Ex-Panther alert - Carolina set to release Pro Bowl DT Kawann Short

I honestly didn't know this dude was still in the league. I know he had a few solid seasons several years ago but he fell off the face of the Earth after that. I don't doubt that they'll at least inquire with his agent and see what kinda shape he's in. Could be a Daryl Williams type thing. Or the Vontae Davis thing like the guy said in the tweet. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Like Daryl Williams was last year.  He was awful in 2019.  2M got it done and was one of the best free agent signings in the entire league....not just for the Bills.

I just don’t understand why “ex-Carolina panther” is the foundation for not wanting him.    We’ve had some success with some ex Carolina panthers.  Williams being a prime example.  Klein turned out to be a solid addition after a tough start.  Marlowe has made some nice plays.  Butler didn’t set the world on fire, but him playing 1T helped turn around our run D that was missing Star.

If he’s healthy and cheap....I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with this.  When healthy, he was a beast.  If he’s clearly lost a few steps or wants too

much money, I get not wanting him.

But short wouldn’t be playing 1T backing up star.....which is what harrison should be doing 

Norman was fine as a rotational corner and helped spark the defense in several games

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills don't need DTs. They need edge rushers.  Hard pass.  He is 32.  They need to get younger, bigger, and faster on the edge.  

I Agree   Hopefully this is not a cost saving move just to fill a gap as we release others for cap space. Cover 1 one did short review on him and he has been oft injured , unavailable.   He is 32. Might be ok along with star. But cover 1 guys really felt he was on last legs of career with possible year or two of rotation play left. They were not very high on him. Doubt if this Carolina cast off system we keep going to should be an answer for us. Why keep doing this with guys from an organization less successful now and it’s like we don’t trust our own pro Personel department to evaluate talent. Given lack of impressive guys from panthers lately hopefully we quit going to this well. Just wonder if beane is cutting guys to get under cap and then this guy is low tier replacement. Only saying this since he was good once , but now two year removed from impactful playing. I respect cover 1 with film e v a l and if they weren’t greatly impressed, I trust them as their analysis was spot on much of last year. They are currently doing a really nice evaluation of the o line draft prospects that could be good for the bills. Going on their YouTube channel,right now live at 825 pm Tuesday evening. Good watch of possible o line in draft for us to consider with technique breakdown of actual film from college this year. Nice stuff imho. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Norman was fine as a rotational corner and helped spark the defense in several games

Not sure about several, but he for sure did in the game knocking the ball loose. I think he definitely struggled more than he made plays. Also he's lost a step or 2, but least he knows the D very well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Guys that wear #99 are aggravating ....:thumbdown:

Some are Lazy (Dareus)

Some can't make up their mind on ANYTHING (JJ Watt)

Now this Short guy., 2 shoulder surgeries in 2 years ....Pass

I mean we can probably cross off shoulder surgery as a possible injury next year....

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I disagree.  A big part of their issues on defense was how easily offensive lines could push around the middle of the defense.  Many have said that lacking a true space eating DT also is why Edmunds struggled.  You may not like Short, but I don’t think you can say the Bills don’t need DT’s.  We aren’t even 100% that Star comes back next season

I’m assuming Star comes back. That gives them Star, Oliver, Phillips, and Zimmer. They will have a fifth player that can play DE but also pick up some snaps as a nickle DT. That could be Jefferson or Butler as I don’t think Beane will cut ties with both those two and Addison all at the same time. That is more than enough cap space allocated to DT. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Another meh ex Carolina Panther signing.... They overvalue and overpay their ex players.

Norman was very critical to winning that Raiders game and made a few plays here and there, at least he produced something of value. Now you can argue that he didn't produce enough for the money he got but the team got some quality play for that signing.

If Norman wants to come back at or near the vet minimum I would bring him into camp. 

• Like (+1) 3