Could the Bills be looking to incorporate a Thug OL?

Tipster19

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Yes/no as if we didn't trade Teller we might not have traded for Diggs (see us having extra draft picks). 

who needs the best receiver in the NFL when we could have a guy that PFF says is a good OL.  yikes we'll be in 7-9 hell forever

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a day 3 flier at best for me for exactly those reasons. The defensive linemen he is going to be facing week in and week out in the NFL have a lot more fast twitch and will be past him before he has lumbered up out of his stance and got his hands on them. I suspect he will end up with a LOT of holding penalties as a result. Although if the NFL is going to be as lax with holding moving forward as it was this past season maybe that should worry me less. Just not my kind of prospect at all and I actually think he will go a lot lower than people expect. I have seen a lot of people with round 2 grades on him but I'd be shocked if he goes before late round 3.

He’s the type of player that’s hurt by the combine changes. Showing up around 335-340 and showing some burst would be good for his draft stock. 

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You seem to be somehow confusing "stepping up as a tough guy" or being an enforcer, with being a physical OL.

Other teams get paid.  Their front 7 are strong and physical. 

Therefore, technique matters.

Exactly. This whole "tough guys" or "thugs" thing is way overdone. Look at the best lines in football. By the end of the year, Tampa was up there. Who's the "thug" on the Tampa O line? Probably the best move they made last offseason (outside of, umm, signing that other guy) was moving up to draft Tristan Wirfs - a tackle known for huge size/athleticism, but also characterized as a guy who "plays under control" rather than as "nasty" or "mean" or "a thug."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/7/21208681/tristan-wirfs-nfl-draft-2020-tackle-iowa-film-highlights-projection-bucs-tom-brady

The biggest single factor in how the KC offensive line failed in the Super Bowl was the loss of Pro Bowler Eric Fisher at LT, also a guy who is just damn good without ever being referred to as a "thug." They were also missing a couple other (non-thug) starters on the line (not even counting Duvernay-Tardif, M.D., who is kind of a healer and protector rather than a destroyer) and the whole thing fell apart. In fact, their O line was at its best when anchored by non-thug Mitch Morse.

So go ahead, draft and acquire thugs, be the Raiders of Al Davis' last years on earth, be the most penalized team in football and go 5-11 to 8-8 every year with tough guy coach Tom Cable setting the thug tone.

Or build a line of good athletes who understand their roles and schemes and maybe win something.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Exactly. This whole "tough guys" or "thugs" thing is way overdone. Look at the best lines in football. By the end of the year, Tampa was up there. Who's the "thug" on the Tampa O line? Probably the best move they made last offseason (outside of, umm, signing that other guy) was moving up to draft Tristan Wirfs - a tackle known for huge size/athleticism, but also characterized as a guy who "plays under control" rather than as "nasty" or "mean" or "a thug."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/7/21208681/tristan-wirfs-nfl-draft-2020-tackle-iowa-film-highlights-projection-bucs-tom-brady

The biggest single factor in how the KC offensive line failed in the Super Bowl was the loss of Pro Bowler Eric Fisher at LT, also a guy who is just damn good without ever being referred to as a "thug." They were also missing a couple other (non-thug) starters on the line (not even counting Duvernay-Tardif, M.D., who is kind of a healer and protector rather than a destroyer) and the whole thing fell apart. In fact, their O line was at its best when anchored by non-thug Mitch Morse.

So go ahead, draft and acquire thugs, be the Raiders of Al Davis' last years on earth, be the most penalized team in football and go 5-11 to 8-8 every year with tough guy coach Tom Cable setting the thug tone.

Or build a line of good athletes who understand their roles and schemes and maybe win something.

That’s good. I also noticed that when their QB got smashed nobody came to his defense either. I enjoyed when Kiko tried to pull his dirty play against Allen and Jordan Mills piled on him. I also believe that little melee helped to contribute to Teller getting traded imo.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:03 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I respect you’re opinion ND, I just don’t know.  They kept flip flopping him between tackle and guard that this year to me will be telling.  If healthy and only at guard, if he’s a bust, ok, move on.  I just think they weren’t sure where to place him until hurt.  You might be right.  My guess is they will evaluate in 2021 and then make a decision, whether starter, backup, ps, or cut.

I will give him another season,  if healthy and he has trouble staying on the field then i would say he is looking like a bust

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Agree 1

On 2/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, deanjf said:

Ritchie blew huge holes open for Shady...

while he is basically a psycho who is one bad night from going totally off the rails, ritchie was loved by all of his teammates (except the one kid he bullied into retirement) and is a monster guard.

• Like (+1) 1