TE in the draft - College football fans, your thoughts?

Hapless Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Many bigger needs, in my opinion.  I’d love a really top-notch TE, but those are hard to come by and OL, DE, DT, LB, CB are bigger needs, in my opinion.

I was asking for some info on TE in the draft class, specifically opinions on Brevin Jordan

Not for draft prioritization

Anyone?

Thanks

• Haha (+1) 1

Sal Maiorana's  Rochester Democrat and Chronicle article of 2/9/2021 is dismissive I would say.

More or less saying the draft class is Pitts and Freiermuth and that is it. He mentions Jordan and Hunter Long as "depth options".

A good amount of draft simulators that I have tried have the Jaguars taking Freiermuth with the 1st pick of Round 2.

I am interested in Long given he has the second best output in terms of catches and yards after Pitts.

Article below also talks about free agent tight ends, as referred to above.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-could-use-an-upgrade-at-tight-end-here-are-their-options-in-draft-and-free-agency/ar-BB1dwA1G

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was asking for some info on TE in the draft class, specifically opinions on Brevin Jordan

Not for draft prioritization

Anyone?

Thanks

Not really done the TE class beyond Pitts yet, but have been watching a fair amount of Miami tape for the guys they have on the other side of the ball. Jordan reminds me a bit of Charles Clay (and I mean when he was good not when he was hobbling around on one knee his final 2 seasons here). I think he can block but I wouldn't call him a blocking tight end, he can line up in the slot, the backfield or inline and he is athletic enough to be a passing game weapon though he is unrefined in his route running. He is a name I have highlighted to circle back to when I really get stuck into the tight ends at a later date. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, quincy said:

Sal Maiorana's  Rochester Democrat and Chronicle article of 2/9/2021 is dismissive I would say.

More or less saying the draft class is Pitts and Freiermuth and that is it. He mentions Jordan and Hunter Long as "depth options".

A good amount of draft simulators that I have tried have the Jaguars taking Freiermuth with the 1st pick of Round 2.

I am interested in Long given he has the second best output in terms of catches and yards after Pitts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-could-use-an-upgrade-at-tight-end-here-are-their-options-in-draft-and-free-agency/ar-BB1dwA1G

Sal seems to be deferring to The Athletic’s Dane Brugler for his opinions on the TE draft class.  I have no knowledge of this guy and how accurate or insightful his draft opinions are.  Anyone?

What I found of interest was the full quote from Beane's press conference:

“I thought it was up and down, to be honest with you,” Beane said when he was asked to assess the tight end group. “It was never where the opposing defense was like, ‘Man, we’ve got to stop their tight ends from going off.’ So we’ll look to that group. At the end of the day we’d love to have a guy like what we just faced (Kelce), but they don’t come very often. We’ve got some guys here we want to continue to develop and see what happens. Obviously if there’s ways to add competition, whether that’s in free agency or the draft, we would do that, as well.”

That doesn't sound to me like a guy with FA TE or draft pick TE at the top of his list.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 2:37 PM, quincy said:

I am a sports journalist myself and I write for my publicity and also for the service https://gradesfixer.com/essay-types/satire-essays/ which is based in London. And his publications are used in college and universities.

I totally agree with that!

Edited by Mark90

The TE position this offseason is rough. Few great options anywhere, frankly, and those top-notch ones will cost a premium -- either in cap space or draft capital.

There's a lot to like about Jordan, I think Delanie Walker is a decent comp for him -- smaller than your average TE, but can be effective in both the vertical passing game as well as blocking. While he's not a SPARQ superstar, he's a plenty good enough athlete to be a weapon in a vertical offense like ours. Will he be the next Kelce/Kittle/Waller? Probably not, but we could certainly do way worse. Again though, with it being a weak class, I won't at all be surprised if someone likes him enough to make him a 2nd rd. pick, which probably takes him out of play for us.

If you're looking for a high ceiling prospect at a lower price, take a look at Tre McKitty. He'll go cheaper than Jordan and is a bigger and superior athlete. He bounced around schools in college, so the production and tape suggests a predictable lack of chemistry and opportunity. He's far from a sure thing, but that also corresponds to his price...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.