Jason Sanders new contract for Miami

Utah John

41 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Well, Josh Allen scored a total of 306 points all of last year. ( I think that's correct)

While Tyler Bass scored a total 167 points all of last year.

Bass just finished his rookie year, and single-handedly won us the Jets game last year.

So.... If I'm GM of the Bills I'm giving Bass a 20M/year contract.

Really good year for Josh.  I just looked up Tom Brady's career and he averaged 191 points per season in his 19 years.

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

Miami has signed their placekicker, Jason Sanders, to a $22M extension with $10M guaranteed.  This is how a team with a lot of cap space goes to a team with not much cap space, without actually getting better.

$942K cap hit in 2021.

It is a lot, but won't hurt them this year. Is he good? I don't really even know.

EDIT:  Oh, and this is an extension, not a contract. Even less onerous. So he's actually under contract now for 6 years and $22.9 M. 

That's no problem at all. Reasonable value.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, costrovs said:

Well, Josh Allen scored a total of 306 points all of last year. ( I think that's correct)

While Tyler Bass scored a total 167 points all of last year.

Bass just finished his rookie year, and single-handedly won us the Jets game last year.

So.... If I'm GM of the Bills I'm giving Bass a 20M/year contract.

The difference being that on Josh Allen's points, Josh Allen and the offense drove all the way down the field and made those points happen, whereas on Tyler Bass's points, Josh Allen and the offense drove us all the way down the field and made those points happen before the kicker performed a feat that even the worst of them succeed at around 70% of the time.

There's a huge huge difference

And no, Bass absolutely did NOT "single-handedly" win us any games, any more than Josh Allen did. But Allen was vastly more valuable in contributing to those wins than the kicker was. 

I hear you, you're being sarcastic, but some people really think this way.

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I still don’t get the criticism. Go look at what kickers make and this isn’t crazy by any stretch. 

Yup. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2021 at 5:48 PM, Beast said:

It's over a five year period. I don't think this will cripple them.

That is still over 4m per year for a kicker who is 24 of 32 from between 40-49yds in his career.

That is the range most FG are kicked in.

Although his accuracy went up from 79% in 2019 to 92% in 2020.  

7 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

They still need a QB who can win a big game!!

Not really now they just need him to get to the 20 for a 37yd FG where this guy is almost perfect ;) 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:53 PM, Bangarang said:

$22mil over 5 years for one of the best kickers in the league doesn’t seem like anything worth criticizing. 

I agree that it’s not.  The AAV on that deal puts him 4th among kickers.  Seems very reasonable to me. 

On 2/17/2021 at 4:15 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Damn....the Dolphins just keep getting better and making moves champions make.  I'm terrified of them next year now.

If they get Watson, they will be competing for the AFC East with us.  in a  hurry !