts?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

"We haven't done it in a long time now, but it was good for a stretch, and I feel like it's a good mental trigger to just chill and remind yourself that you're not refueling a F-16 in midflight," he said. "You're doing a sporting event, and if you treat it like anything other than that, you're doing yourself a disservice." 

I like drink beer or vodka during Bills games, so I guess we're doing the same thing. Except I'm not being paid by the word...

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Yes Matilda. It is the off-season. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932130-joe-buck-says-he-and-troy-aikman-used-to-drink-tequila-during-broadcasts?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

"We haven't done it in a long time now, but it was good for a stretch, and I feel like it's a good mental trigger to just chill and remind yourself that you're not refueling a F-16 in midflight," he said. "You're doing a sporting event, and if you treat it like anything other than that, you're doing yourself a disservice." 

I like drink beer or vodka during Bills games, so I guess we're doing the same thing. Except I'm not being paid by the word...

Pffft. An F-15 or a C-5 maybe. But a lawn dart???

Boy please. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Funny that he used to drink a beer while doing baseball but Aikman wouldn’t drink beer so they switched it to tequila. 

I had trouble with the link so here’s a different one. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/joe-buck-admits-to-drinking-tequila-with-troy-aikman-in-broadcast-booth-221712798.html

27 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Pffft. An F-15 or a C-5 maybe. But a lawn dart???

Boy please. 

Lawn darts and tequila go together like peanut butter and jelly! 

Until.........  😱

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

They usually sound like it too. Just a couple of buddies reminiscing about the old days and spit balling about football.

Not the highest quality, but you can do worse.

Idk, actually... they're definitely one of the worst. Buck doesn't know when to shut up and Aikman sounds like a guy they just pulled off the street.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Idk, actually... they're definitely one of the worst. Buck doesn't know when to shut up and Aikman sounds like a guy they just pulled off the street.

A lot of people don't like them. I know that. Personally, I don't mind them all that much. They certainly aren't my favorites, though.

Look , maybe it’s my background  ( was a Med director of inpatient detox unit for a few years early in my career ) , maybe it’s because I don’t like any COWBOY , maybe I don’t like BUCKS  arrogant personality etc, but admitting something like drinking ON A JOB  YOU GET PAID LARGE SUMS OF MONEY TO PERFORM SOBER , is another arrogant behavior that minimizes how impactful this type of behavior actually is. 

I don’t know about you guys , but ANY job I have ever had required I performed it while sober and not under the influence of chemicals. We are not talking about brain surgery during a broadcast, but are you really under so much pressure you have to numb yourself, use a substance to just talk in front of a crowd after doing it for a whole career?  When you think it’s ok to drink WHILE WORKING, usually this is a pretty good sign you are already having a substance abuse issue that may be impacting other areas of your life. There are tons of easy ways to cope with performance anxiety , at worse case even a small dose of non impairing beta blocker meds like propranolol can combat nerves or adrenaline from anxiety without being addictive or impairing. So jumping to drinking tequila in front of a national audience is a huge step, and while not knowing their personal backgrounds , I just wonder how they can think announcing this is ok?  In what world is drinking on any Job justified as ok ( other than being a taste tester I guess!), and would they recommend this to younger broadcasters as something ok to do ?  These guys are held up as role models for guys wanting to be in this career ( not saying it’s good etc, just it is what it is), so isn’t this telling others this is ok,even if they can stop at just “one drink” , a lot of people can’t.   I just think it’s in bad taste to broadcast this stuff , say it on a open podcast etc.   It is just acting “ above the law “ , type thinking and behavior.  If I found out an employee in my office needed to drink just to take the edge off, I would get them help and test them for other substances. It can be a path to self destructive behavior and usually by the time someone is using on a job( most people will let all go , family , relationships , etc BEFORE they jeopardize their work), they are already having issues elsewhere in their life. 

I am not trying to say any drinking is bad. Hey I like tequila, but while I am home, off, not driving, etc.   I just think this is arrogance at its highest level as these guys I bet would be extremely judgmental about a player taking drugs while playing or if their dentist , dr , etc felt it was ok to just have a little tequila while working.   It’s just that holier than thou behavior that irks me so much about celebrities like this. Their damn job is not life and death as they suggest , so why do you feel so much stress about it that you have to numb those feelings?  IT IS A FUN JOB, so justifying drinking to MAKE IT FUN is evidence of impaired judgment ,  and it’s arrogant of them to just think we can say this stuff because we are so popular , so irreplaceable, no one will challenge us on what is usually seen as unacceptable behavior in every other aspect of society.  

SORRY FOR THE RANT.   Just don’t like people who are judgmental towards others performance as their job, think they are above scrutiny and that this is just normal and ok. It’s none of that. In an age where people are losing jobs just for political beliefs ( cancel culture like the chick from Disney), have we gotten our morality so screwed up that we will ruin a career for a belief but allow possible DANGEROUS BEHAVIOR to become a norm?  Not a big fan of these guys before , and will be less of one in the future.   Doubt McD or Beane drink much while working on the Bills,,,,,,,except if they keep dipping into that Carolina well!  😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

I will always remember seeing Rick Jeanneret in the press area in the old Aud.  This was a LONG time ago...

It was maybe 15 minutes before the start of the game and there he was, smoking a butt and he had a huge clear plastic beer glass filled to the top.

LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1