What's Tyrel Dodson future with this team?

Obviously he didn't play much due to injury. But I thought he was pretty decent when he was on the field. Hoped to see more of him, but maybe he will get through next season without too much injury and play a lot more.

Don't know if he can fill Malino's shoes, but he did show a little promise and made some plays, So will be interesting to see.

I wouldn’t automatically assume Milano is gone. There’s going to be a lot of FA’s looking for big $ that’s not going to be there with the lower cap # for the 21-22 season.

I expect to see more one year/short term deals than normal with guys betting on themselves to get that big deal the following season.

10 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Darren Lee is sitting there as the forgotten man. If and when Milano leaves I can see the Bills replacing Milano with a combo of Dotson, Lee , Smith & a second day rookie . 😀

They’d have to sign him first.  His contract expired 

I saw somewhere that Lee has a contract with the Bills he can sign when he wants too. He’s probably waiting to see if someone else offers him a better deal. But to your point he is not currently under contract. The coaches & staff got a long look at him this year. 

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Joe Marino in his podcast about his our Linebackers actually brought up a good point.  Could Dodson be someone that could fill Milano's spot if/he when he leaves?  He thought Dodson looked decent in his limited time he had and he's young.  McDermott keeps bringing him back so he seems to like him.

I know many on here believe Edmunds best spot is on the outside so maybe Dodson plays the Mike next year?

Marino firmly believes Milano is a goner....won't be able to afford him.

One comment is that Dodson was active in the final regular season games, but played almost exclusively on special teams (68% of ST snaps, 2% of defensive snaps).

ST'ers Tyler Matakevich (48%) seemed to sub in for Edmunds (51%) at MLB and played well; Andre Smith (25%) and AJ Klein (24%) seemed to sub in for Milano.

I don't know what that says. 

It could say that Dodson was 3 weeks off IR and still getting back from a hamstring injury. 

But it could say that Matakevich and Smith have passed him on the depth chart. 

The problem with Dodson is that he missed all of last year on IR, and then spent 7 weeks on IR this season with a hammie (I think).  So if we don't like Milano because he's injured too much missing 7 games this season, what do we say about Dodson?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One comment is that Dodson was active in the final regular season games, but played almost exclusively on special teams (68% of ST snaps, 2% of defensive snaps).

ST'ers Tyler Matakevich (48%) seemed to sub in for Edmunds (51%) at MLB and played well; Andre Smith (25%) and AJ Klein (24%) seemed to sub in for Milano.

It could say that Dodson was 3 weeks off IR and still getting back from a hamstring injury. 

The problem with Dodson is that he missed all of last year on IR, and then spent 7 weeks on IR this season with a hammie (I think).  So if we don't like Milano because he's injured too much missing 7 games this season, what do we say about Dodson?

I guess the answer to the question posed by the op might be: injury release.

7 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I guess the answer to the question posed by the op might be: injury release.

Unclear. 

Remember sometimes IR is used as a way to stash a player that a team likes, but wants development time for so it doesn't necessarily mean he's truly been injured that seriously or long.

He's cheap and under contract for 2021, so my guess is that they keep him at least through camp and to see what he does this off-season

That said, I don't see any signs that they count on him as an emerging starter at this time and I'm not sure what Joe Marino sees that points this way.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Joe Marino in his podcast about his our Linebackers actually brought up a good point.  Could Dodson be someone that could fill Milano's spot if/he when he leaves?  He thought Dodson looked decent in his limited time he had and he's young.  McDermott keeps bringing him back so he seems to like him.

I know many on here believe Edmunds best spot is on the outside so maybe Dodson plays the Mike next year?

Marino firmly believes Milano is a goner....won't be able to afford him.

I think they are counting on Dodson to compete for Milano’s spot, but I don’t think they are penciling him as starter.  I can see the Bills brining in some completion but they did stand by Dodson through his suspension so they obviously value what he brings 

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unclear. 

Remember sometimes IR is used as a way to stash a player that a team likes, but wants development time for so it doesn't necessarily mean he's truly been injured that seriously or long.

He's cheap and under contract for 2021, so my guess is that they keep him at least through camp and to see what he does this off-season

That said, I don't see any signs that they count on him as an emerging starter at this time and I'm not sure what Joe Marino sees that points this way.

Sure, but I don't see that being the case here. At least it looks like the Bills are doubtful, because as you pointed out, he didn't seem to get on the field much when he was healthy. I'm thinking it will be in the Bills interest to play him a lot in the preseason to see if he can hold up but given the past it seems likely he won't. It will also be telling if we draft someone for that backup mlb spot too.

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Sure, but I don't see that being the case here. At least it looks like the Bills are doubtful, because as you pointed out, he didn't seem to get on the field much when he was healthy. I'm thinking it will be in the Bills interest to play him a lot in the preseason to see if he can hold up but given the past it seems likely he won't. It will also be telling if we draft someone for that backup mlb spot too.

I think we're due in any case.  Haven't drafted a LB since Edmunds in 2018 and Cookie (Milano) in 2017

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Dodson is just a depth insurance policy.  I could see McD signing Darron Lee to a cheap show me deal and draft a hybrid LB/S in the 2nd or 3rd.