The Aud Thread

4_kidd_4

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My first ever concert was seeing Foreigner at the Aud, with Billy Squier opening.

I'm guessing it was around 1980. 

I was little kid and if you can believe it, my mom took me, my older sister, and her best friend.

I remember the lights going on at the intermission and the entire auditorium was filled with one giant smoke cloud that hung up near the ceiling.  Probably made up of about 50% cigarette smoke and 50% pot.

LOL

Whoa - that was my first concert too. My sister and brother-in-law took me and two friends; they dropped us off at the show and picked us up after. (It was '79, by the way.)

I remember the cloud. We may or may not have contributed to it. 😉

I worked for the Sabres as a temp in the ticket department in the spring and summer of 1996. My first week was the last week of games at the Aud. For the last game against the Whalers, Rick and Lorenz came to the ticket offices (not at the box offices, the ticket offices were upstairs) to hang out before the game. Someone asked Rick if he wanted to take one of the sound baffles to the new Arena. Rick in total Rick fashion said, "I've breathed in that ***** crap for years. I'm probably going to have some weird disease. I'm done with those ***** things". (Yes, the profanity was included). 

One time I was leaving the Aud in the summer, and I walked across the floor. As I was at about where center ice would be, an absolutely huge rat ran out of the Zamboni entrance. There we were. Man vs. giant Rat. I took one step forward, and the rat turned and ran back in the Zamboni entrance. 

For the final game and the closing ceremonies, they would lower the banners from the rafters. What no one was expecting, was the banners were attached to solid lead pipes. Heavy as all get out. The players were struggling a bit skating them off the ice. Those of us taking the banners from the players were struggling a LOT. Me and another guy were carrying one of the pipes to the dressing room area, when Lafantaine was walking out to the ice. Pat is a huge practical joker, and takes any opportunity to make a joke, and to make you feel bad. So as we're walking back, Pat grabs the pipe, steps back to the support structure for the lower Gold seats, and just screams, "you're pinning me against the bleachers"!  We were like freaking out! Then Pat lets go, pats us on the head, and heads out toward the ice. Speaking of Pat's practical jokes, remind me to tell the story of what Pat did to Matthew Barnaby and Jason Dawe. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

That could be it.  I believe there were 2 though symetrically placed (maybe 4, with what was on the broadcast camera side).  Maybe I can ID it with a few of the blemishes there.  

Nice. I’ll look thru my files and see if I have any more shots of them.

14 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Whoa - that was my first concert too. My sister and brother-in-law took me and two friends; they dropped us off at the show and picked us up after. (It was '79, by the way.)

I remember the cloud. We may or may not have contributed to it. 😉

Yeah, I did some googling after I posted that and it looks like our first concert was October 26, 1979.

I would have been 8!  

My mom bought me a pin which I think I still have that said "STROKE ME".

LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, I did some googling after I posted that and it looks like our first concert was October 26, 1979.

I would have been 8!  

My mom bought me a pin which I think I still have that said "STROKE ME".

LOL

I was one day shy of my 16th birthday. I'm happy to say that my musical taste improved with age.

Just now, WhoTom said:

I was one day shy of my 16th birthday. I'm happy to say that my musical taste improved with age.

LOL.  

I was just thinking the same thing!

I'm not entirely sure how I ended up at the concert to be honest.  I think it was a product of wanting to be included in what was really an activity of my older sister and her buddy.

Which is kind of funny, as my sister and her buddy would have been like 12 and thinking to themselves, in 1979, "Foreigner is coming to town; we gotta go!"

LOL

18 hours ago, Beast said:

There really was no better place. It was all about hockey.

Funny you write that; when I think back to my initial experiences in the Aud watching a hockey game, there is one that sticks out above the rest.  

When someone scored a goal my instinct was to see the replay, as I got to do at home watching on TV.

Nope! No instant replay available!  As a fan, you had to pay attention, live in the moment, and catch the action the first time around or it was gone forever.

Imagine that...

• Like (+1) 1

My family had season tix for about 10 years.  Our seats were in the lower bowl near some "bump out" in a corner (player side, directly across the Zamboni access).  I can't find a seating chart readable enough to find a section number to reference.  There was only one of these "bump outs" in the arena, never knew why that was there / what it was for.

Edited by BuffaloBud

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.