Position Group least in need of a move

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He opted out.

The Bills cut Gaines.  Gaines opted out in 2020 for covid so the Bills could have had him in 2021 for a reasonable salary of under $1 million. 

Seems like something happened because J Norman didn't secure the position - especially at his price point.  Very well could be the FO is comfortable and like Wallace/Jackson/Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Bills cut Gaines.  Gaines opted out in 2020 for covid so the Bills could have had him in 2021 for a reasonable salary of under $1 million. 

Seems like something happened because J Norman didn't secure the position - especially at his price point.  Very well could be the FO is comfortable and like Wallace/Jackson/Johnson.

They could but he was a stab in the dark at this point anyway. If the Bills want to bring him back at any point in the offseason he would likely be available.

I feel that corner could be the position least in need, but it depends on the front 7 and scheme.

vs the chiefs, while we didn’t get any pressure on Mahomes, the KC route runners were running WIDE open. KC had 2 completions that had a bills defender working a yard of the reception. Mahomes wasn’t scrambling around creating more

time. He’d drop back and deliver.  

why were there only defenders within a yard on 2 occasions?   The scheme?  The ability of the corners?  Likely both.  The coaches called for the scheme because he didn’t have faith in the corners could keep the WRs in front of them is my uneducated hunch.

if that’s the case, than maybe we do need an upgrade at CB2.  We took Tre’Davious at 27.  If there’s a talent like him at 30 and we can pair them for the next 5 years, it could be the way to go.  That can help out pass rush. 

metrics say that our pass rush win rate was 2nd in the league.  Is it that our pass rushers are winning, but the QBs are getting rid of the ball too fast for them to get the sack because our corners are: A:  being asked to play off because they aren’t trusted by the play callers.  B:  not good enough to read and react quick enough to stop the completions.

idk what the problem is, but I think it can be fixed in multiple ways.  We may have to just choose to attack this in a manner that is most affordable 

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They need to make adjustments to their scheme. More man cover guys. Can’t just play a zone defense and expect to be a consistently good defense. I know they mixed it up a little but they need better personnel in the secondary to be more multiple instead of a one trick pony defensively. 

Agreed.

if that’s the plan, than CB should be upgraded.  

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They need to make adjustments to their scheme. More man cover guys. Can’t just play a zone defense and expect to be a consistently good defense. I know they mixed it up a little but they need better personnel in the secondary to be more multiple instead of a one trick pony defensively. 

They do mix up what Tre does. Because they trust him. They can't mix up what Levi does because he can only do what they ask him to do but he does it consistently and in the way they ask him to do it. Maybe with more talent at the #2 corner spot they'd be more willing to mix it up. But this is a zone defense and it is going to stay a zone defense. They can't rip the whole structure up, that is baby out with the bathwater territory. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Ok, but something needs to change. Can’t keep doing the same thing and expecting the same results against a team like KC. As NewEra pointed out, even when Mahomes was dropping back and getting rid of the ball quickly guys were wide open for easy decent gains. Better pass rushers won’t make much a difference when he’s getting rid of the ball that quickly and guys are still wide open in the soft zone. 

A lot of the zone was not soft zone, some of it was.... particularly on Kelce... but some of it is just KC having guys who beat ours.  I get it Mahomes is better against zone than man, but the Bills can't rip up their whole scheme in response. They have to find more wrinkles they can use. Especially for the long term. The idea that the Bills can pay a top end Franchise QB $40m per and pay enough prime defenders to move to a more man focused defense on the back end to slow down Mahomes is for the birds IMO.

TBH, I would lose no sleep at all if they took a CB with the #30.

It would improve the team, and give us a solid tandem for the next 5 years.

I also like the idea that that can prevent some of the effects of pre snap movement. You got two quality corners, you don’t have to have one following a #1 wr around.

Our guys can just concentrate on their assignments.

I agree with QB and receivers least in need of an upgrade

now as to the greatest need its definitely the Mascot-Billy Buffalo has to go either that or the fans. The Bills didn't play their best (they were still good and eked out two wins) in the playoffs but that combo of Billy and the fans seemed to hurt the Bills morale. if you look at those 20 non-playoff years the one constant was Billy. I thought about maybe some miscegenation by combining Billy and SabreTooth but we would likely end up with the worst of both worlds with an offense that can't score and a defense that's always out of position.

So put me down for replacing the Mascot as the first step in securing a super bowl in 2020.

I’ll probably be flamed for this, but I’m not as concerned about RB as a lot of folks are.  It became obvious this season that the Bills are now a pass-first team.  I’d like to see them incorporate more draws and counters but I’ve still got confidence in Singletary and Moss showed flashes of being that guy who will get tough yards when needed (and can catch).  Both were decent in blitz pickup.  I mean, if a talent like Harris or Etienne fell into their laps that’s one thing, but on offense I’m much more interested in drafting another WR, upgrading the OL, and finding an answer at TE.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

I’ll probably be flamed for this, but I’m not as concerned about RB as a lot of folks are.  It became obvious this season that the Bills are now a pass-first team.  I’d like to see them incorporate more draws and counters but I’ve still got confidence in Singletary and Moss showed flashes of being that guy who will get tough yards when needed (and can catch).  Both were decent in blitz pickup.  I mean, if a talent like Harris or Etienne fell into their laps that’s one thing, but on offense I’m much more interested in drafting another WR, upgrading the OL, and finding an answer at TE.

The real question is how much of the run game issues are due to the run blocking and how much is on the RBs.  I don’t know for sure, but I’d wager it’s more of the former than the latter - and that the issues were mostly on the interior.  At least that’s what my eyes told me (though I’ll admit that I wasn’t focusing on that).  I wouldn’t say no to a stud RB, but I’m not using a ton of capital on one.   I’d rather see the OL shored up, including retaining Williams.  It’ll be interesting to see how Beane prioritizes things this offseason. 

Matt Parino just said this on his podcast yesterday.

I think that there's a belief, from conversations I have within the organization, that they need to elevate the level play at that CB2 spot.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/shout-football-podcast-on-buffalo-bills-matt-parrino/id1507446314?i=1000510105282

Happens at 14:50

On 2/16/2021 at 3:42 PM, Brennan Huff said:

Back up QB could use some tweaking 

Always the s... stir.  That was a funny thread last year.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:22 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably WR. We've got 4 that can play.

When not injured all at the same time in the Championship game.  That was fun.  We might even see a surprise from Hodgins given a good camp last year before the injury.  If we cut Brown, and I’m not suggesting g we should do that as he was banged up this year, but might be a necessity, we need speed.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:22 AM, ScottLaw said:

Ok, but something needs to change. Can’t keep doing the same thing and expecting the same results against a team like KC. As NewEra pointed out, even when Mahomes was dropping back and getting rid of the ball quickly guys were wide open for easy, decent gains. Better pass rushers won’t make much a difference when he’s getting rid of the ball that quickly and guys are still wide open in the soft zone. 

That is scheme not player talent.  Sure guys get beat off the line from time to time but mostly it is McD and Frazier playing these guys a few yards off the LOS.  The played the same way against Baltimore it's just that Baltimore dropped some easy passes early in the game.

CB2 play will be just fine with the players they have. It's should be all about the front 7 getting better.