Position Group least in need of a move

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Pass rush will cure CB issues 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

Team Pass Rush Win Rate

1. Pittsburgh Steelers, 54%
2. Buffalo Bills, 52%
3. Washington Football Team, 50%
4. Atlanta Falcons, 49%
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 49%

Not sure how good their metrics are, but this and some other things indicate that we're not entirely bad at rushing the passer. 

• Like (+1) 1

If we're talking about building this team to beat the chiefs I'd love some more speed in the room. The Bucs being able to press the line some and play man coverage with guys like Jamel Dean (4.30 40 yard dash) and Sean Murphy-Bunting (4.42) made a huge difference when it came to containig Hill and Hardman. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

Not sure how good their metrics are, but this and some other things indicate that we're not entirely bad at rushing the passer. 

Let me correct myself and say sacks/pass rush

As for QB, the back-up position needs to be addressed.  Barkley is a FA and was not good anyways.  It will be interesting to see if Beane tries to save some cap space and just rolls with two QBs in 2021.  

I thought about WR and it's hard to argue. Like CB the WR group has a true #1 and questions at #2. But the WR group could be looking at losing Brown, McKenzie, and Roberts.  That is half of the top 6.  My off-season has them letting Roberts walk, and replacing his return abilities with a DB either at safety or CB.  I would still want Brown back on a reworked deal, but that may be difficult to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The mythical Gaines was brought in along with J Norman (and drafting of Jackson) to shore up the weak point of the defense - L Wallace CB2.

Gaines was under a million bucks, and when on the field, a good CB.  Thought they would jettison Norman and go with Gaines.  He must of been a bad boy during covid.

Indeed - when on the field.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Then trade down and get an extra pick. They need multiple front 7 defenders and a TE in the draft.

And no matter how much Beane says it, he drafts for need almost every time.

Yup, Beane said as much in interviews during last years draft, but that’s nothing new league wide though,  the vast majority of all teams picks are what a given team considers BPA at a position of need, it’s totally subjective from team to team, strict BPA rarely happens, although the myth that it happens most of the time stubbornly persists. 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

What if Safety or CB is clearly the BPA at #30?

If corner is clearly the BPA you certainly take it. That being said I think corner is less needy then the other two portions of the defense right this second. I hope we get some decent D tackles this year

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I actually see CB as a rather large need.... I think an upgrade to Levi would be very important, and I'm not sure Jackson showed enough to be penciled in as the starter... Levi vs. Dane competing in camp isn't the end of the world, but it would be good to improve that. 

I also disagree about having cheap rookies return kicks. We tried that for a couple years with Ray-Ray and McKenzie. That's why we signed Roberts. Not saying Roberts needs to be the guy, but I would prefer they have a vet plan for returner. 

I see your points. My thought is they only have so much to spend and upgrading beyond Levi would cost a fair amount.

My take on return guys is the position is near obsolete with the current rules. Roberts on a vet minimum salary, sure I’d do that. But again they need to save money somewhere.  If I’m McD I’m going dumpster diving for a return guy with sure hands and finding UDFA to take Matakevich’s spot.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I see your points. My thought is they only have so much to spend and upgrading beyond Levi would cost a fair amount.

My take on return guys is the position is near obsolete with the current rules. Roberts on a vet minimum salary, sure I’d do that. But again they need to save money somewhere.  If I’m McD I’m going dumpster diving for a return guy with sure hands and finding UDFA to take Matakevich’s spot.

The bills had the 6th best avg starting spot, the 4th best yards per return on punts, and the best yard per returns on kicks. 

I completely disagree that it’s obsolete. Roberts is a valuable asset and unless they have a sure thing to take his role, I’d like to keep him. 

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I actually see CB as a rather large need.... I think an upgrade to Levi would be very important, and I'm not sure Jackson showed enough to be penciled in as the starter... Levi vs. Dane competing in camp isn't the end of the world, but it would be good to improve that. 

I also disagree about having cheap rookies return kicks. We tried that for a couple years with Ray-Ray and McKenzie. That's why we signed Roberts. Not saying Roberts needs to be the guy, but I would prefer they have a vet plan for returner. 

I agree. Levi still hasn’t shown enough consistency and maybe he never will.  Taron Johnson had some very big plays but overall he got toasted.  I don’t know that Norman is the answer either.  In a passing league, you can never have enough talent at CB.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

WR

Well , i could go for a better backup. Bring back Fitz !!

Bite your tongue!!  The Fitz jinx on starting QBs is real!

Edited by ColeB
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The mythical Gaines was brought in along with J Norman (and drafting of Jackson) to shore up the weak point of the defense - L Wallace CB2.

Gaines was under a million bucks, and when on the field, a good CB.  Thought they would jettison Norman and go with Gaines.  He must of been a bad boy during covid.

He opted out.

10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

What if Safety or CB is clearly the BPA at #30?

Pick them. Though I'd be surprised if it is. Don't love this DB group. There are only 4 corners and 1 safety I'd consider as high as #30 and I reckon at least 4 of those 5 guys will be gone.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Back up QB could use some tweaking 

That is our top need from what that goof stated months ago.  Must focus on the backup QB.  That was funny Huff.

OP, I agree.  So much has been said about CB opposite Tre, but we have three top flight people as DB’s, and I’m comfortable with the guys you stated.  If we get that Edge Rusher, and Star back, we could get back to that top 4 defenses like we had the last two years prior to 20.

Whether O Line, RB, Edge, and possible a replacement for Milano (which I hate that idea but it’s a possible reality).

Edited by machine gun kelly